NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

Agreed, understand why we didn’t sign him in August but not sure why we stopped after that. It’s possible we felt Isak was just a better version of him or that Isak / Gordon made him redundant.

Part of me thinks we might only add to the front three if a deal presents itself or with a young player who may not start for awhile.

What actually is our front three? ASM, Isak/Wilson, Almiron? Desperate for another wide player surely?

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

What actually is our front three? ASM, Isak/Wilson, Almiron? Desperate for another wide player surely?

You could say it's:

LW
Isak

Big Joe

ASM

Gordon

CF

Isak

Wilson

RW
Miggy

Gordon

Murphy

I'd like another option on the right for sure, but this seems a good time to once again tap the "Gordon may be a bigger part of plans than many think" sign.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Some solid options there, but if Murphy and Gordon are the alternatives to Almiron to try and unlock stubborn defences we’re fucked 😂 I love Miggy but we’ve needed a better option for 2 years now 

I agree, although I'd like to think new players is only one path to fixing this problem. I assume Eddie and team are hard at work thinking about how to use our existing players with different formations / tactics to break down a team sitting behind the ball. I really hope we have a better plan B this season in those types of games.

Just now, Matt1892 said:

Isak 
Joelinton              Almiron

Willock      Tonali

Bruno 

Almiron is a stand out weak link there.

Not a popular opinion, but I think that RW is the position that we need to improve the most and, if we need to sell Miggy to finance that, we should. 

Miggy will never have a higher sale price and Murphy won't  bring anything in terms of sales-- though he is a good squad player.

Wonder if we’d go back to Atlanta for Thiago Almada. Best player in MLS, won the WC with Argentina. Attacking mid who can play in the wing. Could probably be had for £15-20m.

18 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Not a popular opinion, but I think that RW is the position that we need to improve the most and, if we need to sell Miggy to finance that, we should. 

Miggy will never have a higher sale price and Murphy won't  bring anything in terms of sales-- though he is a good squad player.

I agree selling high on Miggy is intriguing, but my strong assumption is we'd sell ASM before we sell him. I'd prefer to keep the unique attributes he offers but selling ASM to help fund a RW would definitely increase our balance across the front.

23 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

I had this thought earlier. If a decent bid came in, it'd be worth listening too.

29 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Isak 
Joelinton              Almiron

Willock      Tonali

Bruno 

Almiron is a stand out weak link there.

I agree. I think Tonali where you have Bruno. Joelinton where you have Willock. ASM or Gordon on the left. Almiron or whoever we buy on the right. Murphy will be 3rd option on the right. 

Isak/Callum
ASM/Gordon          Almiron/New RW  

Jow       Bruno                                           
                   Tonali

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

I agree selling high on Miggy is intriguing, but my strong assumption is we'd sell ASM before we sell him. I'd prefer to keep the unique attributes he offers but selling ASM to help fund a RW would definitely increase our balance across the front.

I can see that. I wonder how many different factors are being weighed. For example, how ASM or Miggy  is perceived by the other players off the pitch. ASM offers something really special when he’s on his game, but it seemed like he only showed it when he was up against the big sides. Still we have more options there: Isak, JoeLinton, Gordon and ASM would bring in more cash.  

Best case, we don’t sell either. but if we need to sell to bring in someone like Diaby, Chiesa, or whomever the club has identified as an improvement, we should.

Keep Miggy, what we'll likely get for him won't offset what he offers us even as a bench option. He'd be great against tiring defences or even if we're looking to defend a lead with his work rate, not to mention there's very little chance of him dropping his standards or being a disruptive influence if he's not starting. He's a perfect squad player and good sides need them too. The RW spot could use an upgrade but a signing there would leave us overloaded too. I reckon Murphy would be an attractive prospect for one of the promoted sides and possibly bring in around 15 million but dammit there's just something romantic about the idea of him playing in the CL. He epitomises the improvement in the side in the last 18 months. Not an easy one to solve.

The "weak link" imo is not the RW, it's the left and that's because your primary threat there, ASM, has been unreliable. This kind of formation requires all three up front to be productive threats. If ASM continues on the often injured path, it means you have a gap there. Big Joe is a great multi use tool we all love but while he can be used in various roles and positions and situations, he can't be your starting left wing if you want to compete for big things (neither can he be a starting midfielder in my opinion). Same goes for Willock though I think he is more suitable to a more attacking midfielder role. 

RW does not present as much of a weakness until Miggy starts slipping and shows he can't maintain his current level. For now, he's good enough.

No that I would complain with another midfielder but I think if the team is to make one more big signing it need to be a star attacking player even if not an outright winger.

The interplay down the left between Joelinton and Willock was one of the most satisfying aspects of last season for me. Unless someone like Leao was available and we'd a clear run at him it shouldn't be a priority. Be really excited to see what an attacking left back might add to the mix there.

1 hour ago, gazza ladra said:

I’m with you on this one tbh.  This is probably the best moment to maximise cash value for Miggy.  

2 hours ago, McCormick said:

Left wing is fairly stacked tbf. You’ve got Isak, ASM, Joelinton, Gordon and even Anderson or Murphy could be called upon if necessary.

Isak needs to be starting at CF. You don't "have" ASM if he's injured most of the time. Gordon as it stands right now is not ready. So you're "stacked" only in theory.

You're OK at LW only under the assumption that you have ASM. And most of you guys had him written off and don't tell me otherwise. And for good reason.

Joelinton is great and a lot of things and he will get starts depending on the situation but he's not a winger and he's not ASM. And neither is willock

8 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Miggy is vastly underrated by this forum, especially in a Howe team. If you sold him you’d need to buy two right wingers. 

:thup:

If you watch our goals last season back he was absolutely vital first half of the season. His assists and goals haul was brilliant. And that's before you start to discuss his energy, pace and pressing. And getting on the end of Bruno and Trippier passes too, he makes the runs they want to feed. There's plenty to argue he had a purple patch, but I think he will again under Howe go on to do pretty good next season. Maybe not as good as last years highs, but he's proven he a very useful player. Prefer we had someone even better and had Miggy for late impact sub, rotation with so many games or cover if whoever we buy as a better first team option gets injured. If we sell him then he needs replacing on top of buying another right wing forward, so yeah no point in selling him.

Murphy is also useful, but I'd prefer an upgrade rather than picking from the two. It doesn't have to be this window, but you'd imagine it's near the top of the list of priorities. 

Almiron is great off the ball, but very one dimensional on it. Not helped by being entirely one footed.