NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

The guy at Wolves João Gomes has done really well for them and came in straight from Brazil. Been a bit of an eye opener for me.

There's a few similar to him that have been spoken highly of that are still in Brazil. Pablo Maia at Sao Paulo who is even in the national team now, and Andre at Fluminense.

Feel like we could find a decent backup to Bruno over there without breaking the bank.

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

I remember me and many others on here talking about Alan Varela before he moved to Porto for 8m euros. He has impressed for them and there are rumours that both PSG and Liverpool are interested in him.  We seem to be scouting in South America quite a bit but we never buy from there for some reason. I wonder if the same will happen with Redondo. Him going cheap somewhere and then cost a bomb a year later. He might be RM bound sometime, no idea. Not sure how well he has done this season either. We should buy some and loan them out to Portuguese/Dutch clubs. 

It's weird, the Premier League is guilty of this in general. Won't risk £20 million on Gyokeres, but will see how he gets on at Sporting before chucking £80 million at him.

15 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The guy at Wolves João Gomes has done really well for them and came in straight from Brazil. Been a bit of an eye opener for me.

There's a few similar to him that have been spoken highly of that are still in Brazil. Pablo Maia at Sao Paulo who is even in the national team now, and Andre at Fluminense.

Feel like we could find a decent backup to Bruno over there without breaking the bank.

We seem to be linked with young South Americans but that’s as far as it goes.

Just now, Matt1892 said:

We seem to be linked with young South Americans but that’s as far as it goes.

We were linked with Pablo Maia at some point. Nothing ever materialised though, but yeah, mostly youngsters.

It's been floated in the Athletic again this morning, but would you sell Bruno for his release clause (£100 millon), if it meant we could strengthen the areas of the squad mentioned (GK, CB, CM, RW, ST).

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

It's been floated in the Athletic again this morning, but would you sell Bruno for his release clause (£100 millon), if it meant we could strengthen the areas of the squad mentioned (GK, CB, CM, RW, ST).

Heart says no, head says yes.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If his release clause is met we have no say in the matter. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

If his release clause is met we have no say in the matter. 

I realise that, but I'm just talking in hypotheticals, imagine he wants to stay, but a club are willing to meet his clause (I know in reality they'd have agreement from his camp first).

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Would depend who the incomings where.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I realise that, but I'm just talking in hypotheticals, imagine he wants to stay, but a club are willing to meet his clause (I know in reality they'd have agreement from his camp first).

Got it, if we have no headroom then yes, I’d sell. If we have some room to play with or can make it some money flogging some fringe players then I’d keep. 

12 hours ago, KaKa said:

:love:

36 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

What does £25m buy you these days though? Or does selling Bruno free up loads more than £100m? I don’t understand the nuances of FFP.

We’d probably have to spend £40-50m on a top drawer CM to replace Bruno. A top class RW is going to set us back probably the same. We also need a backup RW, maybe £20m? And we still need another 2-3 after that.

It seems like selling Bruno might be the only way to fund the rebuild we need. 

He’s instrumental in everything good we do, so I’d hate to see him leave, but we can’t go into another season with players like Murphy, Almiron, Longstaff, Lascelles, Burn etc. as regular starters if we want to challenge. 
It might be one step back to move 2 forward. 

Edited by Holmesy

Aye, the lack of young signings from South America has been a real disappointment and feels such an obvious route to building quality depth in the squad.

Fuck I really hope we're allowed spend properly in the summer. I'm not even asking for superstars, just don't want to see the likes of Bruno and Isak having to play alongside the likes of Krafth, Longstaff and Murphy anymore.

46 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

We simply cannot win games without Bruno, I get we bought him relatively cheaply so say he is still standing us 25m on the books so we make 75m "profit".

From my poor understanding of current rules (which are likely out the window some form or another soon anyway) you can bank the money but push the spending of the money over 3 years so allows you to spend 225m? however depending on what happens with the wages rules wouldn't free up 225m worth of player wages. 

Also it has been debated but we like buying from this league which doesnt come cheap say we cash in but then spend 50/60m on Onana from Everton? or 70m on Morgan Gibbs White it isn't going to go very far, very quickly you find yourself in a similar position to now, most of your headroom spent and unable to invest without sales. 

image.thumb.png.ecef4e1376092f3f4808c52bc7fd54f6.png

Edited by nufcjmc

I don't know how hamstrung we are by FFP and I'm not going to bore myself reading about all the nuances and what deals kick in this summer and whatever the fuck else.  

