Sandro Tonali: charged by FA after alleged betting breaches / unlikely to serve additional ban (Hope)

The Prophet

I think charging him is fair enough, if he's broken the rules while under FA jurisdiction. 

I'm sure common sense will prevail and "time served" will apply. Unless they would have banned him for longer than the 10 months he was given which seems unlikely given Toney only received eight.

1 minute ago, Keegans Export said:

I think charging him is fair enough, if he's broken the rules while under FA jurisdiction. 

I'm sure common sense will prevail and "time served" will apply. Unless they would have banned him for longer than the 10 months he was given which seems unlikely given Toney only received eight.

But the Red shirts may disagree! 

7 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

It does seem like odd timing, there's no reason it should have taken 5-6 months to investigate this further by the English FA, it certainly feels like they were waiting for sufficient time to pass so that any ban issued now might overlap the Italian ban. 8 months from April stretching the ban to the end of 2024, watch.

Id argue anything like 8 months would be a disgrace anyway, not that it would affect him running concurrently. Basically twice the ban Toney got for under a quarter of the offences given Toney missed the close season and two deadrubber games.

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

They will definitely give him a fresh new ban, no reason this needed to take so long. 

They were probably scrawling through every channel they had, praying to find one bet placed after the initial charge. They're probably gutted they didn't. 

Just think if they had done this back in October, the ban would have run concurrent anyway.

The idea the FA fucking about for 6 months could cost Tonali more time out is ridiculous.

Fine him heavily. Give him 12 months suspended and move on.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

They were probably scrawling through every channel they had, praying to find one bet placed after the initial charge. They're probably gutted they didn't. 

The y have him on 50 charges. He’s fucked and the club were sleeping at the wheel. They should have been saying to the fa yeah he’s guilty but obviously he’s been punished in Italy and is undergoing treatment. Let’s get this all done asap so he doesn’t miss anymore football, instead it’s dragged on for 6 months for absolutely no reason. 

Edited by r0cafella

I’m not a conspiracy theorist but it’s in no doubt whatsoever that we’re public enemy no. 1 and we’ll be treated by a different set of standards than other clubs whenever possible. 

You have the biggest established six clubs who are close to untouchable even when there’s major issues there.

Then you have the other fourteen clubs. We are our own category that need to be put in our place at every turn by any means possible 

7 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

They will definitely give him a fresh new ban, no reason this needed to take so long. 

Maybe they were just being thorough in collecting all the evidence. I know the first instinct is to believe they took so long to add on more time out, but then they would have to face serious questions over Toney's ban, and as someone already mentioned, Paqueta as well.

Just now, r0cafella said:

The y have him on 50 charges. He’s fucked and the club were sleeping at the wheel. They should have been saying to the fa yeah he’s guilty but obviously he’s been punished in Italy and is undergoing treatment. Let’s get this all done asap so he doesn’t miss anymore football, instead it’s dragged on for 6 months for avs

The last bet was 12th October. He was charged 18th October. It would be ridiculous to wait until after he's already served a 10 month ban to then ban him for 8 months (Toney's ban length for example) on top of that, for the same offence.

Just now, geordie_b said:

Toney got 8 months for 232 breaches so I'm guessing 3-4 months for Tonali's 50 which should result in no additional ban as it'll run concurrently

Obviously depends on what Tonali bet on but almost 50 were bets on himself and Brentford/other teams he played for. Wonder how many matches each have missed in their repective bans

Just now, Jack27 said:

If the club really wanted to send a message they’d cut all ties with betting companies as sponsors 

Or if Tonali gets a further ban, take on a few more betting companies as sponsors just to show how fucked up the priorites of the FA are.

This was always coming; as is being said, the only thing worth a thought is whether or not his ban is extended. Truly outrageous if it is, like. 

30 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Brian Pinas ?

Des Hamilton ?

Stephan Guivarch 

Andreas Anderson 

Georgios Georgiadis

To be fair none of those talentless wastrels cost quite in Wor Sandro’s

ballpark.

FYI - think he’ll do Alreet for us, replying does not constitute endorsement of the opinion.

Have I missed something or didn't we already know this FA charge was coming? I feel like I've been waiting for it for a while now. Any ban will incur time already spent, surely. It's a non-story.