NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

If you only play with 1 striker then two strikers in a squad is pretty normal for most clubs. Even City only have Haaland and Alvarez (who can play other positions).

Isak and Wilson with Joelinton/Gordon as emergency options is fine for now.

Is the difference not their injury record though? Not to mention Man City didn’t even play with a striker the season before. I’m not sure could get away with that.

5 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

If you only play with 1 striker then two strikers in a squad is pretty normal for most clubs. Even City only have Haaland and Alvarez (who can play other positions).

Isak and Wilson with Joelinton/Gordon as emergency options is fine for now.

Neither Haaland or Alavarez are injury prone like Wilson though. That's why most people have such an issue with going into the season with only 2 recognised strikers. No reason you can't find a young player who won't take up a squad place and can cover the striker position but aslo either wide position.

Its by no means the most important area that we need to address but it does need addressing at some point.

3 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Neither Haaland or Alavarez are injury prone like Wilson though. That's why most people have such an issue with going into the season with only 2 recognised strikers. No reason you can't find a young player who won't take up a squad place and can cover the striker position but aslo either wide position.

Its by no means the most important area that we need to address but it does need addressing at some point.

Then we've made a mistake giving a new contract to Wilson?

1 hour ago, andycap said:

Nah homegrown for Europe he has a place. If we send kuol on loan we will be short. Plus when Wilson was looking over the hill after the World Cup we struggled massively with isak been out. Young Armstrong is rapid aswell. 

Arent we just better buying someone under 21 who might actually develop into something good - would do the same covering role and wouldnt take up a CL registration spot

It's not just Man City though. Arsenal have two (Jesus and Nketiah), Man United only really had Weghorst this season with Rashford who can also play through the muddle. Spurs only have Kane/Richarlison and Son who is more versatile.

Very few clubs have more than two out and out centre forwards in this day and age. In fact even keeping two happy can be hard (look at the difficulties Arsenal had with Nketiah's contract for example). Teams have other players who can also play through the middle when needed.

We need a long term replacement for Wilson IMO, not just any kid to fill a squad place who won't get game time. 

Edited by ponsaelius

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Then we've made a mistake giving a new contract to Wilson?

Possibly. That will all depend how fit he can be over the remainder of his contract. 

If we can get 25+ appearances per season out of him then it's been worth it, if not then it was (in hindsight) a mistake. Chances are if we don't sign ANY strikers this summer, next summer is when we'll need to go big for one.

1 hour ago, andycap said:

Adam Armstrong as third choice striker for hg status. I'd imagine he'd be cheap. Or even a loan. 

What am I reading here 😱😂 Far to early for drugs mind 

Edited by Toonjam88

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

It's not just Man City though. Arsenal have two (Jesus and Nketiah), Man United only really had Weghorst this season with Rashford who can also play through the muddle. Spurs only have Kane and then put Son through the middle when he's not available.

Very few clubs have more than two out and out centre forwards in this day and age. In fact even keeping two happy can be hard (look at the difficulties Arsenal had with Nketiah's contract for example). Teams have other players who can also play through the middle when needed.

We need a long term replacement for Wilson IMO, not just any kid to fill a squad place who won't get game time. 

Aye, two is the going rate, plus a winger or attacking midfielder who can fill in if desperate. Think we're covered. 

Just now, Toonjam88 said:

What am I reading here 😱😂 Far to early for drugs mind 

Aye somebody has definitely been having something HOME GROWN.

A lot has been made about Anderson not getting enough gametime and he's a player who can play in all three midfield positions and either wing.

In the modern game central strikers are second only to goalkeepers in competition stakes - because there is only one position you can play on the pitch. I can't think of any club who play one forward who retain three central strikers within the squad. Doing so is either wasting resources or stunting a youngsters development.

Gordon played central striker for Everton and England U21s. I think he will be our third choice.

I don't personally think Anderson needs a loan and I'd keep him. Realistically, is he ever going to be a regular starter for a title chasing team? Getting 15 starts across the competitions and 20 odd sub apps could be his limit imo. Could be down to him if he's happy with that or would want to leave for regular starts. 

11 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

A lot has been made about Anderson not getting enough gametime and he's a player who can play in all three midfield positions and either wing.

In the modern game central strikers are second only to goalkeepers in competition stakes - because there is only one position you can play on the pitch. I can't think of any club who play one forward who retain three central strikers within the squad. Doing so is either wasting resources or stunting a youngsters development.

Gordon played central striker for Everton and England U21s. I think he will be our third choice.

Yao-off-a-cliff.gif

24 minutes ago, STM said:

Aye somebody has definitely been having something HOME GROWN.

Someone on my street is growing industrial quantities at home. Go out to put something in the bin and come back telling wor lass about a conversation I just had with god. 

13 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Somewhat coincidentally, a friend who’s a big Feyenoord fan was frothing about him the other day. Saying he was the best defender he’s seen since De Vrij and expects him to replace KMJ at Napoli. Not sure we need another left-footed cb though unless we want him to take up the Burn role?

10 minutes ago, Toonjam88 said:

He is a left sided centre back who can play left back not sure we need him. 

This will go down like a lead balloon but if we could get our fee back for Burn now while he's still capable and before he starts to decline in his 30s and trade him for a player 6 years younger then I'd do it. We've seen with Wood we can be ruthless. 

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Somewhat coincidentally, a friend who’s a big Feyenoord fan was frothing about him the other day. Saying he was the best defender he’s seen since De Vrij and expects him to replace KMJ at Napoli. Not sure we need another left-footed cb though unless we want him to take up the Burn role?

certainly seems like someone who could play BDB's role:

image.thumb.png.d0df8a7ba8c50f9f5840f61c68806149.png

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

This will go down like a lead balloon but if we could get our fee back for Burn now while he's still capable and before he starts to decline in his 30s and trade him for a player 6 years younger then I'd do it. We've seen with Wood we can be ruthless. 

Honestly think Burn is worth much more to us than the paltry fee we’d receive for him. Would be a massive mistake imo

10 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Difference is Wood was a completely incompetent player.

16 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Honestly think Burn is worth much more to us than the paltry fee we’d receive for him. Would be a massive mistake imo

Dummett, Ritchie, Gillespie, Lascelles...how many cheerleader types do we need? Can't be having a 1/5th of the squad there just because they're popular. 

2 hours ago, alexf said:

I just remember that Sheffield Wednesday game where we attempted to rotate the squad and it really showed how poor we were beneath the 12-13 regular starters. 

We rotated too many and Shef Wed were at home in 3rd round of the FA Cup live on TV on a longer unbeaten run than ours even. What did you expect? It was always going to be a tough fixture.