NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Sort of seems like a short term Chris Wood type move. Looks like he could be available for more games than Wilson likely would and he’ll score goals if given chances, add to the threat from corners etc.. but he’d be shipped off as soon as we had a chance to upgrade properly.. which I have no issue with.

Would they really sell for 25m though, I think it’s a fair price but if roles were reversed perhaps not.

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

Sort of seems like a short term Chris Wood type move. Looks like he could be available for more games than Wilson likely would and he’ll score goals if given chances, add to the threat from corners etc.. but he’d be shipped off as soon as we had a chance to upgrade properly.. which I have no issue with.

Would they really sell for 25m though, I think it’s a fair price but if roles were reversed perhaps not.

Apparently he’s got 1 year left on his deal and not expected to sign another. I think this one could happen. TBH if he’s happy to sit on the bench for 90% of games and start the carabao cup then it’s not the worst deal in the world.

51 minutes ago, Decky said:

Really don't want Calvert-Lewin but Howe probably does given that we've been constantly linked to him. I trust the club to make the right signings so I'll back whoever we sign. 

Yup my position on things this summer. 

Feels surreal 

DCL is a very good player, minus injuries this would be a good move. One thing he suffered from, like wilson here in the earlier days, is being rushed back into action as the team was crying out for goals. If we don't do that with him, I think he could put most of it behind him. Main worry is his hamstring injuries which he seems to get a lot of, especially as he's a decent size, strength and with pace, those hammys need to be solid or his game is fucked.

5 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Wouldn’t mind DCL for 10m plus Wilson. That feels like win win

That doesn’t help our FFP case at all. We need cash 

1 hour ago, Steve Charlton said:

Not a fan of people with double barrelled surnames to start with,Will he be the 1st in black and white if he does sign?

Edit Just remembered Saint Maxi 

What a strange thing to not be a fan of 

2 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

DCL another smokescreen! 

:tobey:

I sure hope so. And I choose to believe so.

DCL is a strange one. Everton always look a much better side when he's on thr pitch and he's undoubtedly a handful when he's in form.

He does have injury problems, although not as bad as Wilson, but (and this might be unfair) he sometimes looks like he lacks heart when he plays.

Like Ramsdale, it'd be very price dependant for me.

I think Dyche has toughened him up a bit, at least trained him in a way that prevented injury recurrences.

But he can look like a bit of a passenger in games sometimes, sort of similar to how Joselu looked a bit docile at times when he used to play for us. No way Howe would accept that.

You want to see players with that sort of physical presence absolutely bully defenders.. he’s definitely got that in his game but it’s rarely seen.

Anither concern is how long it would take him to get up to the level required in terms of fitness seeming it took AG 7 months.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, STM said:

DCL played 38 games last season. Isn't that more than Isak?

Edit: Isak played 40.

Point still stands. DCL had a very good season, appearance wise 

He may have played 38 games but he probably only played 38 mins

Edited by duo

1 minute ago, duo said:

He may have played 38 games but he probably only played 38 mins

Isak played 2642

Wilson played 1370

A fit Calvert-Lewin is an absolute no brainier of a singing if the price is right, it’s just the keeping him fit that’s the issue. I like the contrast between him and Isak though, would be nice to see them play together if needed.

This DCL move seems very very opportunistic and cunning.

I hated the idea of him as the main guy when we were being linked and it looked like either him or Isak, but this is very different. He'll be joining as a rotation option and sometimes partner to Isak.

His stock is at an all time low right now. Been stuck in an awful team, not scoring as much, and last year of his contract. The supposed fee of £25 million is an absolute steal.

His physical profile, work rate and character are all great fits. He's still just 27 and gives us much of what we'd lose with Wilson going.

The one thing that really sticks out to me with DCL, was that period under Ancelotti when he looked absolutely incredible. Ancelotti raved about him at the time, and it's worth going back and reading some of those quotes.

The downside is the injuries, but as already mentioned, it doesn't actually look as bad, looking back over the last few seasons. Also, to get a back up of this kind of experience and ability, you probably will need a bit of compromise somewhere. Having two starting quality strikers, that we won't be running into the ground probably works for both, as even Isak doesn't look like he's suited to that.

I think this move only happens if Wilson is sold and we get some money for him. And so DCL would be a direct replacement. Even when we weren't sure Wilson was set to leave, there was talk of a younger, developmental striker coming in, and so could still see that happening also.

If we end the summer with Isak, DCL and a young developmental prospect that's a cheaper wonder kid type in the Minteh profile, that would be a great position to be in.

1 minute ago, JoeyBartoon said:

Can’t see what signing DCL would bring, 14 goals in 3 seasons (65 games) is a poor return, may as well keep Wilson 

It is a poor return, but Everton have been dog shit for those seasons.

The previous two seasons, when they were better, with a far better squad, he had 29 in 62 starts.

3 minutes ago, SteV said:

The previous two seasons, when they were better, with a far better squad, he had 29 in 62 starts.

People are still so caught up in goal scoring figures without any context.

Both Wilson and Isak have far outperformed their numbers before joining us.

Such a simplistic way to look at things.

16 minutes ago, SteV said:

Everton also play with 3 DMs and 2 wingers who are average 

DCL is either heading long balls or running into empty channels 

This won’t be the case here 

18 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Raise of hands if you wrote off Anthony Gordon when he was first linked? Asking for a friend

Nope. Thought he was a good potential signing. Your point stands though, people were really polarized over that lad.

Re: Calvert-Lewin, it’s hard to find decent strikes who are prepared to be back-ups. I reckon a lot are probably quite egotistical / alpha and when a first choice striker is in form you may rotate them less if e.g. you need results.

We’re shopping in a market where the player will know Isak is The Guy, and where it’s not somewhere we’re going to make a huge outlay. Similar to the Kelly transfer, if the aim isn’t to play him more than 50% of the time, then perhaps past injury issues are less concerning.

I am probably trying to talk myself into it, but I think there’s probably some logic and value in there somewhere. + Howe would make him look better than ever before, you’d expect.

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Isak played 2642

Wilson played 1370

fair enough - mind he has only played 90 mins five times plus but in that time he only scored 7 goals - Wilson scored 9 playing half as many minutes. I would rather keep Wilson.  And you can't compare DCL to Gordon - he's 27 this is his prime and he has not hit double figures for three years.

5 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Some on GOT believe it’s a done deal for DCL for 25M.

How would someone from Game Of Thrones know that?