NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

19 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

Does seem a bit of a random update to me, Ornstein usually puts out things when they're more advanced.

Maybe this is a push to Palace to stop messing about.

Check his tweet that started the Guehi thread and it was similarly out of character. Called it then it seemed like a deliberate leak/sales pitch.

13 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

What is it about Osulas game and goal scoring record that has set your mind at ease in him deputising for Isak when he inevitably gets injured?

He's a striker with potential. Seems to have the physical requirements to do well. Howe and Tindall rates him. Sounds good to me.

It’s a complete fallacy to suggest we have to pay through the nose for players who would improve the squad and have genuine potential to develop into very, very good players.

The fact that we did it twice with Bruno and Botman, good age, plenty of experience and good ceiling (it’s more than possible we didn’t expect Bruno to become the monster he’s become) proves this.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

The two things are linked don't you think? Fail to progress the squad = lower liklihood of success = higher liklihood of losing those players we've kept next time. 

59 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Totally disagree. Not progressing what we already have decreases our chances of getting Europe/top 6 this season given the context of the teams around us. No Europe again next season and we can probably count the transfer requests coming in from those players you've mentioned to go to those clubs at the top of food chain that do have Europe.

I do take the point but the likes of Isak could leave regardless of whether or not we get into Europe; they're so good that they'd only be moving to a bigger club anyway. It's a miserable thought I knew, but we should expect them to be linked with moves away in every single transfer window, regardless of how we're doing.

I'd be disappointed if we signed no one else because the point about stagnation is a fair concern, but I'd sum it up as more of a mixed bag than a disaster. It's a minor miracle that we put £70m in our pockets at the end of June without losing any of those guys, and Kelly/Osula look like good signings. I certainly wouldn't rule out a European challenge.

I'm reserving judgement until the window slams shut. Clearly the club have had some difficult circumstances to contend with.

What I hope, is that Guehi was a priority and we were waiting to see how much we spend on him/another centre half, before using the rest of the budget to sign a right winger late in the window when we've maximised any player sales. 

The first XI needs that little boost too. Something to keep us fresh. Feel like we're on danger of going a bit stale.

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I do take the point but the likes of Isak could leave regardless of whether or not we get into Europe; they're so good that they'd only be moving to a bigger club anyway. It's a miserable thought I knew, but we should expect them to be linked with moves away in every single transfer window, regardless of how we're doing.

I'd be disappointed if we signed no one else because the point about stagnation is a fair concern, but I'd sum it up as more of a mixed bag than a disaster. It's a minor miracle that we put £70m in our pockets at the end of June without losing any of those guys, and Kelly/Osula look like good signings. I certainly wouldn't rule out a European challenge.

I just don't see the point in thinking like this when we're attempting to reach the top. I think it's well within our ability (with new additions) to push for 3rd this season. That's how highly I rate Howe and in that scenario I'm not worrying about losing players, I'm thinking about who we get to push on again. That has to be the ambition. Not the expectation, but the ambition and goal.

As the old saying goes, if you stand still you go backwards.

Edited by Kid Icarus

5 hours ago, Big River said:

do you still think we should sell Joelinton?

the ship has sailed. No point selling him now, we can’t find buyers anyway after we increased his wages

going back last Jan, when we still can avoid the damage, then yes.

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I just don't see the point in thinking like this when we're attempting to reach the top. I think it's well within our ability (with new additions) to push for 3rd this season. That's how highly I rate Howe and in that scenario I'm not worrying about losing players, I'm thinking about who we get to push on again. That has to be the ambition. Not the expectation, but the ambition and goal.

As the old saying goes, if you stand still you go backwards.

I'm on the same page but I just think it's incredibly wishful thinking to imagine we aren't gonna be considering selling those players, particularly in the PSR era. Obviously I hope all of them stay forever. 

Anyway, we're drifting far too much into misery with all that. My main point is that I don't think it's a disaster if we sign no one else. That morning when Gordon looked like he was going to Liverpool I'd have absolutely snapped your hand off for the status quo, and that was before we signed a promising striker. 

6 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Think the hard part in that one is getting a CL player to swap that for us.

Be some signing, abit like Tonali seemed unrealistic.

Do we have a poster on here called Leverkusenista?

11 minutes ago, Zero said:

the ship has sailed. No point selling him now, we can’t find buyers anyway after we increased his wages

going back last Jan, when we still can avoid the damage, then yes.

Joelinton - damage.

FFS :lol:

2 minutes ago, Disco said:

Joke Gomez and Axewound Disaster are the only two players in the league worse than Almiron.

Be lucky to stay up at this rate.

Genuinely interested in your thoughts on the window thus far Disco but this has sent me. :lol: