NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

@Mike change this back to a normal thread title. The minute you switched it you were all hyped up about the Tonali thing and since then we haven’t signed Maddison or Dom and I’m going to blame you for that.

Edited by Kanji

18 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Get yourself on Twitter, it's absolutely wild.

In what way is it belittling to suggest that something might not be the most healthy behaviour?

I know how it is on Twitter and the magnitude is sky-high with personal comments and emotion. Again though you’re gonna get that from time to time anywhere. The likelihood is, as of on here, you’ve got people who are just youngens or generally people who passionately invest a lot of hope, particularly at this time and do get their hopes up, share disappointment. To call them weird or odd is a bit belittling aye. Now you’re saying it’s an unhealthy behaviour. So now we’re psychologists? Again, belittling. Just because you don’t personally feel like that doesn’t give you some right to say they’re odd or weird for it. Bloody hell :lol:

Just now, Kanji said:

@Mike change this back to a normal thread title. The minute you switched it we didn’t sign Maddison or Dom and I’m going to blame you for that. 

Can he not just change it because of the anomalous 't' that is irritating everyone?

15 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I’m also a bit curious how Liverpool plan to run a midfield or attack with Dom, Salah, Gakpo, Diaz and Jota. 

Szobo will certainly take Henderson's place. So they will line up in possession:

Diaz - Gakpo - Salah

MacAllister - Szobo

Fabinho - TAA

Robertson-VVD-Konate

Allison

Nunez is the odd man out. Seems like a bust at the moment. Strong attacking line up that, and strong bench. I would guess that they will concede a lot again though.

3 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

Targett was excellent until his injury problems. Perhaps the club think he can get back to that form and fitness with a full pre-season. It's easier to improve the first team at LB (for big money) rather than RB but it's easier to improve the squad at RB for substantially less money, and then you'd have 4 decent full back options. So there is a case for leaving LB as it is but it all depends on Targett. If We go big on a LB and then Trippier is crocked and we're left with Manquillo or Krafth, I think the net outcome is worse. Then you factor in the extra fixtures and Trippier's age.

I think thats fair and the judgement about what is right will depend on how Targett is fairing, fitness and mentality wise. The way it falls for me is that across the back 5 we have starting 11 quality internationals except at LB. Trippier is still starting 11 for 23/24 so LB is where i would go, meaning Burn becomes cover CB. Manquillo on his way out, no? 

9 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

RW is just as important as LB and DM

Sure there are different ways to look at it. My view is that our starting 11 RW is better than our starting 11 LB. So for me, its a higher priority. 

At the end of last season I wanted first team upgrades to Burn, Longstaff and Almiron, as well as some cover for Schar at the back. That is where my thinking is with this still.

I do wonder if we are looking at players coming in to the final year of their contract from abroad that we are hoping to pick up at a discount, as if we have already tapped the player up their club will know we can sign a pre agreement from January. So the later in the window it goes the more they will be squeezed.

11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

We were heavily linked with Livramento on Monday and we've just signed Tonali after the signing of Minteh. 

Yous are getting worse, proper transfer addicts. :lol: The gap between Botman and Isak last year was massive, if you can't handle this you'll all be a wreck if that happens again. 

I think the subject has got confused a bit hasn't it? People are just talking about missing out on a particular player. I don't think timing is a huge issue.

2 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

This is the worst iteration of the transfer rumours thread yet. Nothing but a shit title and blue balls.

You must have a very short memory :lol:

38 minutes ago, Geordie Boyo said:

I know how it is on Twitter and the magnitude is sky-high with personal comments and emotion. Again though you’re gonna get that from time to time anywhere. The likelihood is, as of on here, you’ve got people who are just youngens or generally people who passionately invest a lot of hope, particularly at this time and do get their hopes up, share disappointment. To call them weird or odd is a bit belittling aye. Now you’re saying it’s an unhealthy behaviour. So now we’re psychologists? Again, belittling. Just because you don’t personally feel like that doesn’t give you some right to say they’re odd or weird for it. Bloody hell :lol:

I think you're reading into my semantics a bit too much.

I think that emotionally investing in a football player that doesn't play for my football club because they were linked by a journalist or an ITK, then having a meltdown when they don't sign isn't particularly healthy behaviour.

We all have our shit though, so if people want to do that crack on. Just don't expect others not to comment when their enjoyment of social media or a forum is impacted by that. That isn't a dig at anyone on this site, but the mood music on Twitter is grim and you can see it starting to seep in here too.

Edited by The Prophet

Shows how far that we have to come still that we may have missed our 2 top targets to teams we beat to finish top 4 last season. Until we can afford to pay the big wages it’s going to be the case. 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The club is snookered by FFP.  It’s going to be tricky for a couple of more years - the likelihood is that we’ll struggle at various points.

I don’t think our squad is that terrible tbh.  

It's not terrible, and it's not CL quality either despite us qualifiying through brilliant team leadership. I think we have to rein in our expectations a little bit, maintaining CL qualification is going to be a tall order when the Hallowed Six clubs are financially structured and aided by FFP to beat us to the best players. We'll get there, will just take a bit of time, I think everyone got caught up in the storm because we got into the CL this time.

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

It's not terrible, and it's not CL quality either despite us qualifiying through brilliant team leadership. I think we have to rein in our expectations a little bit, maintaining CL qualification is going to be a tall order when the Hallowed Six clubs are financially structured and aided by FFP to beat us to the best players. We'll get there, will just take a bit of time, I think everyone got caught up in the storm because we got into the CL this time.

Yeah, that’s where my thoughts are too

It doesn't make a shit of difference when signings arrive in the period been the last game of the season and the first day of pre-season. After that point, it becomes less and less ideal - but we're still talking very, very minor consequences. I don't think it matters that much when you've got such a strong dressing room and a coaching staff that is so adept at integrating new faces. Getting quality players in is the priority.

9 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It doesn't make a shit of difference when signings arrive in the period been the last game of the season and the first day of pre-season. After that point, it becomes less and less ideal - but we're still talking very, very minor consequences. I don't think it matters that much when you've got such a strong dressing room and a coaching staff that is so adept at integrating new faces. Getting quality players in is the priority.

Agree and the thing we have above all else is a coach that will improve anyone that comes in as well as the toughest atmosphere in the league to play under (alongside Anfield imo). Marry those up with a team spirit we've developed since the takeover and we will still be sniffing around the top 4 next season.

We've got bedwetting about transfers and we finished 4th last season with Jacob Murphy playing 50% of league games at right wing. The recruitment has been and will continue to be excellent with Ashworth, Nickson and Howe at the helm.

Edited by JP

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If we are to abide by FFP we need to adopt a model similar to to the RB teams and Dortmund. Eg buying young players and selling high. Once you get a couple £70m sales you can really have fun. 

I think we spend a lot of money in this window anyway. 

How much do you think we’ll spend?

42 minutes ago, TRon said:

We arguably have the best squad out of Pots 3 and 4, so to say the squad isn’t CL quality seems harsh.

A squad good enough to win it is a different thing altogether.