Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

On 24/06/2023 at 21:06, Stifler said:

One of the best goals ever. How it’s not an all time great, I’ll never know.

It was better than Bergkamps Vs Dabizas purely because  I'm still convinced today that it was not  deliberate. The ball fell in a good place and he took the best advantage. However Roberts invertved overhead backwards karate goal  was for Man U or Arsenal at the time it would be considered one of the all time great goals

On 24/06/2023 at 20:53, Wolfcastle said:

That's fair enough because of your age you'll have missed Ginola.

Himself miles better than Robert for me.

Better player by far but Robert was far more effective and transformative to a team.

Ginola was a much better footballer by far but in terms of a team Ginola inched a good team to being great, Robert (and Bellamy) took an average team to almost great.

I saw both and would take Robert over Ginola in a heartbeat in today's game. Both moody and lazy, one could dazzle with tricks and dribbles every game and produce nothing but entertainment, the other would do the square route of sod all for a game, then win the next three by himself.

3 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Better player by far but Robert was far more effective and transformative to a team.

Ginola was a much better footballer by far but in terms of a team Ginola inched a good team to being great, Robert (and Bellamy) took an average team to almost great.

I saw both and would take Robert over Ginola in a heartbeat in today's game. Both moody and lazy, one could dazzle with tricks and dribbles every game and produce nothing but entertainment, the other would do the square route of sod all for a game, then win the next three by himself.

Ben Arfa for me

8 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Ben Arfa for me

Ben Arfa has all of Ginolas trickery and then some

all of Robert’s power and end product 

and then sadly N’Zogbias moodiness and even Obertan’s mindset 

Edited by kingxlnc

25 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Every time I see his name, I always wonder how Charles N'Dogbia is doing. You heard anything from him @cubaricho?

Awwww he passed away a few years back. ? I’m actually hanging with his dad next week for the first time in a few years too!

22 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

HBA better than Robert?

Sacrilege.

(I’m also owld enough to have watched Ginola.  And I’d have Robert in my XI ahead of him). 

Yep. In terms of productivity definitely Robert > HBA > Ginola. In terms of just watching HBA > Ginola > Robert. Loved Ginola and still the only play I greeted on day of his signing. Ultimately though his numbers weren’t anywhere near as good as the others or even ASM who people moan about ?

2 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Awwww he passed away a few years back. ? I’m actually hanging with his dad next week for the first time in a few years too!

RIP Charles N'Dogbia. :( 

3 hours ago, cubaricho said:

No chance of a Nick Pup?

5 hours ago, gjohnson said:

Agree entirely. Ginola was a luxury that we couldn't carry at that stage under Sir Bobby and football generally has gone like that now. Even a Man City might not risk a Ginola, Tino, Le-Tissier type now. Substance over style. If you can win with the style that would be perfect though so its a personal interpreation of what 'best' is and whether entertainment overrides practicality.

As he's come up I often think that way about N'Zogbia and Milner. N'Zogbia, to me and with us, was the better 'footballer' most ability, style but Milner's attitude was better and look at their careers. Milner would often not look good, horrible shots, crosses but he wouldn't hide the next time.

10 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Agree entirely. Ginola was a luxury that we couldn't carry at that stage under Sir Bobby and football generally has gone like that now. Even a Man City might not risk a Ginola, Tino, Le-Tissier type now. Substance over style. If you can win with the style that would be perfect though so its a personal interpreation of what 'best' is and whether entertainment overrides practicality.

As he's come up I often think that way about N'Zogbia and Milner. N'Zogbia, to me and with us, was the better 'footballer' most ability, style but Milner's attitude was better and look at their careers. Milner would often not look good, horrible shots, crosses but he wouldn't hide the next time.

Beardsley was the rarest of beasts that had both. If he was South American or Italian or from anywhere but Benwell he’d have got more recognition than he did. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

The Mail reporting that the fee for this is actually £52 million.

Sounds about right. We were never going to go from £45m to £70m in negotiations ?

When were talking about productivity I think were forgetting Ginola/Gillespie's constant supply to Ferdinand being the most prominent feature of our attacking in those days. Every time either had the ball on the flank it was a threat.

1 minute ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Beardsley was the rarest of beasts that had both. If he was South American or Italian or from anywhere but Benwell he’d have got more recognition than he did. 

Too right. As good at tackling as he was nut-megging, scorer of worldies, creator supreme whilst having a 'water-carriers' work ethic.

As highly rated as he is, it doesn't seem enough when you think about it.