Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

We could spend 200m easily and be FFP compliant if the deals are structured correctly. Tonali 55m, Szobo 60m leaves you with enough to play with. Arsenal are potentially dropping 220m on Havertz, Rice and Timber. 

Just now, WinstonFC said:

We could spend 200m easily and be FFP compliant if the deals are structured correctly. Tonali 55m, Szobo 60m leaves you with enough to play with. Arsenal are potentially dropping 220m on Havertz, Rice and Timber. 

It’s wages we mainly have a problem with. 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

£60m is a lot like, but he does look good and is 22. 

It is but IMO the club will think the lower wages to Maddison and no disruption to wage structure far more offset it. I think they real problem is a release clause has to be paid in one go I believe (?) and can’t be structured to help FFP. We paid for Gordon up front so our wriggle room is tight. Like that Rob lad says if nothing else is looking likely and Liverpool start getting closer they may just pull the trigger if FFP allows it which I’ve no idea if it does or if I’m reading how it works wrongly ?‍♂️ 

10 minutes ago, WinstonFC said:

Given Eales said (paraphrasing) “we’ll spend whatever FFP allows”, I find that very, very doubtful.

7 minutes ago, LFEE said:

It is but IMO the club will think the lower wages to Maddison and no disruption to wage structure far more offset it. I think they real problem is a release clause has to be paid in one go I believe (?) and can’t be structured to help FFP. We paid for Gordon up front so our wriggle room is tight. Like that Rob lad says if nothing else is looking likely and Liverpool start getting closer they may just pull the trigger if FFP allows it which I’ve no idea if it does or if I’m reading how it works wrongly ?‍♂️ 

I think the way the fee actually is paid does not affect the FFP calculation, which has the fee split/amortised over the length of the contract up to a maximum of 5 years 

24 minutes ago, WinstonFC said:

Wages should not be a problem for Szobo. Hes on 35k a week atm

I’m sure we can afford it, although he’d probably want £100kpw+, but we won’t have too much wriggle room for other signings unless we start getting rid of players too. Our wage to income is pretty poor at best (or at least was very poor before the new Sela deal). Plus he’d get offered a lot more if he went to Liverpool, so let’s hope that is just talk. You mentioned Arsenal earlier (I think?)- their wages paid out in 2021-22 accounted for just 58 per cent of turnover and only in 2020-21, the season played almost totally behind closed doors, has the ratio gone higher than 70 per cent. Ours in comparison for the last set of accounts showed a wages-to-turnover ratio of 94.6 per cent. New sponsorship deals undoubtedly help bring this down, but not by much if we’re giving £100kpw+ away to every new signing. 

edit- also, comparatively, Arsenals income was £369m whilst ours was £180m.

Edited by Manxst

24 minutes ago, WinstonFC said:

Not true. Most estimates say around 75-100m ish is the limit for this year.

Edited by McCormick

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Not true. Most estimates say around 75-100m ish is the limit.

I think Maguire, etc seem to think we have plenty of wiggle room. It's more the wages to turnover ratio that's the issue.

Edited by The Prophet

2 hours ago, WinstonFC said:

how do you know?