NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Anyone who’s seen that Mamardashvili play, what’s he like ?

Haven't seen him play but as I'm off sick did some Dennis Wise scouting with some extra stats googling

https://fbref.com/en/comps/12/keepers/La-Liga-Stats From basic LaLiga stats 73.8% save percentage which is rougly average/a little above average

https://fbref.com/en/comps/12/keepersadv/La-Liga-Stats

From advanced stats - has the highest 'post goal expected shot minus goal allowed'. Meaning (I think) he did a lot of good saving. Also saved 3 out of 5 penalties, which probably bumped the previous stat up a tad.

Passing: Has the lowest completion % of launched passed in the league (passes over 40 yards). Also one of the highest long ball attempted percentages [dunno how much of this was down to team tactics, he was playing for a weak team, but I presume he's not that great with the ball at his feet or they'd play short more] -

*Bear in mind Alisson and Onana don't have much better completion % than him this year (Alisson much better last year) and are both good with their feet so could be a little misleading. https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/giorgi-mamardashvili-valencias-georgian-goalkeeper/ Suggests passing is a weakness, though it's something best judged by the eye test IMO.

Crossing: 3rd Highest crossing stop percentage in the league

Sweeping: Well below average actions outside penalty area and 3rd shortest distance to goal of defensive actions [By comparison, Pope's been in the top 2 furthest distance to goal in the premier league for this last couple of years]. Of course being in a weak team may influence this as you play more low block.

EDIT: In Pope's final Burnley season 21-22 he was still 3rd furthest from goal in the league.

Based on that and a couple of highlight videos: He's a big fucker and agile with it so a good shotstopper (makes very asthetic dives) and good on crosses. Basically very good close to his goal but probably not a good sweeper keeper.

His beard is decent but not Alisson good.

Edited by Checko
clarity

Big lad, great reflexes. 

He did a "Popey" not too long back vs Barcelona - sent off for handling the ball outside the box against a top team.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Olise has a release clause below 60 million.

Yes, and when/if we match that other team, like Liverpool or ManU also match that and can offer 50k +  more wages.

4 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

Yes, and when/if we match that other team, like Liverpool or ManU also match that and can offer 50k +  more wages.

That’s not what you said though, you said we won’t pay Palace the money. I think we would pay 50 or so for him. Bigger wages is obviously a separate issue.

On 19/05/2024 at 23:07, KaKa said:

I already posted the breakdown explaining his change of role at Luton this season. You didn't read it.

Also, they've been on TV a good number of times this season, never mind the two times we played them, have you not caught any of these games?

I don't really pay that much attention to other games tbh, I've always seen Barkley more of an attack minded midfielder, not a replacement for Bruno. More of an Elliott Anderson type if you will. In any case it's being reported today that Villa are looking to sign him.

Mamardashvili does seem to be dominant in the box and in 1-vs-1s, with a knack for saving penalties. Mind this is just from watching highlight videos.

1.99m tall too.

11 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

That’s not what you said though, you said we won’t pay Palace the money. I think we would pay 50 or so for him. Bigger wages is obviously a separate issue.

I see no point going after him, cause we will not match the wages. So the problem is again the same : money.

I never in my life thought Pope was a sweeper keeper until he played for Eddie. Just assumed he was always a great shot stopper and commander of his box, high-catches etc.

16 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I never in my life thought Pope was a sweeper keeper until he played for Eddie. Just assumed he was always a great shot stopper and commander of his box, high-catches etc.

He conceeded the joint fewest league goals by an NUFC keeper in a season ever, but some think we need an upgrade because he's not very good with his feet. Man Utd paid almost £50m for Onana because he's "good with his feet", shame he's not very good at most other aspects of the job.

We have more pressing issues that need addressing than a replacement for Pope, if it ain't broke don't fix it. 

1 hour ago, Checko said:

Haven't seen him play but as I'm off sick did some Dennis Wise scouting with some extra stats googling

https://fbref.com/en/comps/12/keepers/La-Liga-Stats From basic LaLiga stats 73.8% save percentage which is rougly average/a little above average

https://fbref.com/en/comps/12/keepersadv/La-Liga-Stats

From advanced stats - has the highest 'post goal expected shot minus goal allowed'. Meaning (I think) he did a lot of good saving. Also saved 3 out of 5 penalties, which probably bumped the previous stat up a tad.

Passing: Has the lowest completion % of launched passed in the league (passes over 40 yards). Also one of the highest long ball attempted percentages [dunno how much of this was down to team tactics, he was playing for a weak team, but I presume he's not that great with the ball at his feet or they'd play short more] -

*Bear in mind Alisson and Onana don't have much better completion % than him this year (Alisson much better last year) and are both good with their feet so could be a little misleading. https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/giorgi-mamardashvili-valencias-georgian-goalkeeper/ Suggests passing is a weakness, though it's something best judged by the eye test IMO.

Crossing: 3rd Highest crossing stop percentage in the league

Sweeping: Well below average actions outside penalty area and 3rd shortest distance to goal of defensive actions [By comparison, Pope's been in the top 2 furthest distance to goal in the premier league for this last couple of years]. Of course being in a weak team may influence this as you play more low block.

EDIT: In Pope's final Burnley season 21-22 he was still 3rd furthest from goal in the league.

