NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

35 minutes ago, STM said:

This is one of the more mental things I've read recently.

We are "desperate" to get rid of our second best goalkeeper? And second best right back?

Also why would you be content shipping out 3 players who helped us get 4th last year?

What benefit is there in selling Murphy or Burn for example? You wouldn't get a replacement for the money we would get. 

The only players Howe will be keen to see that back of, are the ones who aren't currently with the squad in the US, namely Hendrick, Fraser an Co.

I'll give you some context to better understand. 

- I don't see a huge disparity between Karius and Dubravka. If anything I thought Dubravka was quite poor last night, and we've just offered Karius a year extension, so I'd imagine we're keen to get him out so we have Pope, Karius and Gillespie as our three goalkeepers. Also our second best right back - in your opinion - is pulling in 50k a week. 

- As for right backs, I'd say Manquillo and Krafth are probably on par, and Manqiillo has played left back. We're heavily linked with Livramento so we're clearly prioritizing that as a position because we need depth. If we're doing that it's with a view to moving some people on because we can't keep what would be five right backs. 

- Because I appreciate that we're aspiring to stay in the top four and go higher and that will necessitate very difficult decisions. It means you're constantly looking to improve the squad. It's not me saying ship them out tomorrow they're shite, it's more that I see those are the next few players we'll likely try to replace. 

- I literally preface that group as being 'if we had time to replace them' I can't be more overt than that. I state I'd be ok letting them go if we could find the replacement. You're getting mad about something I haven't said. 

- I don't know how you can say that when we're selling ASM to Al-Ahli and Ashworth has made it clear player trading is a thing. 

Edited by Viana

3 minutes ago, STM said:

Which games has he been completely rubbish in since he returned from injury?

name one game that he is solid and didn’t commit mistakes? He even looks fucking shakey during those 15 mins sub-in time.

I am surprised that some really thinks he is still reliable. If that’s the case why are we shouting for a new LB asap? 

Keeping Burn as left side cover, Targett needs upgrading urgently.  We need someone with athleticism, pace and an abilty to overlap.  Target, unforunately, doesn't really have any of those attributes.  For me, left back should be our current number one priority.

17 minutes ago, Zero said:

= Targetts performance these six months.

those who say he is “reliable” as a LB now, I can only assume he didn’t really watch the game and just look at stats or past memories. 

The season stopped 28th May and its now 25th July, so there's 2 months of your 6 out of the window already. 

In the 4 months before that:

• He started v Chelsea in a dead rubber
  • Came on in 95th min v Brighton
  • Came on 82nd minute v Arsenal
  • Played 68 mins in our 1-4 win at Everton
  • Came on 68th min v Villa when the game was gone
  • Came on 85th min v WHU 
  • Came on 87th min v Man City away

So the earliest he played this year was 4th March away to Man City after a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Meaning he didn't play in January and February, and thus another another 2 months of your 6 out the window.

So interested to know, what exactly was completely rubbish about Targett in those handful of appearances he made late off the bench and the one game he did start in the last 6 months? (Bear in mind in 4 of those 6 months he was either injured or the season had ended and no football was being played)

Edited by mrraspberryjam

3 minutes ago, Zero said:

name one game that he is solid and didn’t commit mistakes? He even looks fucking shakey during those 15 mins sub-in time.

I am surprised that some really thinks he is still reliable. If that’s the case why are we shouting for a new LB asap? 

Because we want a natural LB there instead of Burn?

9 minutes ago, mrraspberryjam said:

The season stopped 28th May and its now 25th July, so there's 2 months of your 6 out of the window already. 

In the 4 months before that:

• He started v Chelsea in a dead rubber
  • Came on in 95th min v Brighton
  • Came on 82nd minute v Arsenal
  • Played 68 mins in our 1-4 win at Everton
  • Came on 68th min v Villa when the game was gone
  • Came on 85th min v WHU 
  • Came on 87th min v Man City away

So the earliest he played this year was 4th March away to Man City after a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Meaning he didn't play in January and February, and thus another another 2 months of your 6 out the window.

