Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

Watching the game last night he looked a lot better as a 6 rather than a 8. First half he struggled to get involved, second half was much better from deeper.

Also can we at least try him on corners?!?

Edited by Ronson333

Few times in the match where he could have taken a turn and then looked up. Seems married to releasing the ball as quickly as possible in the direction he’s facing; need to see more from him if he’s being touted as a box-to-box option for us. Were some promising signs there as well though.

I think he’ll be class soon. These games in the heat with experimental lineups and unfamiliar teammates are tricky, hopefully will just help him get fitter and more ready for the PL. 

He’ll get more confident as well, driving past people with the ball was a big part of his game before. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

6 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Everyone is different,” Howe said. “(Miguel Almiron) is always smiling. From what I’ve seen of Sandro and what I know of him, he’s happy inside

:bluestar:

When did this patter of referring to a defensive midfielder as a 6 come from?  Like is it a particular country that traditionally structure 1 to 11 with the number 6 as a midfielder?

A 6 was always a left sided centre back, - or Roberto Carlos for Brazil, when I was a lad.

4 minutes ago, OptimusSlime said:

When did this patter of referring to a defensive midfielder as a 6 come from?  Like is it a particular country that traditionally structure 1 to 11 with the number 6 as a midfielder?

A 6 was always a left sided centre back, - or Roberto Carlos for Brazil, when I was a lad.

Those traditional numbers were when it was predominantly 4-4-2 though wasn't it? No-one plays that anymore. 

4 minutes ago, OptimusSlime said:

As I recall it, all teams played 4-2-4, the #5 was always the clogger centre-back (e.g. John McNamee) and the #6 was the more cultured centre-back or sweeper (e.g. Bob Moncur aka Concur.)

59 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Those traditional numbers were when it was predominantly 4-4-2 though wasn't it? No-one plays that anymore. 

Aye I get that, but what is the origin of 6 being a midfielder?  Traditionally this was always the 4.

2         5          6       3

7         8          4         11

9          10

When we were growing up in the 70s and 80s. 4 being the more defensive midfielder  

In my day;

2           3

4           5           6

7         8       9     10        11

Numbers were more logical then

I think Botman is only one of two CBs to wear a 4 in my lifetime. The other being Rozehnal who played about six times. Not sure we've had any 6s in CM.*

*Edit: just Acuna, alongside Howey, Boumsong, Williamson and Lascelles - all CBs.

90s:

2     5      6      3

7      8      4    11

9      10

00s:

2     4       5      3

6       8

7         10         11

10s:

2     4        5      3

8        10

7                      11

Seems to have been the evolution in my mind.