Based on that and a couple of highlight videos: He's a big fucker and agile with it so a good shotstopper (makes very asthetic dives) and good on crosses. Basically very good close to his goal but probably not a good sweeper keeper.

His beard is decent but not Alisson good.

This part makes me nervous, but it's so hard to compare across leagues / teams.

27 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

I see no point going after him, cause we will not match the wages. So the problem is again the same : money.

He seems to want to be at a club where he will play regularly and get himself into contention for France national team, he turned down Chelsea in January where he would've got big wages.

Man U is a disaster they will likely have a new manager and also nearly £150 million of RW on their books in Sancho and Antony.

Liverpool have Salah at RW, unless he is sold don't see Olise getting much game time there.

I think he could be tempted to us. He is the player I want most this window.

The last few games have shown that with Isak and Gordon this will be a deadly trio 

3 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

This part makes me nervous, but it's so hard to compare across leagues / teams.

Yeah me too, Pope's sweeping was a massive miss, fundamentally changed how we could defend.

It does look a bit from the highlights I saw that he does like to stay close to his line (eg a couple of times there are through balls played through and he stays quite close to his line before coming out quite late in the play), but yeah - stats can give some indications but really need supplementing with a proper eye test.

I genuinely don't get the disdain for Ramsdale. 

Depends, of course, on the fee and NOT giving Arsenal FFP wedge but the drop off to Dubs from Pope was Cliff's of Dover scales. 

Anything sub £20m and it's a no brainer unless we're aiming to go full upgrade on Pope

The pope injury on reflection had the biggest impact on where we finished this season. Not only did it take Dubs a little while to shake off the rust but he also isn't the shot stopper Pope is. I think it Pope plays that Man U game we likely win it. 

But fundamentally it was his sweeping we missed the most. Dubs almost felt glued to his line in comparison. With our slow defenders like Burn, Botman, Schar we were just getting exposed, as they couldn't press high to win the ball like Eddie likes them too. 

Obviously it wasn't the only reason for our slump as injuries, form etc played a big part too, with people like Burn, Botman and Trippier all having prolonged spells of poor form post injuries etc. But not having Pope at times just exacerbated the issue. 

It's a real same that Pope's injuries/suspension have cost the team at crucial moments. I still believe we win that league cup final as well if he isn't suspended.

Just shows his importance and makes me less urgent to replace. Although getting in a young keeper with strong potential is obviously smart thinking. 

15 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I genuinely don't get the disdain for Ramsdale. 

Depends, of course, on the fee and NOT giving Arsenal FFP wedge but the drop off to Dubs from Pope was Cliff's of Dover scales. 

Anything sub £20m and it's a no brainer unless we're aiming to go full upgrade on Pope

I agree at a certain price it'd be fine. To me it's mostly about how we use our resources and having a 1A and 1B doesn't seem ideal from that standpoint. But, at the same time, I could see us thinking that the single biggest issue in our entire season was the drop-off at GK and doing whatever we need to do to prevent that from happening again.

Give the recent links to Ramsdale, Mamardashvili and Trafford, it seems a keeper is high up the agenda.

I don't know enough about Mamardashvili to get excited though. I'm surprised folk are saying he isn't good with the ball at his feet as I thought that'd be a box we'd look to tick.

6 minutes ago, alexf said:

The pope injury on reflection had the biggest impact on where we finished this season. Not only did it take Dubs a little while to shake off the rust but he also isn't the shot stopper Pope is. I think it Pope plays that Man U game we likely win it. 

But fundamentally it was his sweeping we missed the most. Dubs almost felt glued to his line in comparison. With our slow defenders like Burn, Botman, Schar we were just getting exposed, as they couldn't press high to win the ball like Eddie likes them too. 

Obviously it wasn't the only reason for our slump as injuries, form etc played a big part too, with people like Burn, Botman and Trippier all having prolonged spells of poor form post injuries etc. But not having Pope at times just exacerbated the issue. 

It's a real same that Pope's injuries/suspension have cost the team at crucial moments. I still believe we win that league cup final as well if he isn't suspended.

Just shows his importance and makes me less urgent to replace. Although getting in a young keeper with strong potential is obviously smart thinking. 

I don’t think Dubs ever shook off the rust. The second and third goals against Man United were appalling pieces of keeping, but there were examples of those littered throughout the seasons. 

As time went on we got a bit better at masking the more pronounced issues - like trying to play a high line with a goalkeeper who gets vertigo coming beyond his penalty spot - but Dubs is done.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Give the recent links to Ramsdale, Mamardashvili and Trafford, it seems a keeper is high up the agenda.

I don't know enough about Mamardashvili to get excited though. I'm surprised folk are saying he isn't good with the ball at his feet as I thought that'd be a box we'd look to tick.

Yeah that’s surprised me as well, if we spend big on a keeper surely being good with their feet is a key attribute.

2 hours ago, FCB said:

Absolutely fooking class. Would argue his passing is a weakness.

Exactly what we do not need and what we already have here :suicide:

Posted (edited)

Checked Marmaduke's stats for 22-23 and his sweeping stats are much better then tbf, around average to slightly above.

Goals conceded seems to match expected xG against.

Stopping crosses 3rd highest, compared to 4th this year.

Launched pass completion % still pretty low. High launched pass from goal kicks.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/12/2022-2023/keepersadv/2022-2023-La-Liga-Stats

Edited by Checko