NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, black_n_white said:

Mad that the transfer window is open and barely any club can sign neebody

What it needs is a well run club with rich owners and  deep pockets to start buying players...

Then who knows the club who sold the player would either be able to balance their books or be able to spend money and buy a replacement.

Radical idea but we could even call it a transfer window and everyone could join in.

I do think Sky will start to get restless if there are further Jan windows like this. Viewing figures/general engagement will be way down. 

Between commercial partners, and FFP starting to bite even for top 6 sides (Man U and Chelsea both apparently limited this window) I can see a re-jig of the rules in the next couple years. I mean, even just adjusting the losses allowed to account for inflation would be a start. It hasn't changed since it was implemented.

3 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I do think Sky will start to get restless if there are further Jan windows like this. Viewing figures/general engagement will be way down. 

Between commercial partners, and FFP starting to bite even for top 6 sides (Man U and Chelsea both apparently limited this window) I can see a re-jig of the rules in the next couple years. I mean, even just adjusting the losses allowed to account for inflation would be a start. It hasn't changed since it was implemented.

TL;DR Scrap FFP. 

2 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I think the limit should also be reviewed each year based on the most recent window.

Chelsea, Arsenal and City spending £100 million plus on a single player massively inflated the transfer window.

As much as I dislike them, even Liverpool were priced out of bidding war with Chelsea for Caicedo because of the fee arsenal paid for Rice.

And to be fair he never looked a 100 million player before or after they signed him

I personally feel like clubs should be allowed to go over the allowed loss limit, with the proviso that however far past it they go, they have to put that same amount of money aside. The club only getting access to it either when the club changes ownership, or after a set period of time. 

Essentially you can go say 20m over the limit, but you have to then put a further 20m aside. If FFP were really about ensuring clubs can't spend beyond their means or get left high and dry then that covers it. Obviously we all know what FFP is actually about.

1 hour ago, sushimonster85 said:

I personally feel like clubs should be allowed to go over the allowed loss limit, with the proviso that however far past it they go, they have to put that same amount of money aside. The club only getting access to it either when the club changes ownership, or after a set period of time. 

Essentially you can go say 20m over the limit, but you have to then put a further 20m aside. If FFP were really about ensuring clubs can't spend beyond their means or get left high and dry then that covers it. Obviously we all know what FFP is actually about.

I think it's as simple as creating hardship exceptions for injuries/suspensions. If a player is injured and out for the season or suspended for being a gambling addict and out for the season, that player's wages should not count towards your FFP cap.

I am assuming no club will ever have enough injuries that spending into these exceptions would endanger their long-term financial health. Although if we didn't have loaded owners, us this season may have been at risk of doing so.

I like Kalvin Phillips and think he'd be a good stopgap but if City are genuinely asking for £7 million loan fee plus an obligation to buy for £30-40 million then that is an absolute piss take tbf and we should stay well clear. He's been a total flop for them, had injuries, and is now approaching 29 in the summer. They'd be making a profit FFS at that valuation - which is absurd particularly in the current market vacuum created by FFP.

He's a career reconstruction job and any club that takes him off their hands is doing them a favour. A small loan fee with a reasonable fixed buy option in the summer would be more than fair.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

I like Kalvin Phillips and think he'd be a good stopgap but if City are genuinely asking for £7 million loan fee plus an obligation to buy for £30-40 million then that is an absolute piss take tbf and we should stay well clear. He's been a total flop for them, had injuries, and is now approaching 29 in the summer. They'd be making a profit FFS at that valuation - which is absurd particularly in the current market vacuum created by FFP.

He's a career reconstruction job and any club that takes him off their hands is doing them a favour. A small loan fee with a reasonable fixed buy option in the summer would be more than fair.

Yeah agree with this.

Anything over a £3m loan fee with a c£25m option and it’s seeya later.

7 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I want him here and I think he'd be good, but I agree. Really wouldn't like the idea of having £60-70m of 2024/25 transfer fees committed to Hall and Phillips.

22 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Given his salary (assuming no man city pay off)you’re probably looking at 10-15 max tbh, and I like him.

4 hours ago, sushimonster85 said:

Aye, don't think I've seen them spam my screen about transfers on SSN too many times this January. Fuck all to report about.

I do wonder if Ashworths success at Brighton was due to them being a plucky underdog and flying under the radar.

Our squad could really do with some lower prices gambles but does our perceived riches make that harder to negotiate bargains.

Even another of own Perez or Schar would be great right now...

4 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

I do wonder if Ashworths success at Brighton was due to them being a plucky underdog and flying under the radar.

Our squad could really do with some lower prices gambles but does our perceived riches make that harder to negotiate bargains.

The scouting at Brighton was more down to the owners scouting models than Ashworth. Ashworth appears to be more of an administrator than some form of Uber talent scout. 

1 hour ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Highly thought of at the FA.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/11509145/dan-ashworths-huge-role-in-englands-transformation-explained

I really don’t think we will buy anyone this window.

FFP is hitting a lot of clubs hard and with the examples of Everton and Forrest I think the window will be the lowest spending window in recent history.

Transfer fees have gone mental. 7m loan signing fee and 40m for Phillips is ridiculous for a player who is 29 and hardly kicked a ball in 2 years.

I wish we would be looking at Konstantelias from PAOK. He really impressed me in the Europa Conference matches I saw this year. The asking price is around 20M Euros and allegedly Brighton is already sniffing around

28 minutes ago, S Norman said:

I wish we would be looking at Konstantelias from PAOK. He really impressed me in the Europa Conference matches I saw this year. The asking price is around 20M Euros and allegedly Brighton is already sniffing around

Guessing you havent read any other thread in weeks?