NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

I know loans are dead money in terms of FFP, but if you kept say £4-5m a year held back for that I can't see it as a bad thing?

Someone like Lenglet is a perfect example, his loan fee at Spurs was just over £4m, I'm guessing Villa are paying the same. An average squad player these days costs £20-25m. One year that £4m might bring in a solid back up CB, the following summer you buy a first-choice CB so you can use that £4m next season to cover midfield, a winger, etc, getting more out of £16-20m over 4-5 seasons filling multiple roles rather than an average £16-20m player for one position who wouldn't be good enough.

14 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Lloyd Kelly and Philip Billing on free transfers would add some decent squad depth tbh. Adding Tosin as well would be a great haul. Toney on top of that, followed by an elite RW whilst shipping Miggy, Longstaff and Wilson from the first team and you're laughing.

Are we after Toney?

Tyneside bookies would have a field day with Trippier, Tonali and Toney knocking about

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Are we after Toney?

Tyneside bookies would have a field day with Trippier, Tonali and Toney knocking about

No way we’re spending ~£100m on a central striker unless Isak gets sold.

Toney is in the final year of his contract and Brentford have basically admitted they are selling him.

He won't be coming here though. Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal 100%.

7 minutes ago, STM said:

Toney is in the final year of his contract and Brentford have basically admitted they are selling him.

He won't be coming here though. Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal 100%.

Think he’ll be either Kane’s replacement or be Arsenal’s attempt to get the missing cog they haven’t succeeded in buying in Gabriel Jesus and Havertz.

When the takeover finally happened I was on cloud nine hoping we might just be able to sign the likes of Lloyd Kelly, Phil Billing and Ivan Toney.  It's what dreams are made of.

Edited by loki679

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I know loans are dead money in terms of FFP, but if you kept say £4-5m a year held back for that I can't see it as a bad thing?

Someone like Lenglet is a perfect example, his loan fee at Spurs was just over £4m, I'm guessing Villa are paying the same. An average squad player these days costs £20-25m. One year that £4m might bring in a solid back up CB, the following summer you buy a first-choice CB so you can use that £4m next season to cover midfield, a winger, etc, getting more out of £16-20m over 4-5 seasons filling multiple roles rather than an average £16-20m player for one position who wouldn't be good enough.

we’ve got a manager who is averse to playing people until they are fully acclimatised, so you miss the best part of quarter of a season. Most loans happen late in the window so you lose the pre season build as well which we know Howe values

1 hour ago, Nucasol said:

Think he’ll be either Kane’s replacement or be Arsenal’s attempt to get the missing cog they haven’t succeeded in buying in Gabriel Jesus 

Almost certainly Arsenal I reckon. He seems the type to like London and thinks anywhere north of Watford is in the wilds. Can't see him going abroad at all

1 hour ago, gjohnson said:

Almost certainly Arsenal I reckon. He seems the type to like London and thinks anywhere north of Watford is in the wilds. Can't see him going abroad at all

Not sure if you remember him signing for us from Northampton with a few northern loans [emoji38]

2 hours ago, loki679 said:

When the takeover finally happened I was on cloud nine hoping we might just be able to sign the likes of Lloyd Kelly, Phil Billing and Ivan Toney.  It's what dreams are made of.

We're not going to get anywhere with this mindset. 

I remember Man City signing Ake from Bournemouth without too much fuss, another left back/left centre back Howe signed while he was there, from Chelsea. Now look at the impact he has had at Man City.

How about Akanji from Dortmund, who they signed for £15 million or so, again without much fuss, and deemed a pretty solid centre back at the time, but no world beater necessarily. Look at him now though.

Every signing can't be a blockbuster name man. I don't know why this would be the expectation for every signing.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I remember Man City signing Ake from Bournemouth without too much fuss, another left back/left centre back Howe signed while he was there, from Chelsea. Now look at the impact he has had at Man City.

How about Akanji from Dortmund, who they signed for £15 million or so, again without much fuss, and deemed a pretty solid centre back at the time, but no world beater necessarily. Look at him now though.

Every signing can't be a blockbuster name man. I don't know why this would be the expectation for every signing.

Yep - I was clearly wrong about both Ake and Akanji - just shows what good coaching can do also 

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Nathan Ake was a genuine wonderkid and a fine player. He keeps Sven Botman out the national team and has racked up £61m in transfer fees. I think he's a better player than Sven tbh.

It's not the same as Lloyd Kelly or Phillip Billing.

I'm not against any of those transfers btw. I have no feelings on Kelly, Billing has always looked like a good player to me and Toney is a great player (and he won't be coming back here). But it's not comparable to Nathan Ake.

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Nathan Ake was a genuine wonderkid and a fine player. He keeps Sven Botman out the national team and has racked up £61m in transfer fees. I think he's a better player than Sven tbh.

