NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

5 minutes ago, TRC said:

I know Billing is not as good as Joelinton, but I do think a Billing, Bruno, Tonali midfield is a bit more technical and balanced. Make a profit on Joelinton and spend the profit on a young striker.

No thanks

Livramento was almost certainly bought with the long-term goal of being Trippier's replacement. He also signed following a lengthy and serious injury lay-off.  He may well have already played more minutes than anticipated this season.

Personally, I'd prefer him at left back to Burn, but I can see the counterargument. Burn is naturally left footed, he tucks into a back three in possession and he gives us added protection from set pieces. Howe has obviously decided it offsets his lack of pace, which is being exposed with an inexperienced midfielder in front of him.

Howe has shown plenty of willingness to rotate, but for better or worse it's clear he doesn't like changing a settled back four, he also values a certain amount of height in the team. But I think the favouritism argument is overused, as is the idea that Dan Burn is a terrible footballer. We've gone full circle on him being overrated to being a regular scapegoat, when in fact he's always just been really average.

Edited by The Prophet

8 minutes ago, Mikky said:

No thanks

Yeah tbf I'd rather play Willock than Billing. A Willock, Bruno, Tonali mid could be nice.

Really it has to be Miggy that we have to be moved on, hes the odd man out

28 minutes ago, TRC said:

I know Billing is not as good as Joelinton, but I do think a Billing, Bruno, Tonali midfield is a bit more technical and balanced. Make a profit on Joelinton and spend the profit on a young striker.

You think Billing is more technical than Joelinton?

13 minutes ago, TRC said:

Yeah tbf I'd rather play Willock than Billing. A Willock, Bruno, Tonali mid could be nice.

Really it has to be Miggy that we have to be moved on, hes the odd man out

Miggy and Wilson for sure 

I’d even sell Longstaff if it’s means bringing in a 6 - we have to have a 6 just to give us a different look

55 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Apart from that it doesn't exactly improve our 1st team. Depth? Yes. Don't see the point of signing players that don't improve our starting 11 properly. Quality is vital imo, and then let some of the current players become backup/squad players.

Not sure how much it'd cost to upgrade those three, though? £60-70m? 

Unless we sell Joelinton I don't see us having the money to do that. 

29 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Not sure how much it'd cost to upgrade those three, though? £60-70m? 

Unless we sell Joelinton I don't see us having the money to do that. 

Whatever we do go for I hope it’s quality before quantity. Main priority for me is to strengthen the weaker links in the team. Players that make a real difference to the starting eleven. IF we have the luxury of adding some top top young talent for the squad then that would be amazing. I don’t see the point in spending money on players that is more of a sidestep. Either go for genuine quality players or young players with massive potential that don’t cost a bomb quite yet. A free signing or two of good quality might help us to be able to afford a couple of top quality ones. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I think any interest in Billing was strictly due to our situation in January. I’d be amazed if we are in for him in the summer, unless we still have nothing to spend.

Most likely aye. At least I hope so. 

26 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Whatever we do go for I hope it’s quality before quantity. Main priority for me is to strengthen the weaker links in the team. Players that make a real difference to the starting eleven. IF we have the luxury of adding some top top young talent for the squad then that would be amazing. I don’t see the point in spending money on players that is more of a sidestep. Either go for genuine quality players or young players with massive potential that don’t cost a bomb quite yet. A free signing or two of good quality might help us to be able to afford a couple of top quality ones. 

I think either of those would be a big upgrade on 4th choice so it's still a big upgrade for us. If we're playing Onana or Billing instead of Longstaff when one of the first choice are out, that's huge for us. If we'd had one of those the last 2 months I'm guessing we'd be a lot closer to top 5.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I think either of those would be a big upgrade on 4th choice so it's still a big upgrade for us. If we're playing Onana or Billing instead of Longstaff when one of the first choice are out, that's huge for us. If we'd had one of those the last 2 months I'm guessing we'd be a lot closer to top 5.

