Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

28 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

Still seriously lacking that midfielder that can unlock defences with them in there. Until we have that kind in the midfield then we will always struggle against the low block

Could also say we are lacking the midfielder who'll get alongside or beyond our forward. When teams play a low block we often have 1 ma  in the box.

He wasn’t signed as a complement to Bruno. He was signed because we had the opportunity to and we also wanted some competition/backup for Bruno. It’s not Tonali’s fault that we needed a Maddison type of player and didn’t get it.

Just now, catlover24 said:

He wasn’t signed as a complement to Bruno. He was signed because we had the opportunity to and we also wanted some competition/backup for Bruno. It’s not Tonali’s fault that we needed a Maddison type of player and didn’t get it.

Zouma, you don't con me.

2 minutes ago, catlover24 said:

Nnnnnnnna !

4 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Depends what you mean on his passing mind, our most accurate passer today.

Surprised at that mind, but I was on a choppy river on the phone so maybe being over critical after he put Bruno in the shit 

8 minutes ago, catlover24 said:

His profile is nothing like Bruno. His biggest asset is out-of-possession and if we swapped him for Bruno we'd lose most of our ball-progressing ability.  

3 minutes ago, Jagten said:

His profile is nothing like Bruno. His biggest asset is out-of-possession and if we swapped him for Bruno we'd lose most of our ball-progressing ability.  

I believe we can play a different way and be effective with Tonali and a Maddison-type player. Big Joe can also progress with the ball.

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Tonali created the most chances in the CL last season but all good. He’s a different player to Bruno and I’m sure he’d take the burden if needed. 

Vast majority of them were corners iirc. 

1 hour ago, Erikse said:

I can see this in the future, but I don't think that it would be fair to start Tonali over Longstaff now from what we have seen so far this season. At the same time we need to play Tonali so that he can build relationship with his teammates.

I think there's plenty room for rotation as we've seen so far already. 

1 hour ago, catlover24 said:

I believe we can play a different way and be effective with Tonali and a Maddison-type player. Big Joe can also progress with the ball.

Willock is the best progressive carrier, with him and Joelinton different to Bruno with respect to how they might progress. We don't have anything like Bruno, both as a profile and talent ceiling. That said, given how good Bruno is he's not easy to replace.  

Edited by Jagten

I think it’s unfair criticism for their second goal. The shot came from our left side so where was Longstaff who was playing left midfield or Bruno who was central. At least Tonali was somewhere near the shot even though his position was the other side of the pitch.

I think the concerns over his performances are understandable. 

however it's often said players from overseas take a while to get upto speed with the Premier league. 

Since the takeover for the most part the signings have all been good for the club.

He's obviously got talent given where he has come from, has a manager who loves to help improve players, he's in a squad that is fully united, there are senior pros at the club who will help him, and lads like Longstaff, etc who seem like really decent lads that will try to help him settle. 

He's 23 years old in a foreign land, lad probably needs an arm round him.

I reckon he will come good.

3 minutes ago, Bally21 said:

I think the concerns over his performances are understandable. 

however it's often said players from overseas take a while to get upto speed with the Premier league. 

Since the takeover for the most part the signings have all been good for the club.

He's obviously got talent given where he has come from, has a manager who loves to help improve players, he's in a squad that is fully united, there are senior pros at the club who will help him, and lads like Longstaff, etc who seem like really decent lads that will try to help him settle. 

He's 23 years old in a foreign land, lad probably needs an arm round him.

I reckon he will come good.

He’s shown positive signs as well. Just that recovery in the second half against Man City after playing dog shit was really positive, and suggests some mental fortitude.

He’s moved to a new team, a new city, a new country, learning a new language, playing a new style of football in a new league. Not only that, he has had documented fitness issues. 

The lad was a part of a seismic win on Wednesday night against elite opponents, and found it tricky today like many others. 

So that’s the context of him supposedly being crap or whatever people are saying about him.

Then you add in how many players have started slowly or were completely written off that Howe and his team have improved. People ignoring this and arguing about him not being good enough are just pure fucking idiots.

The list of teams he's played against is fairly outrageous as well. Liverpool, City, PSG, Brighton, Milan and West Ham away. A proper baptism of fire.

I think he's looked better too tbh. He'll get there given time and application from himself. Sometimes his short passing is off. No doubt he's still getting used to the pace and physicality.

9 minutes ago, NWMag said:

Is he in the Italy squad? Be ideal for us if he wasn’t but imagine he is

He is, all these international breaks aren’t helping him gel with the rest of the team.