NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

5 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

You’re mad. 

Bramble by himself had all the physical and technical attributes to be a great defender and could pull a top performance out the bag. 

Not for 90 minutes and that was the key problem. You simply can’t have a player with such poor concentration at CB. A repeated issue. He never grew out of it. In the end, it doesn’t matter how strong or quick you are , how good a passer or how clean you can tackle, how high you can jump. If you can’t read the game well and if you keep getting flustered, the league will quickly find you out. As it did him. Shame, but it was so.

7 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Not for 90 minutes and that was the key problem.

Can the as yet unnamed poster confirm if Bramble was ever able to keep it up for 90 minutes?

18 minutes ago, BrianSwan said:

I think £100M + ASM will get him from Napoli.

Think selling ASM separately and paying Napoli extra would make far more sense in terms of FFP.

Not that I think this is happening like :lol:

6 hours ago, jack j said:

What dya mean let him down?

We are pissing in the wind with FFP

If it wasnt for ffp they'd be doing the exact same as they're doing in Saudi now

We play 3 central midfielders and had 4 senior central midfielders in the squad post January.  And we often started all 4. 2 injuries and we would’ve been playing an untested 19 yo and someone that’s not a CM at CM. 

That was a gigantic risk. 

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

Not for 90 minutes and that was the key problem. You simply can’t have a player with such poor concentration at CB. A repeated issue. He never grew out of it. In the end, it doesn’t matter how strong or quick you are , how good a passer or how clean you can tackle, how high you can jump. If you can’t read the game well and if you keep getting flustered, the league will quickly find you out. As it did him. Shame, but it was so.

Not consistent enough aye. Titus could read the game imo. But he would lose concentration often and get easily rattled.  But it was in his locker to have a worldie performance  it just the clangers were never far away. 

I don’t credit Woodgate for Titus good performances. 

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We play 3 central midfielders and had 4 senior central midfielders in the squad post January.  And we often started all 4. 2 injuries and we would’ve been playing an untested 19 yo and someone that’s not a CM at CM. 

That was a gigantic risk. 

It's possible in that scenario (2 injuries) we'd have altered away from the middle 3.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Not consistent enough aye. Titus could read the game imo. But he would lose concentration often and get easily rattled.  But it was in his locker to have a worldie performance  it just the clangers were never far away. 

I don’t credit Woodgate for Titus good performances. 

There was a game at SJP V Arsenal with Bergkamp in his pomp. Titus dominated him and he was subbed at HT or soon after.

5 minutes ago, madras said:

It's possible in that scenario (2 injuries) we'd have altered away from the middle 3.

Well the injuries did happen for the Chelsea game, and we played the same way but with Bruno, Anderson and Gordon in the middle. Changing from the 4-3-3 is something Eddie has shown he none too keen to switch from, and why would he the results speak for themselves.  

I don't doubt he'd do something when needed, but 4-3-3 is the default at the moment, and it don't half suit us like.

1 minute ago, Bimpy474 said:

Well the injuries did happen for the Chelsea game, and we played the same way but with Bruno, Anderson and Gordon in the middle. Changing from the 4-3-3 is something Eddie has shown he none too keen to switch from, and why would he the results speak for themselves.  

I don't doubt he'd do something when needed, but 4-3-3 is the default at the moment, and it don't half suit us like.

In a game that counted for nowt, in which getting some experience for one or two was more a priority than the points.

8 minutes ago, madras said:

Aye and that’s really not good enough.  

All of our rivals and even Brighton would’ve been able to keep shape with a couple CM injuries.  We wouldn’t. 

I expect us to cover the holes in the squad this summer. But it’s not true that the club management haven’t left us light in the past.  If they don’t think the players or value are available they won’t sign players to fill out the squad. 

IMG_1068.webp

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye and that’s really not good enough.  

All of our rivals and even Brighton would’ve been able to keep shape with a couple CM injuries.  We wouldn’t. 

I expect us to cover the holes in the squad this summer. But it’s not true that the club management haven’t left us light in the past.  If they don’t think the players or value are available they won’t sign players to fill out the squad. 

IMG_1068.webp

True enough but that change will take time. I'm happy with the Tonali/Isak/Bruno/Botman-Young'uns to bring through model. We can skim over the gaps in the short term and I think Tonali was a big part of covering that gap.