But Bruno and Isak are unique.  Not sure it's a good idea to be selling either and then trying to replace them with a sub-par player.  Just so you can strengthen other areas of the squad. 

You'd like to hope our scouting network could hit on players that don't cost the earth for other areas.  But that would be an upgrade on the likes of Almiron, Murphy, Longstaff, Dubravka/Karius, Lascelles/Burn etc etc.  As opposed to cashing in on one of our blue chip players and doing it the other way round.

I would always lean towards replacing starting players with better quality and building the team and squad that way.  But if FFP/PSR really is fucking us.  Then perhaps genuinely decent rotation options that wouldn't cost a fortune would be preferable?  When everyone is fit..... LOL :lol: the first 15-16 is pretty strong as it is.  It's just the Ashley hangover with loads of average to bad players.  It's not really competition for places and most weeks.  We have 3-4 players on the bench that have no business being there and are only going to come on in an emergency. 

2 hours ago, nufcjmc said:

We simply cannot win games without Bruno, I get we bought him relatively cheaply so say he is still standing us 25m on the books so we make 75m "profit".

From my poor understanding of current rules (which are likely out the window some form or another soon anyway) you can bank the money but push the spending of the money over 3 years so allows you to spend 225m? however depending on what happens with the wages rules wouldn't free up 225m worth of player wages. 

Also it has been debated but we like buying from this league which doesnt come cheap say we cash in but then spend 50/60m on Onana from Everton? or 70m on Morgan Gibbs White it isn't going to go very far, very quickly you find yourself in a similar position to now, most of your headroom spent and unable to invest without sales. 

image.thumb.png.ecef4e1376092f3f4808c52bc7fd54f6.png

You haven't got the FFP bit quite right.

Lets ignore wages and make it easy with a £100m sale for a player with no book value left you create a one off profit of £100m. If you gave everyone a 5 year contract you could spend £500m and the in year cost would balance against the sale profit  but this is for one year only, you've really got to use that as a catalyst for future income growth or you will be left in year 2 with a cumulative £100m loss problem which then goes to £200m in year 3, £300m in year 4 and 5 as the sale drops out.

(All that assumes you start at nil profit or loss and breakeven before this spend each year)

Spending anything over what you generate creates a risk so you need to spend it wisely

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Yes. Him, Isak and Gordon are our crown jewels at the moment, but Bruno has peaked and is 2-3 years older than the others. Plus (hopefully) we already have his replacement ready to come in when his ban ends.

3 hours ago, Shearergol said:

:love:

Have you seen much of him then?

I've just seen his name about loads along with Pablo Maia, but haven't really seen either play.

What's his game like?

Just now, KaKa said:

Have you seen much of him then?

I've just seen his name about loads along with Pablo Maia, but haven't really seen either play.

What's his game like?

Only from clips, Brazilian football isn't something I watch a great deal of tbh :lol: Looks to be great at breaking up opposition attacks (which is something we're desperate for) but also has a great eye for a pass. He's very similar to Bruno in the sense he very rarely loses the ball. He's not exactly the true 6 I want to sign, but if we're replacing Bruno like for like I reckon he's a good option.

I was pretty certain I read he was off to Liverpool, but I guess that never happened given they bought 3 or 4 other midfielders instead.

12 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Tonali is Longstaff's replacement. If we sell Bruno we should look to find a true DM (I realise Howe doesn't particularly want that though).

Replacement on the teamsheet, not on the pitch (role) is my guess.

Edited by madras

11 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Only from clips, Brazilian football isn't something I watch a great deal of tbh :lol: Looks to be great at breaking up opposition attacks (which is something we're desperate for) but also has a great eye for a pass. He's very similar to Bruno in the sense he very rarely loses the ball. He's not exactly the true 6 I want to sign, but if we're replacing Bruno like for like I reckon he's a good option.

I was pretty certain I read he was off to Liverpool, but I guess that never happened given they bought 3 or 4 other midfielders instead.

Ah, okay. Interesting. I've seen similar descriptions of Pablo Maia. 

What kind of 6 would you prefer for us to go for then? More of a physical ball winner like Ugarte?