Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

Last night was a poor performance. The mitigating factor being he's a young lad returning home to his boyhood club after leaving a couple of months ago.

He's already shown there's a good player there, it's about gelling him into the team. It seems a bit early to be worrying.

Tonali was never going to hit the ground running. due to language problems.coming in to a new country etc,

we need to give the lad time to settle in. I dont think we will see the best of him until maybe the back end of this season.

Or even next season. we need to be patient with the lad. He is clearly a class act, but needs time and patience.

Edited by prefabtoon

23 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Last night was a poor performance. The mitigating factor being he's a young lad returning home to his boyhood club after leaving a couple of months ago.

He's already shown there's a good player there, it's about gelling him into the team. It seems a bit early to be worrying.

On this here forum it's never to early to be worrying. People worry about being worried.

It's worrying.

Edited by bobbydazzla

Anyone think it could be down to communication problems, Tonali, Bruno, Joelinton, Almiron, I don’t think any of them can speak much English at the moment and they’re not mind readers. It’s got to have some affect on the games surely?

It’ll be reet once they find his best position. 

An attacking LB like Hall would get our CM’s closer together. As of now him and Longstaff almost play as non central midfielders too far away and wide from Bruno who then gets too isolated easily. There’s too much space in the central area of the pitch for the opposition to exploit and personally I think it’s too flat too. We need someone taking some more depth in there, as well as someone providing more depth forward centrally too. I reckon Hall coming in would make our CM a bit tighter and being able to look more flexible and “3D” in the middle, especially in possession. We are not making the most of Bruno’s progressive passing as he has next to no one close to the side or in front of him to play to. 

I do wonder with all the games coming up and the injuries to Big Joe and Little Joe.  If he could ever be used in a 2 next to Bruno or Longstaff?

Howe seemed to move to this at times last season, usually more in game and not necessarily starting with it.  I can't think off the top of my head, but I have Southampton away in the cup and Brentford away on my mind.  There were definitely other instances and I feel like it helped us gain some control back in those games.  But I may just be remembering it like this to suit my point here.

We are going to see some rotation and we look light at centre mid currently.  We have a few options for a 10 or a more advanced midfielder in Gordon, Isak and Anderson.  Even Almiron, at a push.  As he played there before joining us by all accounts. 

Perhaps there was more fluidity and flexibility with positions last season with Joelinton and Willock in the side.  As they can play a couple of different positions and Joelinton plays three positions at once :love: so it was easier to do mid game.  But we do seem to be a bit too wide and far apart with our midfield 3 currently.  

I'm sure we will work the balance out one way or the other.  As another poster rightly mentioned in another thread.  If fans are noticing some of the imbalances, lack of quality going forward, gaps between the lines and midfield too wide etc etc.  Then I'm sure the meticulous Howe and his staff will have noticed all of this long before us and the Twitter tactic nerds did.  

i noticed a few times where he was open for a pass and it was the pass to make, only for Bruno to sort of do that slow down stand on the ball thing and decide to go down the right side. The team are not involving him enough.. it's obvious he's got passing range and is creative.

For a player of his experience, he looks quite nervous. Yes I know, he's new to the team and the country etc, but he needs to relax and get stuck in more. He's admitted that he's found the transition tough, of course.

He sometimes shows a heavier first touch than I would expect. Hopefully that's just nerves.

55 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

i noticed a few times where he was open for a pass and it was the pass to make, only for Bruno to sort of do that slow down stand on the ball thing and decide to go down the right side. The team are not involving him enough.. it's obvious he's got passing range and is creative.

Honestly think it's just a case of these guys learning each other's game, and it will improve. I also think getting a left back who can progress the ball will help the overall football in general, it's a team game and we still look like we play with three different sections. Defence, then midfield, then strikers. There's not that much fluidity between those areas at the moment.

My initial thoughts on him so far is he's very good on the ball and I'm excited to see how we can best utilise that but he's not as impactful as others off it, and we're perhaps suffering as a result of that.

Early days yet and certainly encouraged by some of the things I've seen from him but not 100% convinced just yet that he's the right fit us at the moment. 

Edited by Thumbheed

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

It's Hall I'm underwhelmed with. Seen nothing of him so far for us to convince me he's gonna be any good. Livramento doesn't look much better either. Hound them all out, the wankers.

Not gonna’ judge players that have either not played a minute for us or for only a very short time. FWIW I’m itching for both Hall and Livramento to be given their chances. I’m judging Tonali here but in truth our whole MF has been off it. Maybe an Eddie thing?

2 hours ago, McCormick said:

Can’t wait to see him, Willock and Bruno in the same team (with Joelinton playing at left-wing and Gordon on the right). Think that’s our most balanced midfield on paper.

One change I would make for the meantime, in the Joelinton, Tonali and Bruno trio ... is I would have Tonali at LCM and Joelinton at RCM.

I think Tonali would do a better job of mimicking some of what Willock provided in overlapping the left winger that cuts in, and would just better link up with Gordon on that side with Burn staying back.

On the right side I think Joelinton would offer the defensive support to allow Trippier to get further forward like he did last season when Longstaff was there. Almiron and Longstaff's defensive chops on the right freed up Trippier to be a creator.

1 hour ago, Joelinton7 said:

Underwhelmed by this guy

I’m underwhelmed by most of the team so far this season, including players that were excellent last year. Tonali isn’t our problem, the whole team has a problem that needs working on in training.