NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Obviously there’s no way we know at this time if we’re interested, but as you identify, the inflated price and overall quality of the player, would make me extremely disappointed in our scouting network. We should be able to identify better players for the sums involved for a deal like that.

Think that's a bit of a glass half empty way to look at it. If it's true, we might've seen something in him which can be built upon/improved, as was the case with Gordon. 

3 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

I quite like him. But I think that ship has sailed. Would have been a decent signing on the cheap or a free. But he signed a new deal, missed some big chances and has now fallen out of favour. Yet would still now cost us quite a bit more. 

If he was the 3rd option to perhaps cover across the front three and we had two strikers ahead of him. Think Isak and Wilson level, but ones that could stay fit. Then I’d be all for it. 

But I’m not sure why he’d trade 3rd or 4th choice at Arsenal to be 3rd choice here. 

For the Wilson level - I don't think that's realistic. A 25-year-old Wilson that can stay fit, isn't happy to sit on the bench.

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Think that's a bit of a glass half empty way to look at it. If it's true, we might've seen something in him which can be built upon/improved, as was the case with Gordon. 

I disagree, I would honestly find it baffling we would target a player like that, particularly as a backup option. The club can’t continue to cite FFP concerns if we’re pursuing players in that inflated wage / fee bracket either.

2 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I disagree, I would honestly find it baffling we would target a player like that, particularly as a backup option. The club can’t continue to cite FFP concerns if we’re pursuing players in that inflated wage / fee bracket either.

Aye. Nketiah is rumoured to earn £80k+ and will cost at least £25m. A lot of money for someone that should spend 70% of their time on the bench.

Low cost (ish) with big potential, could be Karim Konate. That’s the sort of player I’d expect us to target for those positions where we have a clear number 1 ahead like Isak. 

All I know of Toney is what I see on the pitch and in his interviews. Could be wrong, but seems like he would break the clubs "no dickheads" policy.

Nketiah is a good shout, but is he really desperate to move to another club where he's 100% second choice. Would seema bad move for his career. Even if Isak isn't going to play 30 games a season.

Arsenal must be sailing close to the wind in terms of FFP? I know commercially they're in a different league but their spend over the last 4-5 years is ridiculous. Wouldn't want us helping anyone who's trying to keep us down.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Telegraph reporting that Nico Williams has a £43 million release clause in his contract. Linked here previously and currently being linked with Chelsea.

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Telegraph reporting that Nico Williams has a £43 million release clause in his contract. Linked here previously and currently being linked with Chelsea.

This time last year the Athletic reported:

"Nico Williams, the 20-year-old Athletic Bilbao winger, was considered a genuine alternative to Gordon in January and the Spain international has been watched since."

Given we didn't follow up, I wonder if our interest ended when Gordon signed or if he turned us down with the likes of Barca and Real allegedly interested.

25 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

This time last year the Athletic reported:

"Nico Williams, the 20-year-old Athletic Bilbao winger, was considered a genuine alternative to Gordon in January and the Spain international has been watched since."

Given we didn't follow up, I wonder if our interest ended when Gordon signed or if he turned us down with the likes of Barca and Real allegedly interested.

Based on the bits I’ve seen of him, I hope that isn’t the case and we do make a big push for him. Seems a perfect fit for our right hand side.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Arsenal must be sailing close to the wind in terms of FFP? I know commercially they're in a different league but their spend over the last 4-5 years is ridiculous. Wouldn't want us helping anyone who's trying to keep us down.

I thought they had plenty they could spend in January but the owners didn't want to put in the money.  Villa's spend is the most worrying but I don't know when rules apply and don't.  Remember that season they bought every championship striker they could and Bruce still couldn't get them promoted.

35 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Based on the bits I’ve seen of him, I hope that isn’t the case and we do make a big push for him. Seems a perfect fit for our right hand side.

19 of his 23 starts (Football Statistics)were at left midfield and he is right footed. Not sure he would be ideal as a rw.

If we're signing another wide player, they need to be left footed imo. Out of everyone that you wouldn't mind seeing play wide for us, Miggy is the only left footed player. Its all about balance.

16 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Arsenal appear to be fine. They may even be using the standard limit of £15m in losses as it’s not clear if Kroenke has satisfied the requirements to boost to £105m (per latest Swiss Ramble).

Their wages and amortisation costs are growing steadily now but with consecutive CL, higher PL money, etc they are in decent shape.

Id actually prefer a right footed RW. Feels there is always so much space on our right hand side and having an RW who always cuts in has slowed down so many attacks / not gotten full utility out of our strikers. Also, considering how decent Gordon/Barnes/Joelinton are with their left foot I dont really care about it. 

Nico would be perfect

15 minutes ago, BergenMagpie said:

Id actually prefer a right footed RW. Feels there is always so much space on our right hand side and having an RW who always cuts in has slowed down so many attacks / not gotten full utility out of our strikers. Also, considering how decent Gordon/Barnes/Joelinton are with their left foot I dont really care about it. 

Nico would be perfect

Yep. One of the plus points of having Murphy in the team is that he does deliver an early cross from the right, sometimes they can be real pearlers as well. He's just not a good enough player for a top side, but an upgraded version would be perfect.

54 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Who would everyone’s 3 ideal and realistic signings be this summer ?

I'll let other people do the fancy signings, because I do think we'll be after a right-sided forward, an accomplished or aspiring young centre-back, and though I dread to say it, I can see Bruno going and us paying a hefty wedge for his replacement while still leaving a little bit of cash spare in the piggy bank.

Instead what I'll do is focus on some of those lesser lights who might still brighten a damp winter morning, not merely filling in come another injury crisis or adding a bit of something different off the bench but providing real competition each and every week. These are signings who won't get anybody's pulses going but should prove crucial for squad balance without costing the earth.

The first name I'm liking is Fagioli from Juventus, a talented young all-around midfielder who can do the dirty work but also shows good ball control and balance. He'd be able to fill in pretty much anywhere you'd like. The second is Adam Armstrong, a home-grown, one of the top scorers in the Championship this season, a versatile frontman who unlike so many other options provides genuine striking ability, and possibly available come the end of the season if Southampton's promotion challenge continues to falter. I'm making no bones about it, for me Adam Armstrong is a must-have. And the third name is the out-of-sorts Palace left back Jeffrey Schlupp.