NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

If it goes as expected - Tonali plus at least two others - its a good window, especially when factoring in FFP.

We'll have added a world class player and fleshed out the squad with the extra CL games and have lost one good but unreliable player and reserves in effect.

If windows continue on like that, which they quite likely will, we'll be there after a few more.

That plus a fully bedded in Gordon.

I cant get vexed.

Edited by Wolfcastle

I still think we'll do something with RW and LB before the window closes. With RW we might have to move on one of Murphy or Amiron similar to the ASM/Barnes thing. 

We'll hopefully be able to do more as well when we start moving on some of these: Darlow, Lascelles, Kraft, Manquillo, Lewis, Ritchie, Fraser. 

I think we'll get Livramento / or whatever alternative and that'll be it IMO. That's what I think "the plan" is.

Anything else will be either an U21 signing, a response to any serious injuries before the deadline or if someone on "the list" becomes available unexpectedly.

Once we get the fullback signing in we probably need to concentrate on shifting some of the excess - Hayden, Hendrick, Fraser, Manquillo or Krafth, Watts, Lewis and at least one of the keepers, maybe two. Ashby could probably do with a loan spell too.

11 minutes ago, James said:

If we can’t get Hayden out conventionally because of his injuries, perhaps he should be offered an U21 coaching role

Why? We don’t want an unnecessary coach + coaching salary at the club. He might be shit at coaching or not want to do that? Might as well just release him. 

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Will we not have already written his wages off by now, as we've done with Hendrick (and probably Fraser)?

Maybe but that write-off is still in the 3 year period so that’s not really helping us yet.

2 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Maybe but that write-off is still in the 3 year period so that’s not really helping us yet.

But would there be any benefit in releasing him? Would we not just end up paying off the rest of his contract up front and completely eliminating any chance of getting a fee for him?

1 minute ago, Rich said:

But would there be any benefit in releasing him? Would we not just end up paying off the rest of his contract up front and completely eliminating any chance of getting a fee for him?

Yeah, I wouldn’t release him- it was just instead of putting him on a coaching contract as suggested. 

Just now, Manxst said:

Yeah, I wouldn’t release him- it was just instead of putting him on a coaching contract as suggested. 

I think you've made the mistake of engaging with a James suggestion there, mate.

We really should be thinking of Gordon as a new signing. Talk of a need for a RW needs to stop. Barnes will be LW, Gordon competing for RW or through the middle from the bench if a game needs this.

Yeah I think that’s us done for wingers. 

Barnes and Jow on the left, Isak if needs be.

Miggy, Murphy and Gordon on the right.

We’re only getting another if one more is sold.

I think we're a player light on the wing, personally.

Barnes, Almiron, Gordon and Murphy is not a good enough group for us to be competitive in Europe and challenge for top four IMO.

One more (on whatever side we don't see Gordon playing) and Murphy being pushed to 5th choice winger would look vastly better.

I get that Joelinton can play LW, but if that's the plan then it leaves us looking a bit light on options in CM.

Don't think we'll see Isak on the left to start games, more something we only do when we're chasing a goal. He'll be the main man at CF. Wilson will get plenty of games giving Isak a rest and will be a fantastic option off the bench either seeing games out or chasing a goal.

Our style of play means we need quality depth more than most IMO and I do think we're light. A couple of injuries to key players and we could get very stretched.

I think we're fine to go into the start of the season with the present options so I wouldn't be surprised to see another wide man be something that we do late in the window rather than a priority.

Maybe Howe has confidence that Murphy and/or Anderson are going to be able to play a lot and contribute positively, if so then maybe it's not a need. If love to see Anderson go on loan and start every game in the Championship but maybe we think he's ready.

Aye, said it in another thread but our wingers were our most rotated players last season and with good reason. 

I'd hooe there's a desire to ensure there's good quality in the depth we have in that position as there's a significant step down in quality after first change. 

Not disagreeing that we’ve needed improvements on the wings, if Gordon can play there to a high standard we might be ok. However, the reason there was barely any rotation in our defence was because we largely stayed injury free and had barely anyone to cover 

7 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Not disagreeing that we’ve needed improvements on the wings, if Gordon can play there to a high standard we might be ok. However, the reason there was barely any rotation in our defence was because we largely stayed injury free and had barely anyone to cover 

That and Howe said he preferred a settled back four - said as much when questioned about why Targett couldn't get in the team. But anytime he's tried to go after a game he's always looked to bring on wingers first and foremost. 

Edited by Thumbheed

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

That and Howe said he preferred a settled back four - said as much when questioned about why Targett could get into the team. But anytime he's tried to go after a game he's always looked to bring on wingers first and foremost. 

I'll bet we were top or close in using subs last season which were often forwards and midfielders purely to have fresh legs and maintain intensity.

It'll be interesting to see if it's a ploy others look at and copy 

Think our front three need to work their bollox off out possession so there's more need to rotate.

Hard to see any of our attackers playing 90 minutes on a Sunday and then doing it again on a Wednesday in the CL.

We need another winger IMO. Went into the summer needing one and we've sold one and brought one in.

Chiesa loan to buy just seems such a good idea :lol:

There's alot of players who I just don't count as serviceable players, the likes of Dummett and Ritchie who will only play in the event of an emergency... with that in mind... (Let's assume Darlow and ASM gone).

*Flexible players

GK: Pope, Dubravka, Karius (3)

RB: Trippier, Krafth, Manquillo (3)

RCB: Schar, Lascelles (2)

LCB: Botman, Burn* (2)

LB: Burn*, Targett, Trippier (3)

CM: Bruno, Tonali, Joelinton*, Longstaff, Willock, Anderson*, Miley (7)

RW: Miggy, Murphy, Gordon* Anderson* (4)

LW: Barnes, Joelinton*, Gordon*, Isak* Anderson* (5)

FW: Isak*, Wilson, Gordon* (3)

I recognise their are alot of "copies" amongst this list but I think it's important to stress we have signed players BECAUSE they are flexible and it's a benefit and not a problem. Having someone like Gordon up to speed (fingers crossed) who's a jack of all trades, is of massive benefit to the group.

On the other hand, defence sticks out like a sore thumb. Two injuries and we go from one of the best defences in the league, to something more akin to a bottom half side. It does seem strange that we have targeted Livramento, who plays on the right when left seems to be less stocked. Perhaps his flexibility and Trippiers ability to play on the left is a factor.

It actually wouldn't surprise me at all if we target another left footed centre back. That frees up Burn and offers us depth.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not a rumour, but Arsenal fans are saying Tierney hasn’t even had a look in during pre season despite being fully fit. 

Definitely a deal to be done there if we are still interested.

Came on as sub in all their three friendly games so far, on 46, 65 and 50 minutes, so he’s probably played as much as anyone else. 

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not a rumour, but Arsenal fans are saying Tierney hasn’t even had a look in during pre season despite being fully fit. 

Definitely a deal to be done there if we are still interested.

Makes you wonder if we are sitting tight on that one. Waiting for Arsenal to be slightly desperate for a sale. Bring the price down.

Us getting Tierney for 20m in the last week of the window would be amazing.