NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Maybe, but surely we have every reason to trust our owners at the moment. We don't have any kind of track record like Everton, of wasting tons of money on average players. 

4 minutes ago, Kanji said:

There seems nothing professional at all with how this January has gone down. We’re offering up our senior leaders openly in the press, it stinks of panic. I don’t see any grand plan here. 

Aye - this January has been a shitshow.  We have been linked to selling our captain, vice captain, first choice RW and last seasons top scorer. And not directly replacing any of them. It seems we want to fund a CM because we only have 2 fit senior CMs due to injuries and our £55m star signing being suspended. 

I surprised more people don’t realise this is a bit of a shitshow. 

I understand how we’ve got here.  But it’s not part of some master plan, it’s mitigations for a plan that has more or less failed. 

7 minutes ago, Kanji said:

There seems nothing professional at all with how this January has gone down. We’re offering up our senior leaders openly in the press, it stinks of panic. I don’t see any grand plan here. 

I think it has been more to do with the Eales interview that has spurred interest in some of our players and paper talk that has made it sound like we're ready to fling all our players out to the first bidder, gotta fill those columns. I'm pretty sure everyone has a price though and every position has a list of potential replacements, it's professional until it's not professional and they've done nothing rash yet.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

It’s kind of the same thing. 

We might have expected to be in Europe this calendar year.  So that’s a few million missing.  

We most definitely targeted finishing in Europe this season. Not doing so will cost several millions. 

We also thought we had a squad that could last the season. With Joelinton and  Tonali out for the season and Willock injured pretty much all season.  We are in desperate need for reinforcement. So now there’s a need to generate PSR headroom. 

If not for PSR, we would only strengthen.  PSR is the reason we have to ‘trade’ valuable assets. 

Irrespective of PSR, we'd be trying to move these players on. Obviously, maybe not quite in this manner but in the bigger picture the situation is not that different in terms of developing the team. 

From a commercial point of view do you spend over the odds on a player(s), that are possibly not your first choice, to get into Europe where the income  is nowhere near the Champions League and therefore the additional income is cancelled out by the investment in that player(s) to get you there? 

I read a throw away line in the Athletic where someone in the club said the season died as soon as Tonali was banned. I get the impression that there's a ring of resignation that this season is a write-off due to injuries and that we've reached the end of the first stage of the team's development. All about setting the club up for the summer and next season now. 

Do these players not have agents?  Why would it be just the club hawking them about in the press?  The player and their reps may well have been briefed about them possibly being moved on in the summer, regardless.  Now with all the FFP shit, the way the season has gone and all the injuries, with us desperately needing a midfielder.  It might have been mutually agreed between all parties that offers would be listened to in Jan or that they/we can sound out potential suitors.   

Oh and there is also the fact that so many in the media know fuck all when it comes to NUFC.  Quite a lot of this has been one loose rumour.  That 4-5 other journos have then run with, adding fuck all new to the story.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye - this January has been a shitshow.  We have been linked to selling our captain, vice captain, first choice RW and last seasons top scorer. And not directly replacing any of them. It seems we want to fund a CM because we only have 2 fit senior CMs due to injuries and our £55m star signing being suspended. 

I understand how we’ve got here.  But it’s not part of some master plan, it’s mitigations for a plan that has more or less failed. 

We can’t fully control who the press links here and away.

Selling Wilson to bring in a striker/attacker makes sense this window. But it would feel pretty catastrophic if we only sell him and don't bring anyone in this window

This January has been a "shitshow". :lol:

We've not sold anyone or bought anyone but a "shitshow". :lol:

Perhaps get rid of Twitter or put the phone down? :lol:

Not sure how anything that’s happened is particularly unprofessional like. The Trippier stuff (which is the only deal I had reservations with despite the fact I understood the logic) was leaked from the Bayern side. The rest of it? Well, speculation and rumour is kind of a core part of football transfers. I didn’t think that would be a surprise to people on here but I live to be astonished.

Miggy and Wilson fall into that category of saleable but replaceable. We don’t have many of those. If we need to move them to make some deals then we better get cracking.

Just now, christ said:

Not sure how anything that’s happened is particularly unprofessional like. The Trippier stuff (which is the only deal I had reservations with despite the fact I understood the logic) was leaked from the Bayern side. The rest of it? Well, speculation and rumour is kind of a core part of football transfers. I didn’t think that would be a surprise to people on here but I live to be astonished.

Miggy and Wilson fall into that category of saleable but replaceable. We don’t have many of those. If we need to move them to make some deals then we better get cracking.

