NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

4 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

None of that is how I interpreted that scene.

Well, then, I've probably gotten it completely wrong. Just my take at the time. What was yours?

Edited by Abacus

We're definitely taking a gamble if we don't get a centre-back though. If we can't get first choice, I'd sooner we get someone on loan than drop to someone like Chalobah or Gomez (unless it's just a straight up loan, no obligation to buy) just to patch us over until Botman is back and our first choice becomes available/affordable. 

9 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Well then, here's one. I'm not convinced about Eales.

I think we've lost something with Staveley going, but aside from that I keep going back to that soft soap documentary where they were all filmed talking about how the amount of money spent makes you successful. When challenged on this he deflected and said we had a secret weapon in Howe, who could make us overperform, or words to that effect.

It felt to me like the manager was being thrown under the bus there. I do not think it is a viable strategy to buy anyone you can afford and then just expect Howe to turn them all into world-beaters. And then after that, I didn't expect Eales to recently come out and say that he could concentrate on what he's good at, i.e. training players on the pitch, instead of being a key part of decision making, which he was before.

Then again, I've had a pint and been watching traitors on here, so my threat sensors are probably still on high alert.

As for transfers, let's buy whoever Mitchell scouts if that's our system now. I've no doubt the club are trying their best on this, so I'll wet the sheets if and only if the confetti goes out of date.

I must say I have a similar sense of foreboding about him.

10 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Well then, here's one. I'm not convinced about Eales.

I think we've lost something with Staveley going, but aside from that I keep going back to that soft soap documentary where they were all filmed talking about how the amount of money spent makes you successful. When challenged on this he deflected and said we had a secret weapon in Howe, who could make us overperform, or words to that effect.

It felt to me like the manager was being thrown under the bus there. I do not think it is a viable strategy to buy anyone you can afford and then just expect Howe to turn them all into world-beaters. And then after that, I didn't expect Eales to recently come out and say that he could concentrate on what he's good at, i.e. training players on the pitch, instead of being a key part of decision making, which he was before.

Then again, I've had a pint and been watching traitors on here, so my threat sensors are probably still on high alert.

As for transfers, let's buy whoever Mitchell scouts if that's our system now. I've no doubt the club are trying their best on this, so I'll wet the sheets if and only if the confetti goes out of date.

Eales is a politician 

I don’t trust politicians 

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We're definitely taking a gamble if we don't get a centre-back though. If we can't get first choice, I'd sooner we get someone on loan than drop to someone like Chalobah or Gomez (unless it's just a straight up loan, no obligation to buy) just to patch us over until Botman is back and our first choice becomes available/affordable. 

Agreed. Though less than ideal we can “manage” RW until Jan if necessary  but we could be really screwed if we lose Schar for any length of time.

2 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

I'm actually starting to think we might not do anything. I get the caution over getting it right but this will have been a disaster of a window if we don't deliver on at least one of those key positions.

Calling a window where we've avoided a double-digit points deduction whilst also hanging onto Bruno, Isak and Gordon (despite not being in Europe) a 'disaster' is a bit crackers imo. I'm not underselling Newcastle there - they're world class players whom we're vulnerable to losing to teams at the top of the food chain. 

5 hours ago, Scoot said:

Wasn't sure where to put this so here will do. I actually agree with Puke here.

https://archive.is/wUD4I

"Popularity is a fragile thing when it comes to Newcastle United and supporters value results on the pitch more than any sort of well meaning fan engagement. What can be brushed off as some harmless fun now can easily turn into something less pleasant if supporters feel they have been let down by men in suits with microphones in their hands."

nah, fuck off with that shite Luke.

Just now, Yorkie said:

Calling a window where we've avoided a double-digit points deduction whilst also hanging onto Bruno, Isak and Gordon (despite not being in Europe) a 'disaster' is a bit crackers imo. I'm not underselling Newcastle there - they're world class players whom we're vulnerable to losing to teams at the top of the food chain. 

I don’t think keeping your best players should be a key indicator to a successful window mind, it was a favourite line under Ashley. For me it’s have we improved the starting 11 and as it stands we haven’t. I’m obviously delighted Isak, Gordon and Bruno look like staying mind.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The two things are linked don't you think? Fail to progress the squad = lower liklihood of success = higher liklihood of losing those players we've kept next time. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

It's definitely a shambles IMO.

I'd probably have rather sold one of them early and reloaded with 3-4 signings if that's what it meant to keep us moving forward. Controversial maybe.

This is no major signings for two windows and stagnation at best of the squad.

Keeping Gordon, Isak and Bruno (+having Jow, Tino, Pope) in the squad is a long way away from holding onto an Ayoze, a Sissoko etc from yesteryear. I agree that if we were not to bring in both a RW and a RCB I’d be really disappointed 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I don’t think keeping your best players should be a key indicator to a successful window mind, it was a favourite line under Ashley. For me it’s have we improved the starting 11 and as it stands we haven’t. I’m obviously delighted Isak, Gordon and Bruno look like staying mind.

If we've reached out spending limit to get us to this stage though then I'd say it's a success. It looks like we've the money for one big signing, there's only really two areas we're quite a way off the other top 6 or so teams. That's fucking incredible progress in 2 and a half seasons. 

2 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Be funny after all this there’s a couple of total curve balls out of the blue 😂

I reckon (and hope) it will be. Guehi interest only got leaked because of Palace - none of the local journos were mentioning him on our supposed lists of targets before then.

My concern “if” we were to sign nobody is if we’ve limited ourself to minimal options which doesn’t fit our our previous strategy before. With our scouting network you’d assume we have several options for key positions and some that no fucker in the press knows about.  

Edited by ExiledGeordie