NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We would easily get at least 10 million for Anderson imo, and I’m not his biggest fan.

Id say none of the ones you mentioned would class as a premium fee other than Dan James. Maybe we just have different definitions of what premium is.

I doubt it. I'm not confident he gets a PL move either. Maybe a promoted team.

You think Everton or Palace would play £10m for him?

I think a lot of our fans undervalue our players aswell. If joelinton was at say West ham or Brighton it would cost you a fortune to buy him from them. But because he's at our club 30 million. 

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We would easily get at least 10 million for Anderson imo, and I’m not his biggest fan.

Id say none of the ones you mentioned would class as a premium fee other than Dan James. Maybe we just have different definitions of what premium is.

If they played for midtable club - would the fee be the same? 

I think it is an interesting observation that some clubs seem to get pretty good fees for their players. Chelsea for example. If Mount was a NUFC player I think it unlikely we could have got £60m for him in the last year of his contract. Pure speculation, of course. Still, it is an interesting debate. I wonder if there is some data about how well certain academy graduates perform over others (if sold on) that could justify any price difference (if real rather than perceived).

Fow whatever reason, fans tend to wildly undervalue players, Cameron Archer went to Sheff United for £20m, and he has 0 Premier League experience.

Alex Scott to Bournemouth for £20m

Iwobi to Fulham for £25m

Chris Wood to Forest for £17m

Etc.

I get the feeling that some of those player's values are based more on what we paid for them and less on their actual ability. Then again, I've never been keen on 'market valuation' of players, because a lot of the time it should be down to whatever they're worth to the buying team - if a club is desperate enough and sees that player as a particular piece of their team jigsaw (and they have the money to spend), there's no reason 'market value' should be applied. Of the names listed there, I'd argue that Longstaff, Gordon and possibly Miley should all be priced higher.

The problem is the market has been crazy, being a solid premier league player is now enough to demand tens of millions. It’s not just our fans that think we deserve big transfer fees, it’s everyone, because we’re aware of the money it would take to replace these guys.

This summer is going to be different because of FFP, there will be fewer transfers, rather than lower fees, IMO. Teams will look to hold on to what they’ve got, assuming it will be back to normal the following summer. With regards to Joelinton, our choices will be to sign him up (which I think we will) or let him go for much less than anyone would want. I doubt there will even be money in the market for Bruno if we were interested in selling.

Edited by Kimbo

6 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

I get the feeling that some of those player's values are based more on what we paid for them and less on their actual ability. Then again, I've never been keen on 'market valuation' of players, because a lot of the time it should be down to whatever they're worth to the buying team - if a club is desperate enough and sees that player as a particular piece of their team jigsaw (and they have the money to spend), there's no reason 'market value' should be applied. Of the names listed there, I'd argue that Longstaff, Gordon and possibly Miley should all be priced higher.

Using Joelinton as an example, two years ago on TransferMarkt, he was worth €15m, it's only in the last 18 months his valuation has risen to above what we paid for him:

Screenshot_20240213-122110.png

33 minutes ago, Lotus said:

I think it is an interesting observation that some clubs seem to get pretty good fees for their players. Chelsea for example. If Mount was a NUFC player I think it unlikely we could have got £60m for him in the last year of his contract. Pure speculation, of course. Still, it is an interesting debate. I wonder if there is some data about how well certain academy graduates perform over others (if sold on) that could justify any price difference (if real rather than perceived).

Also playing for a big club increases your chances of getting international recognition. You get some caps and your value increases further still.

I like Mason Mount but if he swapped clubs with James Maddison, it would be Maddison with 40 odd caps and Mount with a handful.

Eddie Nketiah is in the England squad. He doesn't sniff it if he's at Palace. All these things add to their value.

Meanwhile AG has 0 England caps. That will contribute to his undervaluing atm.

And some of the big clubs genuinely do have great academies these days. City & Chelsea in particular.