It's not unprofessional, at all. It's just drama queen's who've played too much football manager or believe everything they read or hear. 

1 minute ago, STM said:

It seems the media storm in a tea cup narrative that has no substantiation has got a few thinking emotionally and filling in the gaps with their own negative slant. Until something has happened, nothing has happened so how a whole lot of nothing can be judged as a "shitshow" defies logic. See this is what happens when we don't play regularly, roll on Fulham in the FA Cup ffs.

1 hour ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

The exact same thing is happening now as what happened over the last few weeks [emoji38]

Maybe. But inbetween times we’ve had Tripper, Almiron, Wilson and Lascelles with credible outgoing links. The current silence may be the same as the week before this flurry of speculation, but it seems deafening now. 

25 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s kind of the same thing. 

We might have expected to be in Europe this calendar year.  So that’s a few million missing.  

We most definitely targeted finishing in Europe this season. Not doing so will cost several millions. 

We also thought we had a squad that could last the season. With Joelinton and  Tonali out for the season and Willock injured pretty much all season.  We are in desperate need for reinforcement. So now there’s a need to generate PSR headroom. 

If not for PSR, we would only strengthen.  PSR is the reason we have to ‘trade’ valuable assets. 

I'd say the fact we don't need to sell just to be compliant means our planning was pretty appropriate given no Europa League and a much lower league place as of now. Certainly means we didn't push things too far.

I'm not sure how fair it is to critique the club's risk management when it's gone levels beyond any reasonable amount of planning. No one would ever do anything if you had to account for the "we'll spend large chunks of the season without an entire first XI, which will include three of our four best midfielders, our GK, and 70% of our summer transfer spend" scenario.

Edited by timeEd32

Every transfer plan in history would have failed if half of the incomings were almost immediately long-term banned/injured, and elsewhere in the squad there were further double-digit long-term absences.

It's been a freak season, we don't always have to search for someone to blame.

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

And herein lies the problem with football fans thinking social media posts are what's actually happening in the real world

99% of "links" are absolute bollocks made up by shit journos and attention seeking doylems chasing clicks n' giggles

Don't believe the hype

Edited by bobbydazzla

3 minutes ago, STM said:

Every transfer window on here has had no small collection of doyles moaning about how much of a disaster it was. We’re not far off the one year anniversary of us ruining our CL qualification hopes by not signing Sander Berge.

The thing that makes me certain Tonali and Barnes will be absolutely transformational signings when we get them on the pitch is because HottigersBogBrush thinks the summer window was terrible.

Guest reefatoon

[emoji38] Such a cesspit of misery in here at times. Some people seem to make following the club such hard work for themselves. January being a shit show man. [emoji38] Loonies.

15 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

😂

Maybe take a break from the internet mate.

7 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

And herein lies the problem with football fans thinking social media posts are what's actually happening in the real world

99% of "links" are absolute bollocks made up by shit journos and attention seeking doylems chasing clicks n' giggles

Don't believe the hype

IMG_3543.thumb.jpeg.5e6d7952350a426a89ffe22822c13903.jpeg

boyyyzzzz

How can it be called a shitshow? none of us know anything that's going on behind the scenes. It could be all agent driven after the Eales interview, might be best save judgement till the end of the window. If these were Ashley times then its a fair comment as we all know how that ends but these people are sensible and calculated in their approach of things. Keep the faith

29 minutes ago, STM said:

People take these links and media reports far too literally sometimes, it’s a dead window so naturally the bullshit level from the press will be increased. Not everything reported is true, not even half of it.. and anything that is will be exaggerated. 

Some on here ran with this assumption that management had gambled our financial structure on qualifying for Europe and therefore are on course to fail FFP so we had to sell to avoid implications, all because of Bayern trying their luck with Trippier. It’s madness [emoji38]

Edited by Nine

If we sell Wilson we should go for Morgan Rogers at Boro. I've no idea if he's any good but I see Villa are desperate to sign him. They've already copied our homework (someone used this term on here the other week) by getting Emery, Diego Carlos, Diaby and Adidas so lets copy off them.

14 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Don't believe the hype

Our first choice RB And RW have had confirmed bids. I don’t think either have been unsolicited. 

It’s looking likely that we need to buy a CM if we want to continue to try and achieve something this season. And to do that we need to sell.  

Spending the entire seasons transfer budget in the summer was perhaps unwise but it is understandable. And for various reasons we have had a what 15% (of total transfer cost) success rate in summer signings so far.  So I can understand and forgive how we’ve got here.  

So now we are in a bit of a pickle.  We can make it work. But we haven’t got here by design, it’s not part of a master plan.  The plan has gone wrong.