Aye it would make us better overall. I just think that the money is better used on players that can elevate us a few steps and not just improving the quality in depth. Signing a real quality player will both improve our “main 11” and allow us to challenge the top teams even better, especially away. It will also automatically improve the depth/backups at the same time. Only have to look at what a difference the likes of Bruno, Botman and Isak makes when they are at their best. Then imagine more of these instead of players that only improve depth. 

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Howe has shown plenty of willingness to rotate, but for better or worse it's clear he doesn't like changing a settled back four

Just like nearly every single manager in history.

Clearly needs to be a realism to any summer business and can see merits in Kelly providing he’s not a perma crock.

Really think we need a couple of game changing additions though to raise the level of quality in first 11, particularly in CM and wide right.

I would sacrifice Joelinton if it makes financial sense, on the basis that his game is all about physicality and once that goes not sure he has much left to offer, technically he looked well short in some of the CL games.

From the small glimpses of Tonali I think he can replace Joelintons physical presence on left side and play Bruno to the right, use the funds to get a top drawer technical midfielder to play at the base.

Edited by Whitley mag

41 minutes ago, Disco said:

Just like nearly every single manager in history.

Murphy-Schar-Lascelles-Fede-Lewis

Murphy-Schar-Lascelles-Fede-Lewis 

Manquillo-Fede-Lascelles-Clark-Lewis

Manquillo-Fede-Clark-Lewis

Krafth-Hayden-Clark-Lewis

Murphy-Fede-Clark-Lewis

Yedlin-Fede-Clark-Dummett

Yedlin-Hayden-Clark-Lewis

Yedlin-Schar-Fede-Clark-Ritchie

Yedlin-Schar-Fede-Clark-Ritchie

Spoiler

skysports-steve-bruce-gary-neville_55510

1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

Clearly needs to be a realism to any summer business and can see merits in Kelly providing he’s not a perma crock.

Really think we need a couple of game changing additions though to raise the level of quality in first 11, particularly in CM and wide right.

I would sacrifice Joelinton if it makes financial sense, on the basis that his game is all about physicality and once that goes not sure he has much left to offer, technically he looked well short in some of the CL games.

From the small glimpses of Tonali I think he can replace Joelintons physical presence on left side and play Bruno to the right, use the funds to get a top drawer technical midfielder to play at the base.

Tonali can replace Joelinton’s physical presence? Not sure I saw any evidence of that even though I rate Tonali and think he will be great for us 

“Liverpool and Chelsea appear to have been handed a boost in their pursuits of Newcastle playmaker Bruno Guimaraes, according to a Daily Express report. 

The Brazil international had been linked with a move away from the Magpies in the January window, with Newcastle supposedly already scouting for possible replacements.”

Imagine him going to Chelsea or Liverpool, can’t be dealing with that. I’d insist he goes abroad if we have to sell or do we not get a choice just first to meet his release clause?

Edited by Newintoon

29 minutes ago, Newintoon said:

“Liverpool and Chelsea appear to have been handed a boost in their pursuits of Newcastle playmaker Bruno Guimaraes, according to a Daily Express report. 

The Brazil international had been linked with a move away from the Magpies in the January window, with Newcastle supposedly already scouting for possible replacements.”

Imagine him going to Chelsea or Liverpool, can’t be dealing with that. I’d insist he goes abroad if we have to sell or do we not get a choice just first to meet his release clause?

Sure it's false, but Imagine Chelsea spunking literally £350m on 3 centre mids 😂

Surely if we are after Billing as a cheap  option, then surely we'd be expecting to lose 1 or 2 of our current mids? We have 7 centre mids when not injured / suspended 

You'd think this would be the Longstaff or Andersons of the world, or Joelinton if we don't get his contract sorted? 

Just can't see Billing being the answer to how we want to progress as a team, unless he is replacing someone we sell for a FPP boost 

I can't stress this enough.... because it seems some are hopeful of it happening.... we won't be selling Longstaff under virtually any scenario. [emoji38]

If you believe that Longstaff will be sold, you possibly haven't been paying attention to what Howe is trying to do. He's part of the furniture man. 😂

In all seriousness, I'm fine with Longstaff staying, provided we have (at least) 3 players ahead of him the pecking order.