Don’t know make of the repeated links to left forwards when it appears to me that we have less depth on the right. Has the club already penciled Gordon on the right with Miggy and Murphy? Or the pursuit of Livramento when left back seems a more pressing.

I’d really like to see us do something about the backline; losing Schar or Botman for an extended period would be disastrous. I suppose they expect Burn to play centrally and start Targett. 

2 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

Don’t know make of the repeated links to left forwards when it appears to me that we have less depth on the right. Has the club already penciled Gordon on the right with Miggy and Murphy? Or the pursuit of Livramento when left back seems a more pressing.

I’d really like to see us do something about the backline; losing Schar or Botman for an extended period would be disastrous. I suppose they expect Burn to play centrally and start Targett. 

I am not sure how people keep saying left back is a priority. We have absolutely no depth on the right behind Trippier, who cannot play 50 games a season. We were ok with Targett and Burn last season. Yes, we need to upgrade that, but getting an option for Trippier is a must. Livramento will be starting right back for us very soon, is English and not very expensive. Although a bit risky.

16 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

I am not sure how people keep saying left back is a priority. We have absolutely no depth on the right behind Trippier, who cannot play 50 games a season. We were ok with Targett and Burn last season. Yes, we need to upgrade that, but getting an option for Trippier is a must. Livramento will be starting right back for us very soon, is English and not very expensive. Although a bit risky.

We have Ashby, Manq and Krafh in reserve and Trippier is Miles better than his equivalent on the left back.

Id rather we buy a left back who can improve our starting 11 over another back up right back. 

19 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

We have Ashby, Manq and Krafh in reserve and Trippier is Miles better than his equivalent on the left back.

Id rather we buy a left back who can improve our starting 11 over another back up right back. 

Manquillo is reportedly off to Getafe. Krafth is not good enough and Ashby has not played games at top level at all? Most likely will be loaned. I wouldn't want to start UCL-game or against top 6 with Krafth right back, but I am content with starting Burn or Targett left back. (and yes, would be nice to have a quality starting LB also)

And we need to sell left backs also..

Edited by KingArthur

6 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

Manquillo is reportedly off to Getafe. Krafth is not good enough and Ashby has not played games at top level at all? Most likely will be loaned. I wouldn't want to start UCL-game or against top 6 with Krafth right back, but I am content with starting Burn or Targett left back. (and yes, would be nice to have a quality starting LB also)

And we need to sell left backs also..

If the options are:

Trippier plays 40 games and Manquillo/Krafth play 15 games & new left-back plays 40 games and Targett 15 (Burn returning to the CB pool)

Or

Trippier plays 40 games and Livramento plays 15 games & Burn plays 40 games at left-back and Targett 15, what would you prefer?

Ideally we get both, but left-back is more important for me if it's one or the other. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

3 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

Is left back really more pressing though, given how we play? Take Trippier out of our side and our main creative threat is gone. The guy is soon gonna be 33, he ain’t playing every game in a season like we have coming up. 

6 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Is left back really more pressing though, given how we play? Take Trippier out of our side and our main creative threat is gone. The guy is soon gonna be 33, he ain’t playing every game in a season like we have coming up. 

I agree that I think we could go another season with Targett/Burn as left backs and would rather get a better RB back up in, but we've got Tonali to take det pieces this season, which is where a lot of Trippiers created chances came from. 

13 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Get a left-back who can do the same other side and just do what teams have always done, if one goes forward, the other sits? Then he's not the one having to be the one bombing on all game. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

For pace both target, burn and even trippier can get caught out. I think this is more so needed at left-back along with those other qualities target and burn and obviously trippier show. Trippier being the most reliable out of our full-backs. Next in line is Krafth and all though his game has improved a great deal before he was injured he has been caught out on occasions.

With our goals this season having higher expectations or particularly an expectation to demonstrate as much drive we had last season, we’re going to need those improvements with champions league football on top of things and in my opinion the priority is defiantly left-back and secondary a replacement in future for trippier.

As far as Howe goes he’ll aware of that, but as a manager, particularly at the moment will want to keep everyone he can and work on their fitness and overall game with the increase of games to be played this season. 

Edited by Geordie Boyo