NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Like I did (wrongly) with Gordon, I don't think DCL is a good option.. cause of his injury history mainly but he also seems mentally complacent. Still, if he's motivated to start over his career and work hard for Eddie, like Anthony, it could be an astute transfer for a low-ish fee.

But we've probably offered him slightly more than his current salary.. he's supposed to be on more than 100k a week. If it's true that he couldn't agree personal terms with us, then he's clearly not motivated to improve, so he's not our guy.

I read that Olmo is leaving Leipzig and has a 60m release clause. Can play anywhere along the front line. We had 60m earmarked for Olise, could it be going here instead? He's quite shy and would suit our policy. Also read he wants to play in a league which is more promoted than Germany so his talents are not overlooked. Sounds perfect tbh??? 

16 hours ago, Rocker said:

I don't know if it's because I'm approaching 40 (which is mental, considering I've been on this forum since I was 17), but I don't crave a transfer rumour or links etc anymore. I still get excited when we sign a player and I'll do all the research into his stats etc, but I dismiss all the elongated preamble of the pre-season, especially the early part of pre-season.

Saying that, I still log in everyday. [emoji38] :milner:

Similar situation here. If the joined date on my profile is correct, I'll have been on here for more than half of my life in 2 years, which is also when I turn 40 :lol: Guess that's part of the appeal to this place that there are many in the same boat rather than discussing Newcastle/football/life with fedora tipping redditors or randoms/bots on twitter.

I find myself caring a lot less about transfers now than before too, but I think a big part of it is that I have much more faith in the people at the club doing the right thing.

22 hours ago, r0cafella said:

He’s being linked a lot, this isn’t the first rodeo. 

By that logic Bruno is moving to Man City, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Arsenal and Man Utd.

Poor guys legs will be fucked.

Edited by Joe1984

9 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I for one think £30m for a 27 year old backup/plan b striker who has a 1 in 2 record under a good manager is actually a really good deal (if he stayed fit)

DCL is a pretty good match to Callum Wilson when we bought him. Same age, very similar stats, very similar injury, quite similar build with DCL taller. A striker who's a #9 and doesn't really do any of the #10 stuff. Decent goalscoring record in a mostly failing team. Wilson had just been relegated in Howe's Bournemouth. Wilson never greatly overperformed xG when at Bournemouth. He's way more clinical now and full credit to him for it. Wilson when bought was simply someone who'd done average-y in a not-so-good team, which means there was upside potential when placed in a better environment, even if it was initially just quite good players (ASM etc.) managed by that fat lazy lump.

If we paid 20M for Callum Wilson four years ago and DCL is now 25M or so, that makes him a moneyball type signing. I don't care about DCL wearing a skirt etc. but it sounds like Howe is genuinely hard on players, and the main question would be is DCL up for working as hard as Howe demands.

25 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Newcastle people carriers leaving training ground this morning.

Might mean something, probably means fuck all:sad:

J-David landing post Canuck Copa knockout.

35 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I thought it was direct from Amanda Staveley's social media

Not sure, I’ve only seen it on that Will twitter and Joel Bland twitter.

Based on ability, would I be comfortable with Calvert-Lewin being our main forward if Isak was in it for a period of time through injury? Absolutely not.

6 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Based on ability, would I be comfortable with Calvert-Lewin being our main forward if Isak was in it for a period of time through injury? Absolutely not.

It you want someone better than DCL who is happy to be backup, you either have to pay a fortune in wages or get lucky/good with your scouting.

6 minutes ago, SteV said:

It you want someone better than DCL who is happy to be backup, you either have to pay a fortune in wages or get lucky/good with your scouting.

Calvert-Lewin is going to cost a fortune in wages.

If Wilson is going, that's DCL's money right there.

Sorry to go back to Bowen yet again and the "low risk" aspect, but if we don't do well this season, the bigger risk is we lose some combination of Bruno, Isak, and Gordon next summer. Oh, and Howe himself if the big bosses in Saudi are unhappy. The people directly managing the club are unlikely to have the final say.

Eight points off Villa, who finished the season W3 D4 L3 with a minus goal difference in those 10 games, and now face CL

No Poch at Chelsea, who were improving

No Klopp at Liverpool. Maybe no Salah too.

ten Hag retained in spite of whatever pathetic goal difference they managed

Hang onto Bruno and Isak and strengthen where we need to and we should be back up there. With Bowen, genuine competition for Pope, and reasonable injury luck, I think we'd be up there. 

1 minute ago, Stottie said:

Sorry to go back to Bowen yet again and the "low risk" aspect, but if we don't do well this season, the bigger risk is we lose some combination of Bruno, Isak, and Gordon next summer. Oh, and Howe himself if the big bosses in Saudi are unhappy. The people directly managing the club are unlikely to have the final say.

Eight points off Villa, who finished the season W3 D4 L3 with a minus goal difference in those 10 games, and now face CL

Hang onto Bruno and Isak and strengthen where we need to and we should be back up there. With Bowen, genuine competition for Pope, and reasonable injury luck, I think we'd be up there. 

Found the problem.

We'll sign Calvert-lewin IMO.

Howe has wanted him since his first January window. A deal will be done at £20m ish late in the window, or around half of that in Jan i reckon.

Absolutely don't want calvin llewelyn bowne or whatever his name is. Just because I hate double barrel names, just pick the better sounding one ffs. 

7 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I think we'd up there with the same squad and less injuries TBH, but obviously we will do a lot more than that. 

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

Similar situation here. If the joined date on my profile is correct, I'll have been on here for more than half of my life in 2 years, which is also when I turn 40 :lol: Guess that's part of the appeal to this place that there are many in the same boat rather than discussing Newcastle/football/life with fedora tipping redditors or randoms/bots on twitter.

I find myself caring a lot less about transfers now than before too, but I think a big part of it is that I have much more faith in the people at the club doing the right thing.

This sooooo this

18 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Calvert-Lewin is going to cost a fortune in wages.

So finding someone better is going to cost even more.

Unless you’re an established CL team, finding a quality backup striker to an elite level one, is one of the most difficult positions to fill.

Spurs struggled for years to find any kind of backup to Kane, Levy probably absolutely fumed at the amount they wasted trying. Eventually they kinda solved it with Son, although that might have been more luck than judgement as not sure that was actually the reason he was bought.

Thought we have a deal accepted with Everton for a DCL-Minteh swap, only for it to fall through when we didn't accept DCL's wage demands. Can't see if anything will change if so. He is likely waiting out his contract before securing a lucrative move somewhere.

1 minute ago, LRD said:

Thought we have a deal accepted with Everton for a DCL-Minteh swap, only for it to fall through when we didn't accept DCL's wage demands. Can't see if anything will change if so. He is likely waiting out his contract before securing a lucrative move somewhere.

That’s exactly what happened, people are speculating that if Wilson were to be sold it would free up wages to bring in DCL. 

16 minutes ago, Pixelphish said:

Found the problem.

Bowen's had 30 starts for seven straight seasons! Availability is the best ability yada yada. [emoji38]

24 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I don’t think Wilson will go.