Edited by The College Dropout

17 minutes ago, 54 said:

Fow whatever reason, fans tend to wildly undervalue players, Cameron Archer went to Sheff United for £20m, and he has 0 Premier League experience.

Alex Scott to Bournemouth for £20m

Iwobi to Fulham for £25m

Chris Wood to Forest for £17m

Etc.

This is true and a good point but he did score 11 goals in 20 in the Champ at 21 - that's impressive. That suggests he should be a top-level Champ striker in the future which is a £20m player easy. 

I don't think the others are good examples though. Iwobi is an example of the big club premium I'm talking about. Alex Scott earned his reputation as a standout player in the Championship and Forest are barmy (with Chris Wood being a proven PL goalscorer).

31 minutes ago, 54 said:

FWIW Transfermarkt who tend to be a somewhat decent gauge at market value, has Anderson valued at €13m. 

Screenshot_20240213-120431.png

I’d say the higher value players are undervalued and the lower value players are overvalued. However, fuck knows what future transfer windows will look like given FFP’s impact on the market 

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Imagine getting that upset about a signing we'll probably never make...

GGOH8Y_WkAA_hQ6.jpeg

In fairness I was that upset over the potential Mctominay signing last summer 😂

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

In fairness I was that upset over the potential Mctominay signing last summer 😂

He would have done a great job for us this season 

he’s a wildly underrated player

15 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Imagine getting that upset about a signing we'll probably never make...

GGOH8Y_WkAA_hQ6.jpeg

Some people just need to live in an actual sim / virtual reality. They’re already there in most ways, just take the leap and finally fuck off from the real world where they can properly act out all their fantasies of things that upset them 

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Don't get me started on Palmer.....

Ok i've started.

Instead of Barnes. We have Barnes & Gordon who prefer to play on the left. Both top 8 quality at worst with Joelinton also an excellent option. Isak too if needed. Then we have Almiron & Murphy for the right. Both well short of the level.

With Gordon & Joe for the left wish Willoc/Isak as back-up and Palmer, Miggy on the right with Murphy as back-up, it's a much better balance.

Likewise, Palmer is a passer and a creator, brilliant in tight spaces. We don't have anyone like that in our attack. He's exactly what we needed. Barnes is not similar to Gordon. Our best team has 1 of our best 2 wingers playing out of position and I'm not even sure that's what Howe considers our best team. 1 might need to sit on the bench.

Truthfully, I don't think Howe wants that style of player. The wingers we get linked too are runners. Howe seems to prefer having the same profile as depth rather than something different.

I suspect we didn’t sign palmer because he’s so one footed.

Time will tell what we do with Barnes and how that pans out but him and Gordon can use both feet, palmer isnt and we didn’t need another Miggy situation.

Edited by lovejoy

Everyone really needs to remember that we are bargain hunting. Some of these players aren't the most exciting, but they'd all be decent additions at the right price. McTominay seemed to be on the outside looking in at Man Utd. He would have been a useful addition for ~£20m. We got quoted something ridiculous and thus didn't buy him.

Everton gets threatened with a second points deduction that would put their PL status in jeopardy = we ask about Onana. Again, at the right price it's a good addition.

Personally think McTominay is much better than Onana. Don’t want either but that’s my take. Hopefully we have some good options lined up who are technically strong on the ball 

McTominay is no better than Longstaff.  Fuck giving Man Utd top dollar for their cast offs.  Same goes for Gallagher at Chelsea, just another nothing, run around a lot midfielder.

I can defo see Longstaff being peddled for that sweet sweet FFP

He is the most dispensable and replaceable as we have both Anderson and Miley to come in. 

That 20m we could get for Longstaff would unlock two big 50m purchases.

Just now, loki679 said:

McTominay is no better than Longstaff.  Fuck giving Man Utd top dollar for their cast offs.  Same goes for Gallagher at Chelsea, just another nothing, run around a lot midfielder.

Agree with this, and it's also the reason why no one has taken the bait yet. Yes he can get goals, he's big and physical, but he's not a particularly skilful player otherwise.