NUFC Transfer Rumours

31 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

If we were actually in for him (which I don't think was ever confirmed), maybe he didn't want to sign for us

Just because I fancy Michelle Collins and DM her on Insta to see if she wants to go on a date doesn't mean we'll end up sat in The Gunner with a pint of John Smiths each and a packet of ribbed Durex in her purse

But if you lowered your standards could maybe coax Gemma Collins into that scenario! 

8 minutes ago, duo said:

Lost Anderson, Minteh

We didn't have Minteh in our squad last season. We lost Anderson, but regained Tonali and added Kelly.

We have the same (I'd say a better) squad as we had playing CL last year, going into a season with no European football – with a lot less need for rotation.

10 minutes ago, duo said:

Lost Anderson, Minteh

Squad definitely looks weaker to me than the end of last summer's window, if you take age into account as well. Trippier and Wilson in particular were huge contributers who seem to be on the downward slope, Almiron's form has gone, Botman remains to be seen if he'll get his pre injury form back.. 

Not sure the incomings to the squad since then offset that. 

I would still back Howe to get the most out of the squad this season but clear limitations unless Isak/Gordon etc come into amazing form which is possible. Think 8th or 9th possibly lower will be out level as others like Brighton and West Ham look to have strengthened.

We really need a better model in place to bring younger under radar players in and getting academy players through and not just banking on one 70 million player, there are others that could maybe have done a job and improvement on what we have now. I get the hype around Guehi and I wanted him but we should have had alternatives that improve squad as a whole. Surely 30 million on a centre back and a right winger would have helped overall given our lack of quality in those positions right now.

The lack of strengthening itself isn’t the worst thing that will affect us and potentially hinder us. It’s everything around, the talk, the vibe, the rumours and all the negative talk. I see that as the biggest possible stick in the wheel which could affect us negatively. 

Just now, Alberts Mustache said:

We didn't have Minteh in our squad last season. We lost Anderson, but regained Tonali and added Kelly.

We have the same (I'd say a better) squad as we had playing CL last year, going into a season with no European football – with a lot less need for rotation.

Minteh would have been - and looks a quality RW

6 minutes ago, duo said:

Lost Anderson, Minteh

Anderson is average and would've been something like sixth choice CM, and we haven't lost a thing in Minteh cos he wasn't here last season (or ever).

We've brought by in Kelly and Osula. That at the very least evens us out, doesn't it? If you're being unkind. I'd argue that we're very (barely noticeably) stronger. Ruddy is probably better than Karius n'all.

3 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I think about this a lot actually. The level of "journalism" over there is wildly inconsistent and more click bait-y than sports journalism is over here. Someone like Adam Schefter for instance doesn't deal in rumors, he just states facts that he gets before anyone else does. The columns and tweets across the pond are very much just rumors and opinions parading as facts and I think that skews a lot of people's views and we end up with a lot of what is being said on this forum today because of it.

As I mentioned before, it's extremely frustrating for me since I am working in a field where I have to be very careful with everything I work on. This latest project is dealing with a particuarly litigious guy who is just itching for a defamation suit. But even though I don't  like him much, I still feel a responsibility to not throw him under the bus with wild speculation and sensationalist innuendo. Journalism has suffered across the board from this in the last 15 years to compete for clicks with citizen journalists who have no accountability for what they say (see the Cecil Hotel fiasco). But I can't remember a time in my life that sports journalism in the UK wasn't generally the absolute pits. From my perspective, it's been there long before the clickbait era.

That squad failed to qualify for Europe last season.

If we are counting getting Tonali back in these conversations why does no ever consider us losing Lascelles for pretty much the whole season & Botman for half of it if not most of it. We are weaker 

This needed to be a big summer + it's been the complete opposite. All the calmness around here is strange.

Genuinely staggered that they've put all their eggs in the Guehi basket and let Howe overrule those above him. Come on, work together. There's loads of good players out there.

Anyway, it has vibes of this being Howe's final chapter. Momentum of 22/23 completely gone. I really thought there was a top four spot waiting if we signed a couple of first-teamers - just a couple.

But not only has the PSR shambles lost us Minteh + potentially turned Gordon's head, we didn't even touch the funds. Apart from that unproven Sheff Utd kid.

To have no back-up CB targets is truly staggering. Let's hope something can be pulled out of the bag tomorrow, even just a Chalobah/Disasi loan.... whatever.

Faith in the club has disappeared.

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

The lack of strengthening itself isn’t the worst thing that will affect us and potentially hinder us. It’s everything around, the talk, the vibe, the rumours and all the negative talk. I see that as the biggest possible stick in the wheel which could affect us negatively. 

This is why I think not signing ANY player is a massive massive risk in more than one way.  

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

If we are counting getting Tonali back in these conversations why does no ever consider us losing Lascelles for pretty much the whole season & Botman for half of it if not most of it. We are weaker 

Maybe that’s because both of them were missing for half of last season too

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Anderson is average and would've been something like sixth choice CM, and we haven't lost a thing in Minteh cos he wasn't here last season (or ever).

We've brought by in Kelly and Osula. That at the very least evens us out, doesn't it? If you're being unkind. I'd argue that we're very (barely noticeably) stronger. Ruddy is probably better than Karius n'all.

Not sure how we can't class Minteh as a loss - if we'd kept him I would have took that as a win.  Looks a decent player in a position we desperately need to strengthen.

10 minutes ago, duo said:

This transfer window has been poor - can't believe we are saying we are aiming for CL football and then going into the season with a weaker squad. 

Assuming no injury crisis it’s at least as strong as the team that finished 4th, isn’t it? 

I’m still clinging onto hope that we’ll go for someone else, or attempt any right winger. My brain just can’t comprehend this “Guehi or nothing” idea. It would be flagrant mismanagement and makes no sense.

8 minutes ago, Alberts Mustache said:

If you're going to count Tonali, you should also account for Botman and Lascelles losing several months. Which knew before the summer even started.

Edited by Erikse

2 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Maybe that’s because both of them were missing for half of last season too

Both did their ACL in late March. Botman still played 17 league games losing his this season has to be in the conversation