NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

All gone very quiet. Does sound like of there are no major incomings or first team outgoings then the summer window is going to be absolutely wild 

Im convinced this is the right way to go and glad we haven’t made any short term signings. We do still remain however a Bruno injury away from a potentially horrible second half of the season.

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Im convinced this is the right way to go and glad we haven’t made any short term signings. We do still remain however a Bruno injury away from a potentially horrible second half of the season.

That was always the biggest concern, we are down to our bare bones in midfield, I did think we would do whatever it took to get someone in. If Bruno is out through suspension or injury I could see it having an adverse affect on Longstaff as well as he would be under pressure to step up.

6 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

It would be really, really stupid to proceed without an additional midfielder. Whichever way you slice it, we'll need more than Bruno, Longstaff, Miley and an injury-hit Willock.

Preach GIF

If our one signing is Onana I’m going to be absolutely gutted. I don’t normally poo poo potential signings but i think it would be a colossal waste of money and fuck us on FFP

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

If our one signing is Onana I’m going to be absolutely gutted. I don’t normally poo poo potential signings but i think it would be a colossal waste of money and fuck us on FFP

Feel exactly the same

7 minutes ago, gbandit said:

This!!

There seems to be conflicting views on Onana, I'd be happy to leave that up to our recruitment team to make the decision on that, find it hard to believe Howe would approve signing a donkey.As things stand though, no one is coming in, certainly not a players over £30m.

I can see the logic in selling Wilson but we'd then need a CM and a replacement forward, so how much better off are we going to be financially?

My prediction is that no first team players leave during this window and we bring in a CM on loan - someone we haven't been linked to previously that none of us have heard of (except Kaka of course who will provide a detailed breakdown of his strengths & weaknesses)

Spoiler

:bluestar:

Onana is better now than Gordon when we bought him, so you can’t blame Everton for looking at £50 million plus for him.

I think his wages might be a sticking point, I’m not sure what he earns at Everton but it was the reason he didn’t join West Ham.

16 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think Onana is a decent player and we are desperate for a midfielder. That said, there's no way we'll pay that kind of fee for him and certainly not in January, so I wouldn't worry about that. 

He is an okay player. But the problem would be giving 60 million for a 20 million player

It's not worth signing Onana for £60m if we're then going into the next window crying about FFP again. It's not being smart with our money. Most of our best value signings have come from abroad, I don't understand why we're not tapping into the foreign market more. Even Trippier who is British and Prem proven was only good value because he came from Atletico. If he was at a Premiership club he'd have been going for silly money.

Edited by Skeletor

So Ashworth gave that interview last year where he purposefully mentions Saudi loans which caused the league to rush to a vote that in a sense we won (although I don’t think we intend to loan from Saudi). 

The Eales interview was a club media piece released on club YouTube. When he spoke about player trading it wasn’t an offhand comment or a tricky interviewer.

Maybe I’m falling into the ‘playing 4D chess’ trap. But I think it’s been an exercise of a) killing the richest club in the world narrative and help negotiations start in a reasonable place b) smoking out the general level of interest in our players and getting a gauge of market values.

I don’t think the club have planned on selling anyone this window. Perhaps only the Joelinton injury has messed up that somewhat. 

Media have jumped on it with predictable gusto and hyperbole that we absolutely have to sell a Bruno or an Isak etc. If anything it helps us plan better for the summer when there is a likely renegotiation on the PSR limits and more sponsors etc. 

1 minute ago, Skeletor said:

It's not worth signing Onana for £60m if we're then going into the next window crying about FFP again. It's not being smart with our money. Most of our best value signings have come from abroad, I don't understand why we're not tapping into the foreign market more.

Well yeah, this is why we won’t do it.