NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

38 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

If Longstaff had a bit more composure with his finishing he'd be a 50m+ player. Swear he seems to have 2 or 3 nailed on chances every game. Great at making that late run into the box, or hanging back for a chance on the edge of the area. Hardly ever converts them. 

This argument could be made for quite a few of our players, which just highlights the need for upgrades. Add another effective attribute to those players and they'd be quality Eg. If Almiron had a right foot and better decision making, if Joelinton could connect with the ball when shooting, if Longstaff could finish, if Willock had more composure in the box, If Murphy had better decision making, if Burn had pace.

Coaching can only do so much to improve players, but ultimately we need better players to start with

12 hours ago, LFEE said:

That was last season playing one game a week with the front 6 being our best defenders. Analytics teams have had summer to pick holes and squad depth in tatters short term. Not saying we can’t play the same way half the season but it is wise to have a plan B other than just plan A with fresh subs for certain games as even Liverpool/Dortmund found out you can only do the crazy pressing for so long before players start fading when fixtures increase. Mind you we have 5 subs these days and bigger benches so maybe it will be.

Think you could argue it both ways. Currently we are 433 but playing one as a DM to me would make it 4123 so the personnel does change the system.

I think you are getting carried away. It’s a tweak for certain games not ripping up philosophies.

Not a fan of KP and DM’s and have always argued that EH prefers midfielders that can do a bit of everything so we shall see what happens.

Even with Tonali back next season I still worry about our lack of pace/athleticism in midfield regardless of system tweaks/changes. KP short or long term doesn’t solve that problem either so you’d think a positional tweak for certain games might be in EH’s short term thinking 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Wouldn’t surprise me we find out Willlock misses most of the season. Tonali misses start of next season. Bruno/Joelinton/Longstaff all playing like they are carrying knocks going down regularly. Some interesting and tough decisions to be made this window.

As you say, having an actual DM does change the system fundamentally. But I don't know if that is the aim.

Tonali is meant to be athletic. Hard, powerful running. I think the idea was 2 athletes (Joelinton, Willock, Tonali, Longstaff) + Bruno. You have 4 of them so you can rotate them.

IMO at the highest level you need 2 or 3 players that can really put their foot on the ball. Again, I think Tonali was meant to be one of them but you need a bit more than just him and Bruno. It doesn't have to come from CM though. A Palmer type can bring it.

Just at the end of the summer transfer window I thought we needed another right wing option. And now that Murphy is basically a woody doll with his gammy shoulder. I thought a cover option on a free to help us get to the end of the season el ghazi is a free aswell. 

12 minutes ago, andycap said:

Would anyone take lingaard on loan until end of season can play on either wing? He's a free

On loan from who?

19 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

This argument could be made for quite a few of our players, which just highlights the need for upgrades. Add another effective attribute to those players and they'd be quality Eg. If Almiron had a right foot and better decision making, if Joelinton could connect with the ball when shooting, if Longstaff could finish, if Willock had more composure in the box, If Murphy had better decision making, if Burn had pace.

Coaching can only do so much to improve players, but ultimately we need better players to start with

Players can definitely improve. But take Longstaff - it's not just composure he lacks. It's a technique, body positioning, agility, slow feet.

You take Isak - he can quickly shift his feet and smack the ball cleanly with power where he wants. His first goal - yes it's super composed but it's the high-level technical execution that makes it composed. 

5 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

The Athletic speculatively linking us to Henderson this morning. 

That isn't happening is it. He's a born and bred unwashed 

16 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

The Athletic speculatively linking us to Henderson this morning. 

Yikes, what a massive oversight there would be from the club, a washed up Mackem. 

Have to say, Henderson being a boyhood Sunderland fan hardly disqualifies him from playing for us.  The biggest stand at SJP is named after a Sunderland fan who played in B&W.  Then there’s Venison, Waddle, Howey, Robson, etc etc.

I wouldn’t be adverse to him coming in for six months. 

The Sunderland thing wouldn't bother me (can't remember him acting the tit like Pickford when we play them for instance), it's the whether he could still perform at this level anymore that would concern me.

Bracewell and Venison is a good comparison tbh. Made their way at Sunderland, went to a Liverpool club to fulfil their potential...if he's got 5 months in him I'd go for it. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Have to say, Henderson being a boyhood Sunderland fan hardly disqualifies him from playing for us.  The biggest stand at SJP is named after a Sunderland fan who played in B&W.  Then there’s Venison, Waddle, Howey, Robson, etc etc.

It would be a PR disaster for the Saudis never mind his mackem roots. I hope to god that's just lazy journalism, I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He was past it for the last year at Liverpool, 6 months on holiday in Saudi and he’s begging to come back? No thanks avoid like the plague. Adds absolutely nothing to us. 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I'd rather chew on my own testicles for six months than see that wanker in a Newcastle kit. That's based on his Liverpool years, not Sunderland.

Just now, Shearergol said:

I'd rather chew on my own testicles for six months than see that wanker in a Newcastle kit. That's based on his Liverpool years, not Sunderland.

That too.

Just now, TRon said:

It would be a PR disaster for the Saudis never mind his mackem roots. I hope to god that's just lazy journalism, I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club.

Just now, r0cafella said:

He was past it for the last year at Liverpool, 6 months on holiday in Saudi and he’s begging to come back? No thanks avoid like the plague. Adds absolutely nothing to us. 

It’s fair enough if you don’t think he’s got owt to offer football-wise.  I think we need reinforcements in midfield and if Howe wanted to bring him in I’m ok with that tbh. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Can’t find anything online about Milburn being a boyhood Sunderland fan. Another mackem urban myth?