NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

I think we're looking at a RW/RF at the moment. We're probably pretty well stocked in the middle with Bruno, Joe, Willock, Tonali, Longstaff and Anderson.
Maybe get another young one in later in the window. My guess though would be a winger and a LB/RB as the first priorities.

I’m sure the recruitment team have a few irons in the fire but at the moment this looks like one of those wildlife documentaries where the lion pride have brought down a wildebeest and those at the top of the hierarchy are feasting on the choice meat. We are waiting patiently to see what’s left over after the big boys have had their fill. We may furtively sneak in and grab a half eaten leg if we are feeling brave.

Just now, Novocastrian said:

I’m sure the recruitment team have a few irons in the fire but at the moment this looks like one of those wildlife documentaries where the lion pride have brought down a wildebeest and those at the top of the hierarchy are feasting on the choice meat. We are waiting patiently to see what’s left over after the big boys have had their fill. We may furtively sneak in and grab a half eaten leg if we are feeling brave.

I’m sure the club aren’t thinking like that. 

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Anderson needs to go out on loan man.  

I don’t think Howe sees it that way. He’s now fully integrated into the senior squad - not a chance that he’s sent out again IMO. There’ll be plenty of chances and games to impress next season. 

15 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Did against WHU and Brentford. Can play all 3 forward positions. 

I don't think he pulled up any trees in those games then. I like him as a player, but he seemed to be alternating with ASM more in the games I saw. On the right it was mainly Murphy and Almiron, and while they did well enough, there were games where we clearly needed a step up in class. That is what we are going to need if we want to maintain CL qualification.

24 minutes ago, 80 said:

I sort of agree, but I didn't think we'd see goalkeeper as a high priority last summer either and look what happened...  So I don't think we can rule it out.

To develop on this a bit;

Seeing as we know how much Howe values his pre-season preparations, I would imagine that the closer a player plays to our own goal, the more he'd want them to be fully integrated into our squad and methods before our first match.

Whereas there's more scope for experimentation and patience over things like fitness with a forward like Isak.

So even if a RW was seen as more crucial than a CB overall, it might be that we'd prioritise making sure it was the CB who arrived as early as possible.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Not sure we need a CM now?

If you look at our first team, Burn and Almiron stick out as the two players that need upgrading.

Depth wise though, we probably need the be looking at CB and CM too. Not necessarily this window, but we do look a bit short in those areas too.

Think Anderson will be kept until January and revisit it then. They'll be hopeful and expectant of a big improvement from him this season. His versatility makes him an attractive bench option.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If you look at our first team, Burn and Almiron stick out as the two players that need upgrading.

Depth wise though, we probably need the be looking at CB and CM too. Not necessarily this window, but we do look a bit short in those areas too.

I think LB and winger are the priorities. CB would be nice. I think the depth in midfield once Tonali is here is by far our strongest position along with striker. 

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

RW is the team's weak link. Yeah ASM and Gordon could play there, but the options are Almiron and Murphy. We need an attacker for that side with a much better attacking output; there's nothing to suggest in Almirón's 4 and a half years here that that run in October-November wasn't a purple patch.

He was pretty decent August - March until he got injured tbf. 

8 minutes ago, Conjo said:

He was pretty decent August - March until he got injured tbf. 

Thought he's been mostly poor since Boxing Day tbh. In front of goal especially. Games/tactical scenarios like Brighton (H) last season he's incredibly useful for but they'll be few and far between this season especially domestically. 

Need that position upgraded with a younger age profile and better attacking output for me. Almirón will turn 30 during this coming season and once his pace goes he'll be next to useless you'd think. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

18 minutes ago, clintdempsey said:

I don’t think Howe sees it that way. He’s now fully integrated into the senior squad - not a chance that he’s sent out again IMO. There’ll be plenty of chances and games to impress next season. 

Howe doesn’t trust him for regular minutes. His career development stalled last season as he barely played. It will stall further if he continues to be last choice CM with minimal minutes. 

I don’t think we are ‘well stocked’ at CM. If we played AV tomorrow with everyone fit, we’d start 4 of our 5 serious options. 

25 minutes ago, TRon said:

I don't think he pulled up any trees in those games then. I like him as a player, but he seemed to be alternating with ASM more in the games I saw. On the right it was mainly Murphy and Almiron, and while they did well enough, there were games where we clearly needed a step up in class. That is what we are going to need if we want to maintain CL qualification.

Game was done when he came on at WHU but played his part in at least one goal. Played well at Brentford when he came on at HT and helped turn the game.

Just scored again for England so that’s 2 in 3 games this tournament so far.

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Thought he's been mostly poor since Boxing Day tbh. In front of goal especially. Games/tactical scenarios like Brighton (H) last season he's incredibly useful for but they'll be few and far between this season especially domestically. 

Need that position upgraded with a younger age profile and better attacking output for me. Almirón will turn 30 during this coming season and once his pace goes he'll be next to useless you'd think. 

Almirons got that slight physique where he’ll carry pace and stamina for a good few years. I’m not concerned by his age. 

I think he needs to be upgraded but I expect him to play a ton of minutes next season no matter who we sign.   His intensity and pressing is almost like our playmaker. Him and Joe kind of set the tone for the team.