Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

We grossly underpaid on Bruno so it probably evens its self out in the midfield department. The market for midfielders has appreciated immensely in the last 2 years and there’s nothing to say Tonali isn’t worth the price we’re paying for him. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

We probably are overpaying a bit, but who cares? It's not like it's coming out of my pocket.

Way of the world and why it was always a bit harsh to criticise some of the fees Man Utd used to pay back in the day. If clubs don’t want to sell their prize asset and fan favourite but the player makes it clear he’s happy to go like in this case they’ll always demand above going rate.

Let’s see when the deal if it gets done what the actual figures are. Italian media are always going to try and make it look like they’ve ripped us off. Same way our lot will report much lower figures. Often the truth sometimes in between. 

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm not sure why people get so precious about new football terminology.

Double pivot is just a more precise way of what you've described in three lines.

Soon I think their partnership will just be known as the "Bruno Tonali"...

image.png.0502ba6646b309eb0f5bc7f820ea71fd.png

23 minutes ago, madras said:

Bruno was a pivot last seasonbut I wouldn't have said he was a defensive midfielder.

I see the confusion here comes from the fact that people understand those terms differently. I think they refer to a holding midfielder, a midfielder who stays deep when the entire team moves up when we have the ball. 

I saw a good tactics video in youtube a while back that explains this very well(can’t find it now). The idea is to have at least 3 players at the back when we have possession in order to protect against a sudden counterattack, as having only two players at the back can leave us vulnerable. So if you are playing with 4 at the back, those three would be the 2 central defenders and a holding midfielder. In case you are playing with 3 at the back, those 3 defenders will stay at the back and there will be no need for a holding midfielder. 

Our tactic last season was unique in the sense that Burn pretty much played as a 3rd center back rather than a traditional left back (and Botman was in center), this pretty much allowed Bruno to move up and not stick to the holding role. I don’t know how our tactic will look like next season if we bring in a more traditional leftback. Then, a holding midfielder would be necessary. Interestingly, Tonali played that role when he was at Brescia. He was a regista, and he was usually considered the next Pirlo. However his role changed when he moved to Milan. 

Let’s see what Eddie has in mind. 

10 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm not sure why people get so precious about new football terminology.

Double pivot is just a more precise way of what you've described in three lines.

I’m not precious, I’m only kidding :)

The ‘pivot’ to me is an evolved version of the sweeper / libero.  It describes a deep-lying playmaker.  A creative ‘no. 6’. 

1 hour ago, Erikse said:

How do you define overpay? What's the appropriate price for such players? The market sets the price.. You could argue that no player is worth that price, nomatter what. Yet all the big clubs keep paying that and even more. That's just how you become a top team these days.. By overpaying for that little extra.

Transfermarkt has him listed at €50m. When you put in a club desperate not to sell you are not going to get him cheap. We are not going for a bargain here :lol:. Its high money for a top player sitting on a long contract at a club not wanting to sell. What did people expect? 

2 hours ago, 54 said:

So transparent :lol:

I agree with this. To me he’s the Longstaff replacement at RCM. He can rotate with Bruno. Ur he’s not going to sit in front of the defence for 90 minutes. That’s what Longstaff and Bruno already do. I think that’s a better strategy than the pure DM route. 

All of Longstaff attributes at a higher calibre is extremely difficult to find but I think we’ve done it. It doesn’t scream €60m to me either but the combination is rare. It’s a level above your Hojberg’s and Bissouma’s, Fred etc. it took Gundogan genuinely about 2-3 years to really adapt to the PL. Rodri 1 year. But Tonali looks to have the profile to do well from day one. Aggressive, strong, athletic. Ceiling maybe not as high but his floor is higher. People forget how off the pace Rodri was in his first season - it was Pep’s worst season since his debut. That Rodri-Gundo axis was too slow and easily bypassed.  

The attacking midfielder is Maddison or Szo. If we get one that solves the ‘lack of guile when Bruno doesn’t play’ problem. 

Just remember that the same kind of people calling Tonali shite and overpriced are the same type of people who, years into his Liverpool career, when he was an ever present captain in one of the best sides in the world, were calling Jordan Henderson shite.

1 hour ago, Erikse said:

How do you define overpay? What's the appropriate price for such players? The market sets the price.. You could argue that no player is worth that price, nomatter what. Yet all the big clubs keep paying that and even more. That's just how you become a top team these days.. By overpaying for that little extra.

I would expect some elite attributes - particularly technical ones. Like Camavinga at his age has a Unqiue combination of elite athleticism, dribbling and a passing technique.  Or even a Bruno. 

I spent a good while yesterday watching Tonali.  I thought 60m is a lot but he’s a wonder kid on a long contract, had some big success already, at a massive club etc. hence the premium. And he seems to have all those mental intangibles too. 

Skills wise….. I like Lavia more. I’ll be honest.  

10 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Transfermarkt has him listed at €50m. When you put in a club desperate not to sell you are not going to get him cheap. We are not going for a bargain here :lol:. Its high money for a top player sitting on a long contract at a club not wanting to sell. What did people expect? 

Transfermarkt is often well out.

If maxi goes , there'll not be that much diff for what we get and what we pay maybe 20mill so the exercise is worthwhile , same if we sell someone else and buying parties pay more than what we think they're worth, again the Tonali cost is reduced in real terms.Thats my theory anyways.

Update from my AC Milan supporting mate Luca: Dimarco is Inter's Tonali. Their future captain, big fan of the Inter. So please get him, Also, very very good. Yes you are breaking the heart of all Milan tifosi - both inter and AC.

Overpaying or not, we're effectively replacing Shelvey with Tonali here [emoji38] with Longstaff becoming that squad member who still will see plenty of minutes across all comps.