NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

27 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

This will go down like a lead balloon but if we could get our fee back for Burn now while he's still capable and before he starts to decline in his 30s and trade him for a player 6 years younger then I'd do it. We've seen with Wood we can be ruthless. 

Concrete balloon

Just now, Holloway said:

Concrete balloon

Yeah. As much as I defended Wood and could see the logic in the signing and what he brought to the team at the time and obviously the bonus of a decent fee which made it make even more sense. Even I couldn’t compare the performances and impact between him and Burn. Burn replaces Lascelles in every sense in 12 months unless he’s JL is sold earlier.

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Yeah. As much as I defended Wood and could see the logic in the signing and what he brought to the team at the time and obviously the bonus of a decent fee which made it make even more sense. Even I couldn’t compare the performances and impact between him and Burn. Burn replaces Lascelles in every sense in 12 months unless he’s JL is sold earlier.

Overall Burn's contribution has been magnificent since he arrived even though he isn't the most accomplished player. To get shot of him now is unthinkable, even just from the team morale point of view

4 hours ago, black_n_white said:

First choice left back and right wide forward are my guess. Then cover for Schar should then be priority.

Personally I’d rather wait a window or two and get someone to replace Schar in the first XI.

Edited by Sima

25 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Dummett, Ritchie, Gillespie, Lascelles...how many cheerleader types do we need? Can't be having a 1/5th of the squad there just because they're popular. 

Difference is Burn started pretty much every game last season, he contributed on the pitch and isn’t a cheerleader. even with a new LB an injury or suspension to Botman and Burn is in.

Dummett, Ritchie and Gillespie will likely never start a game for the club, excepting maybe cup first rounds - at the same time until there’s funds to replace there’s no point booting out players who are good characters and are happy to sit on the bench

Just now, WilliamPS said:

Difference is Burn started pretty much every game last season, he contributed on the pitch and isn’t a cheerleader. even with a new LB an injury or suspension to Botman and Burn is in.

Dummett, Ritchie and Gillespie will likely never start a game for the club, excepting maybe cup first rounds - at the same time until there’s funds to replace there’s no point booting out players who are good characters and are happy to sit on the bench

That's why if there's a chance to cash in while he's at his peak and get someone in the same role who's 6 years younger, I'd go for it. He's got a contract until 2025, he'll be 33-34 in the 24-5 season, he's not the most mobile to begin with nevermind in a year's time. You'd get someone like Burnley who'd think £12-15m is a good deal today. 

https://1908.nl/artikelen/hancko-op-de-shortlist-van-newcastle-united

Tier 1 for Feyenoord apparently - Hancko is on our shortlist. Enquiries have been made but not entered into formal negotiations yet. Napoli also interested. 

Also of note "Feyenoord and Newcastle United have been working together since this year, although nothing has been officially communicated about this yet"

Just now, Barnes23 said:

Tier 1 for Feyenoord apparently - Hancko is on our shortlist. Enquiries have been made but not entered into formal negotiations yet. Napoli also interested. 

Also of note "Feyenoord and Newcastle United have been working together since this year, although nothing has been officially communicated about this yet"

Mackems in the mud.

1 minute ago, Barnes23 said:

Suggesting some sort of link up between the clubs?

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Suggesting some sort of link up between the clubs?

Definitely reads that way, it references the Minteh loan directly after that and suggests it was done "without scouting involved" (assuming that part has been translated accurately)

27 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Fraser should be okay. Hendrick's wage will be the issue for him, could see him at someone like Birmingham on loan.

I think we have written off Hendricks wages along with others in the last set of accounts.

A staggering £14.2m was also added into that pot covering “onerous employment contracts”, which essentially means writing off the wages of players who are no longer considered part of the first-team squad. That is likely to include Jeff Hendrick, Ciaran Clark and Dwight Gayle.

https://theathletic.com/4375304/2023/04/05/newcastle-united-accounts-explained/?access_token=11519933&redirected=1

Edited by Matt1892

I'm sure we're planning a couple of summer windows ahead with 2/3 elite signings in each. RCB and RB will be the plan for next summer I reckon. Think it'll be a loan or young cheaper CB option this summer.

I quite liked the idea of Adarabioyo at Fulham because he will be relatively cheap. Huge in stature but still quick, used to playing with the ball at his feet for Fulham.

Just don't think he's ever going to be top class. Would be a squad/stop gap signing to upgrade on Lascelles - and I think we're clearly trying to avoid those kind of signings in general. 

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

We've barely played him right wing

Let’s be honest he’s barely played at all but played there against Brentford and West Ham if I recall. 

Playing centrally for England currently so that’s what made me think he might be that cover you were suggesting we need ??‍♂️