NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Just now, Skeletor said:

I don't know why we bought Gordon, but he doesn't tick the goal scoring box.

I’d suggest EH thinks he does and that’s why we bought him 🤷🏼‍♂️

Just now, LFEE said:

I’d suggest EH thinks he does and that’s why we bought him 🤷🏼‍♂️

I don't know why he would think that since nothing in Gordon's career suggests he's a consistent goal scorer.

Much depends on what the plan is for Joelinton.

If we see him primarily playing LW then I guess in theory you have him and ASM for that spot and Gordon and Almiron on the RW. With Murphy the 5th winger and Isak also being able to play there.

Add another CM and have Bruno, Tonali, Longstaff, Willock and the new player competing for this spots.

So without an addition I suppose we do have the bodies in terms of wide men... I just don't know if there are enough goals in that group.

Gordon came out after a recent U21 game with England and said he feels he may actually be best as a number nine. 

"To be honest, I feel like it may be my best position because I think I’m better running off people.

"You can see when Morgs gets the ball and I’m spinning, I can use my pace a bit more. You can get a bit isolated on the wing, drifting in and out of games."

There's different ways of reading that statement, and of reading too much into it too, but to me it isn't especially encouraging. 

2 minutes ago, Shak said:

Much depends on what the plan is for Joelinton.

If we see him primarily playing LW then I guess in theory you have him and ASM for that spot and Gordon and Almiron on the RW. With Murphy the 5th winger and Isak also being able to play there.

Add another CM and have Bruno, Tonali, Longstaff, Willock and the new player competing for this spots.

So without an addition I suppose we do have the bodies in terms of wide men... I just don't know if there are enough goals in that group.

On the assumption that Miggy won't hit the same numbers again, no there isn't.

RW is the team's weak link. Yeah ASM and Gordon could play there, but the options are Almiron and Murphy. We need an attacker for that side with a much better attacking output; there's nothing to suggest in Almirón's 4 and a half years here that that run in October-November wasn't a purple patch.

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Didn’t we score loads of goals last season? 

68, yet we underperformed our xG. We were above Arsenal and Man Utd in the league for xG and xGA.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

16 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

I don't know why we bought Gordon, but he doesn't tick the goal scoring box.

Everton are now relegation fodder so its hard to achieve much there. 

He's got 5 in 12 for England U21 and is starting again today in 40 minutes time.

4 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Everton are now relegation fodder so its hard to achieve much there. 

He's got 5 in 12 for England U21 and is starting again today in 40 minutes time.

The level of the under 21 tournament is no real marker tbh. I think he will be much improved this year for us, but can’t see him being the creative/goal scoring winger we need

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

RW is the team's weak link. Yeah ASM and Gordon could play there, but the options are Almiron and Murphy. We need an attacker for that side with a much better attacking output; there's nothing to suggest in Almirón's 4 and a half years here that that run in October-November wasn't a purple patch.

Kev from Statsbomb wrote an article saying Almiron was posing a much larger goal threat just before the hot streak started. So Howe definitely changed things up with him. Almiron scored something like four from outside the box, so I would agree that is unlikely. However, for me, the slate is clear for all of the Cabbagehead era. I wouldn't judge any player based on that. It sounds like they were barely training.

3 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Kev from Statsbomb wrote an article saying Almiron was posing a much larger goal threat just before the hot streak started. So Howe definitely changed things up with him. Almiron scored something like four from outside the box, so I would agree that is unlikely. However, for me, the slate is clear for all of the Cabbagehead era. I wouldn't judge any player based on that. It sounds like they were barely training.

He's always posed a larger threat from a stats POV, the problem is his finishing doesn't match up to the threat. You could say the same for Joelinton and Willock. All good players in other aspects, but they don't make a habit of clinical finishing.

6 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I don't want to sound like I'm going in on him, but he's scored 2 goals in 2023 in a side that regularly creates a higher volume of chances than opponents. The Chelsea game last day of the season sums him up in front of goal for me. 

I don't want him sold, he's a very good option to have especially with the extra games and in games where we press a lot but see little of the ball like the Brighton home game was where he was MOTM. But against sides that sit deep against us and allow us the lion's share of the ball he's not useful imo. That's where I would anyway like to see us upgrade and spend big money on this window.

Just now, TRon said:

He's always posed a larger threat from a stats POV, the problem is his finishing doesn't match up to the threat. You could say the same for Joelinton and Willock. All good players in other aspects, but they don't make a habit of clinical finishing.

And they lack quite a bit on the killer pass. I know im asking a lot finding a RW capable of a pass and scoring goals, but against tight teams all our wide players struggle.

1 minute ago, buzz said:

Phillips was great for Bielsa but big question marks about his fitness/aptitude now. Gallagher would be disappointing

That's why a loan would be ideal. Can test his fitness/aptitude, fills a midfield spot, and allows us to spend money elsewhere. If he's not up to it anymore, even under Eddie, then we can buy someone else in the summer.

35 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’d be surprised if we view RCB as the most important signing to make as well.

I sort of agree, but I didn't think we'd see goalkeeper as a high priority last summer either and look what happened...  So I don't think we can rule it out.

47 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

I don't know why he would think that since nothing in Gordon's career suggests he's a consistent goal scorer.

He's a also a very young player. I dont think there are too many in his age group who are already consistently scoring goals as a wide player. I wouldnt be surprised at all if he develops in that area as he grows.

1 minute ago, Sufi said:

He's a also a very young player. I dont think there are too many in his age group who are already consistently scoring goals as a wide player. I wouldnt be surprised at all if he develops in that area as he grows.

That's all well and good, but as per my original point, we need someone who will score goals now in those wide positions. Unless Almiron replicates his scoring form again, we don't have one.