It's not the same as Lloyd Kelly or Phillip Billing.

I'm not against any of those transfers btw. I have no feelings on Kelly, Billing has always looked like a good player to me and Toney is a great player (and he won't be coming back here). But it's not comparable to Nathan Ake.

Ake was at Bournemouth because he had lost his way at Chelsea who were mismanaging him. Even when Man City signed him there was no big clamour for him and it took him a while to settle there. It was looking like he was going to be sold for a while.

Lloyd Kelly has always been very highly rated since his Bristol City days. Could easily see him moving to a better club and reaching much higher levels.

The freebies I was thinking about for my post were actually Kelly and Adarabioyo.

Tosin again, was a big talent at Man City that left because there were just too many ahead of him.

If we can sign Kelly and Tosin on frees we are absolutely laughing.

Edited by KaKa

I don’t think Billing gets in over any of our midfielders when all are fit. I don’t think he’s much of an upgrade to Longstaff and any minutes he gets would hamper Miley/Anderson. Total waste of time transfer. 

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Ake was at Bournemouth because he had lost his way at Chelsea who were mismanaging him. Even when Man City signed him there was no big clamour for him and it took him a while to settle there. It was looking like he was going to be sold for a while.

Lloyd Kelly has always been very highly rated since his Bristol City days. Could easily see him moving to a better club and reaching much higher levels.

The freebies I was thinking about for my post were actually Kelly and Adarabioyo.

Tosin again, was a big talent at Man City that left because there were just too many ahead of him.

If we can sign Kelly and Tosin on frees we are absolutely laughing.

He went to Bournemouth for £20m in 2017. He's always been a highly-rated player. He's rated higher than Botman to this day. He was a wonderkid at Chelsea. The fact he went to City after relegation says it all about his reputation—a good £40m to boot.

His pedigree is higher than any of the Bournemouth players you've mentioned. A lot higher. Ake went for x10 more money from Chelsea to Bournemouth as Tosin to Fulham. It's a different level of prospect.

I'm not against any of those transfers again. The one I've watched the most I like and don't have strong opinions on the others. But comparing it to £40m Nathan Ake or keeps our star CB on the bench for the NT doesn't make sense to me. 

1 minute ago, St1pe said:

I don’t think Billing gets in over any of our midfielders when all are fit. I don’t think he’s much of an upgrade to Longstaff and any minutes he gets would hamper Miley/Anderson. Total waste of time transfer. 

I think he looks better than Longstaff but I don't pay loads of attention to him or Bournemouth but he seems a danger man and athletic.

I think we need to move away from that style a little. Just to switch things up tactically. But we seem to be linked to the same type of hard running CM rather than passers. So tripling down on Howeball it is.

16 hours ago, Ikon said:

Personally I don’t see a club paying 40m+ for Joelinton. Lesser clubs probably can’t afford it, not much resale value for them either, or the opportunity to sell on for more. Top clubs will want players that are better on the ball when it comes to passing. Love Joe though. It also would be idiotic to keep him and let him leave on a free.

I agree, but, consider situations where let's say West Ham sell Paqueta for 90m to City, I could easily see them buying a player like Joelinton for 40m 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

He went to Bournemouth for £20m in 2017. He's always been a highly-rated player. He's rated higher than Botman to this day. He was a wonderkid at Chelsea. The fact he went to City after relegation says it all about his reputation—a good £40m to boot.

His pedigree is higher than any of the Bournemouth players you've mentioned. A lot higher. Ake went for x10 more money from Chelsea to Bournemouth as Tosin to Fulham. It's a different level of prospect.

I'm not against any of those transfers again. The one I've watched the most I like and don't have strong opinions on the others. But comparing it to £40m Nathan Ake or keeps our star CB on the bench for the NT doesn't make sense to me. 

The point was that not every signing we make has to be a blockbuster signing.

Man City signing Ake was not a major or big signing for them for where they were at the time. Even they make shrewd signings in the market. Similar to Akanji or even Alvarez.

Not sure why this is difficult to understand?

For our current standing, Kelly and Tosin might not be flashy names, but they are really good players that I think would  outperform expectations.

I don't know if any of them are "really good players". 1 of them can't even stay it. None of them have excellent reputations in the game in comparison to a Nathan Ake.

I think we need a top CB/LB. A Nathan Ake would actually be perfect for us especially if Howe wants to stick to the same profile as Burn.

If we sell multiple squad players - bringing in cheap squad players is a good idea.

16 minutes ago, St1pe said:

I think the issue is that potentially one or both of Bruno and Joelinton could be on their way in the summer.

If nobody goes we are actually pretty well stocked at CM and it would take a special player to justify the outlay.