NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's not always about that and we will have to gamble at some point, but I'd personally say there are enough reasons to avoid this one.

Absolutely we certainly will have to gamble to an extent, might as well roll the dice on someone who may actually improve so someone younger rather than Leicester back up striker. 

Posted (edited)

We have to be investing in the future - much like we did with Hall, and Tino - I feel signings like Iheanacho are a step backwards.  They don't take us forward - it's more treading water.

Edited by duo

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Absolutely we certainly will have to gamble to an extent, might as well roll the dice on someone who may actually improve so someone younger rather than Leicester back up striker. 

The only type of younger striker likely to be interested in being a backup to Isak, would be one that is still inexperienced and needs some development e.g. Moukoko let's say.

Having this kind of player as the only option behind Isak is playing with fire.

We need to pad the squad out he's a free transfer can do a job for us. We need players like a lovenkrands type to come in when injuries are a problem. 

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

I mentioned Iheanacho as a striker to get in January on the cheap when Wilson was always injured.

If we're losing Wilson and want a Prem experienced striker option on the bench as an option to replace him, it would make sense. He also won't bitch and moan about it, and would play that role. He'd also be on a free and is still only 27. I don't know why folks act as though Kelechi is trash.

We could then also still bring in a younger striker prospect like Moukoko (as an example), who wouldn't then be under as much pressure if Isak gets injured at any point.

Iheanacho looked a phenomenal prospect as a young player with Man City. Really thought he would go to the very top of the game. 28 this year, and available on a free. His seven  years at Leicester haven’t done anything for his reputation, but the fact he remains their second most expensive signing speaks to his potential. Think he could definitely do a job for us, but would imagine a signing like that would mean Wilson was staying. Doubt we’d risk only having him as ‘first team ready’ back up. 

12 minutes ago, duo said:

Eddie said the plan was to add to the quality of the squad each transfer window - I wouldn't say Iheanacho falls into that bracket

but the other couple of players we sign will.

I could get behind the Iheanacho signing, if we're looking to bring in a young versatile forward, who predominantly plays RW, and Iheanacho came in as a different option or 3rd choice then it would be an upgrade to where we are sat squadwise atm. 

Just now, KaKa said:

The only type of younger striker likely to be interested in being a backup to Isak, would be one that is still inexperienced and needs some development e.g. Moukoko let's say.

Having this kind of player as the only option behind Isak is playing with fire.

It is how you sell it though - who says it's playing behind Isak - more like learning from Isak who is arguably one of the best strikers in the world.  Align that with Eddie's track record of developing players.  I don't think it is that hard a sell - just need the right character who wants to learn.

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Iheanacho looked a phenomenal prospect as a young player with Man City. Really thought he would go to the very top of the game. 28 this year, and available on a free. His seven  years at Leicester haven’t done anything for his reputation, but the fact he remains their second most expensive signing speaks to his potential. Think he could definitely do a job for us, but would imagine a signing like that would mean Wilson was staying. Doubt we’d risk only having him as ‘first team ready’ back up. 

If Wilson stays we'd bring in a younger versatile striker as the third option.

If Wilson leaves, then signing Kelechi on a free to replace him and still signing the younger versatile striker as well, is what I'd expect.

Morgan Whittaker was linked to everyone in January but haven't seen much since, he looked really good for Plymouth before they brought in a terrible manager

3 minutes ago, duo said:

It is how you sell it though - who says it's playing behind Isak - more like learning from Isak who is arguably one of the best strikers in the world.  Align that with Eddie's track record of developing players.  I don't think it is that hard a sell - just need the right character who wants to learn.

Yeah, possibly. Think it would be tough though.

Posted (edited)

I would love us to try and be bold and go for bright talents - Vítor Roque is just an example of that.  Barca are in financial trouble and atm can't register their whole squad.

Edited by duo

7 minutes ago, duo said:

We have to be investing in the future - much like we did with Hall, and Tino - I feel signings like Iheanacho are a step backwards.  They don't take us forward - it's more treading water.

Overall you're right, but we're in tricky terrain as a club on the way up a mountain. There's a place for making smart placeholder moves to get you through a 12-24 month situation while saving energy for more strategic moves. Dan Burn is a strong example of that.

No comment on Iheanacho specifically.

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

If Wilson stays we'd bring in a younger versatile striker as the third option.

If Wilson leaves, then signing Kelechi on a free to replace him and still signing the younger versatile striker as well, is what I'd expect.

If Wilson stays and we sign Iheanacho as 3rd choice and then sign someone to upgrade RW, I'd still call that a good move. Even if the RW upgrade is the club deeming Minteh good enough. 

As a cheap squad option, depending on wages, Iheanacho is fine. If it means keeping Isak and Wilson, we would get enough cover at CF for a season, and prioritise funds for elsewhere. 

39 minutes ago, M1tche said:

If Wilson stays and we sign Iheanacho as 3rd choice and then sign someone to upgrade RW, I'd still call that a good move. Even if the RW upgrade is the club deeming Minteh good enough. 

Sensible

I’m not sure any young backup would be that willing to come here tbh, Isak is clearly the man, and he’s only 24. There isn’t really a path to being the main man for the next 4-5 years. Injuries yea, but you’re still playing second fiddle for a long period. 

I would rather sign Iheanacho on a short term deal to see if Howe can get him back on track than commit £20 million on DCL.

I am sure if we could invest freely then he wouldn’t be someone we would consider. However, that isn’t the case and with Tosin going to Chelsea then we might need to spend on another centre back too.

I like Gordon up top if Isak is out, his movement in the box when he isn’t in possession is high level, arguably better than Isak in that department.

1 minute ago, Matt1892 said:

I would rather sign Iheanacho on a short term deal to see if Howe can get him back on track than commit £20 million on DCL.

I am sure if we could invest freely then he wouldn’t be someone we would consider. However, that isn’t the case and with Tosin going to Chelsea then we might need to spend on another centre back too.

I like Gordon up top if Isak is out, his movement in the box when he isn’t in possession is high level, arguably better than Isak in that department.

I disagree that Gordon should be up top if Isak is injured -,Gordon stays on the wing and only plays as the 9 if we are desperate - we should never be in this position 

11 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

I’m not sure any young backup would be that willing to come here tbh, Isak is clearly the man, and he’s only 24. There isn’t really a path to being the main man for the next 4-5 years. Injuries yea, but you’re still playing second fiddle 

Probably why we want someone versatile who can come in across the front line.

1 hour ago, duo said:

Eddie said the plan was to add to the quality of the squad each transfer window - I wouldn't say Iheanacho falls into that bracket

If £15m for Longstaff is true then that would go a long way towards paying for a quality replacement long term as well as giving us some cover up front in the short term.

26 minutes ago, gdm said:

£16m from KSA sounds a fair deal for a Euro International player at his peak.