NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

8 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Rate the window a 7. 

Still starting Burn, Miggy - not even improved in his position and no backup for Schar.  

I like all of our signings though.  

we’ve just bought a very highly rated young left back who will displace Burn. We haven’t played a single minute since he signed so a little harsh to include left back as a missed position

Not fully satisfied with this window myself, we are playing at a very high level this season and aside from Tonali we've signed players with no experience of playing at the highest levels, good prospects and good lads but we should've aimed higher, keeping Almiron/Murphy as our main choices at RW in the champions league might prove to be something we regret.

1 minute ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Not fully satisfied with this window myself, we are playing at a very high level this season and aside from Tonali we've signed players with no experience of playing at the highest levels, good prospects and good lads but we should've aimed higher, keeping Almiron/Murphy as our main choices at RW in the champions league might prove to be something we regret.

What other players of Tonali's calibre would you have signed given our FFP restrains?

Why anyone cares about the rating of our transfer window a week before it's due to close is beyond me.

Surely you wait a few months to see where we are in the league before making any calls like that.

Great, we've had a decent window on paper, whoop! [emoji38]

8 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

What other players of Tonali's calibre would you have signed given our FFP restrains?

Someone like Diaby to cover the right wing,  players some champions league/international football experience, surely if Villa can afford him we can too?

1 minute ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Someone like Diaby to cover the right wing,  players some champions league/international football experience, surely if Villa can afford him we can too?

Villa got £100m for Jack Grealish which means they can be a lot more lavish with their spending over the coming years with FFP. If we signed Diaby and Tonali in the same window then that'd probably be the only two players we'd sign this summer.

3 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Villa got £100m for Jack Grealish which means they can be a lot more lavish with their spending over the coming years with FFP. If we signed Diaby and Tonali in the same window then that'd probably be the only two players we'd sign this summer.

This transfer will be off his books at the end of the season. 

It's already been pointed out but Diaby wasn't a fit for us because he has very little appetite for the defensive side of the game. We just got rid of a player who is very similar in that regard.

Early days with Diaby too. I thought he looked OK against us (good goal & some nice breaks but he was easily muscled off a number of times) but excellent against Everton. 

Howe obviously doesn't see RW as a massive deal right now. It's easy to hone in on Miggy but we also have Gordon and Murphy who can play there. I expect Gordon to claim that spot over the next 6 games or so as Barnes acclimatises and starts banging 'em in from the left.

1 minute ago, Matt1892 said:

We will see how happy the 10/10 brigade really are with the window if Schar picks up an injury that keeps him out for a number of games.

You could have said the same for Trippier, Botman or Bruno before the window.

23 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Luckily we’ve got Eddie Howe and Dan Ashworth and not you. 

6 hours ago, Viana said:

I'm curious; how would you have done that with the financial boundaries we are known to have in place?

I’d assume not sign Livramento and Barnes (keeping ASM) and spending the money on other positions. In fairness it’s what most probably would have expected heading in to the widow. I’m delighted with the window regardless.

2 minutes ago, LV said:

Luckily we’ve got Eddie Howe and Dan Ashworth and not you. 

And it is them who will ultimately be accountable for how the team preform, our owners want us to be there amongst the very best and hopefully we will be , but signing a lot of youngsters sometimes mean it takes longer to see the results.

2 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

And it is them who will ultimately be accountable for how the team preform, our owners want us to be there amongst the very best and hopefully we will be , but signing a lot of youngsters sometimes mean it takes longer to see the results.

How long did it take Man City to get where they are now?

If we'd gone big on a RCB and a RW we'd have struggled to fill the positions we have done and then have looked very weak in terms of RB backup and with no effective replacement for Bruno. 

The Hall signing being a loan-to-buy job shows that we're right at the limit of what we can reasonably spend this summer. Not to mention the issues with bringing in 6-7 players in a window from a squad cohesion point of view. We're in a long term process that we all know will take a few summers to get there. We are in a process of signing the right players for each position, even if not in the 'ideal' order. We will continue to have gaps in the squad for a while, but they're getting less and less each year.

I think if you're taking into account this context you can't reasonably criticise our business. Right players, right age, long term planning without short term fixes, covering as many positions as possible but without forgoing quality, all in well before the close of the window. They are working as efficiently as could be reasonably expected. And I'd retain that position even if some of the signings don't hit the ground running or if Schar's leg falls off.

8 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Rate the window a 7. 

Still starting Burn, Miggy - not even improved in his position and no backup for Schar.  

I like all of our signings though.  

Wow, how to let everyone know that you know nothing about football, without actually saying “I know nothing about football”

I’d give it a 9 considering the restrictions imposed on us. There are still positions to fill but realistically it will probably take another 2 transfer windows. My only slight disappointment is the lack of Brighton style bargains.