So interested to know, what exactly was completely rubbish about Targett in those handful of appearances he made late off the bench and the one game he did start in the last 6 months? (Bear in mind in 4 of those 6 months he was either injured or the season had ended and no football was being played)

He's talking shit basically.[emoji38]

Matt Targett has a pretty good overall injury history but that all came to and end last season when he missed 61 days/12 games starting in late December. His return from injury wasn't until March and by that time Burn had established himself as a competent lb who was part of the best defense in EPL, and we know that Eddie Howe likes to ease players (back) into the starting lineup.  With that being said, conclusions that Targett is now "rubbish" are premature.  Ideally, Burn is a backup lcb and lb and not a starting lb.  I guess one question is do you feel better with Targett/Burn at lb or Miggy/Murphy at rw? Our defense was pretty stout all year long; our scoring had some ups and downs.   

13 minutes ago, Zero said:

You're just making stuff as you go along here, there was only one game in the last 6 months where he came on as sub with 15mins+ left on the clock. That was in a game we were walloped 3-zip and the game was well and truly gone by the time he came on. Naturally, it goes without saying that everyone was crap that day.

9 minutes ago, SteV said:

Since his injury Targett played 10+ mins three times.

It's mental behaviour, in all honesty.

I can deal with someone saying that Targett is a steady Eddie type but "rubbish". [emoji38]

Half the reason we haven't signed a left back is because we are struggling to find some significantly better than him. 

I’d try and move Targett on simply because his wage is ridiculous in relation to what he offers. That said, he’s not going anywhere because of that. 

On a separate note, the money the Saudi clubs are throwing around is going to make every deal we make in every aspect of the club to be called cheat. Wonder if Staveley knew what was coming.

Honestly man, what is the matter with people this summer? Some of the things people are spouting are completely skewed. We’ve not had two years since the takeover. 

Think it's worth reminding each other that we're only halfway through the 4th transfer window since the takeover. Comparing the squad as it looks today to how it looked in Oct '21 shows how far we've come and how much has been invested. Turning that squad into one with good cover in every position that can cope in 4 competitions and withstand injury crises isn't going to happen in 4 windows. This is a long term thing and expecting every hole in the squad to be plugged with the quality we all want will take another 4 or 5 years realistically. I can sense a growing amount of entitlement and impatience amongst the fan base on socials etc. Bit shit tbh, just enjoy it and be patient, it'll happen

*directed at no-one in particular*

We really needed to finish 6th or 7th last season (from an expectations point of view). If we can spend the next three seasons challenging the top 6 we’ll push on from there. On the flip side, I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT TO SEE US IN THE CL AGAIN. Bring it on.

13 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Honestly man, what is the matter with people this summer? Some of the things people are spouting are completely skewed. We’ve not had two years since the takeover. 

Really worries me how people will be acting if our season goes something like:

• 6th-8th in the league
  • Out of Europe in December (or maybe knocked out of the Europa League in Feb.)
  • No significant cup run

That's an entirely realistic scenario and could still be plenty enjoyable. It would be disappointing after this past season, but I think it would be viewed as a sky-is-falling outcome by many.

47 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Remember when Callum Wilson was finished? Then scored loads of goals?

To be fair, much to my embarrassment - I was one also saying he was finished.

14 minutes ago, midds said:

Think it's worth reminding each other that we're only halfway through the 4th transfer window since the takeover. Comparing the squad as it looks today to how it looked in Oct '21 shows how far we've come and how much has been invested. Turning that squad into one with good cover in every position that can cope in 4 competitions and withstand injury crises isn't going to happen in 4 windows. This is a long term thing and expecting every hole in the squad to be plugged with the quality we all want will take another 4 or 5 years realistically. I can sense a growing amount of entitlement and impatience amongst the fan base on socials etc. Bit shit tbh, just enjoy it and be patient, it'll happen

*directed at no-one in particular*

while that’s all important to remember, it’s encouraging to hear the gaffer talking about wanting to fill those positions now so that we have that strength in depth towards up-and coming games. 
in terms of future success, the foundations are being laid now signing players in their early 20s already with huge quality along with investing into the academy. 
it’s all exciting stuff and we do just have to enjoy the ride. At the same time, armchair moaners will always find some negative narrative to whinge about.