NUFC Transfer Rumours

38 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Thought he was 2 years older! Suppose that’s not too bad but it’s slightly over what we usually go for.

4 and a half years younger than Schar, a great age for the here and now and gives us time to find or develop a younger CB. 

54 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Andersen is such a good player and a better version of Schar (as harsh as that sounds) but paying anything north of 30 for him would be a waste, considering his age. Ideally we’d be getting someone with the same passing ability but younger and more pacey/ athletic; not sure who tbh, but anyone with that kind of profile wouldn’t come cheap.

Normally I wouldn't want to go anywhere near a CD who isn't rapid, but Andersen reads the game so well that I can understand why we are keen on him. Looks a real winner.

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

He always started games in central midfield, though, which is what I think people might be getting mixed up by. Arguing two different things.

He typically ended with a higher average position than Joelinton and on the occasions when we went 4-2-3-1 with them both in the team, it was Willock rather than Joelinton who played on the wing, with Big Jow moving back into the midfield two.

Honestly think Willock could play in any attacking midfield position, including on either wing, with good success. He's such a natural footballer and a great athlete, plus he still has plenty of time on his side, too.

Fair! I just want to see if that outside of the boot cross to isak against spurs was a fluke or if he can do that more often!

42 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Thought he was 2 years older! Suppose that’s not too bad but it’s slightly over what we usually go for.

I think that’s why on this one the price is more of a sticking point than our other deals. The PIF sign off I’m guessing for a deal of £40+m will be 25yrs old and under I’m thinking. Any older and we are looking at a fee maximum less than £30m. Especially when not a clear certain starter. 

See how it develops but it’s clear RCB is our main target now and if the opportunity rises a LB though I think A.Murphy’s performances has give them food for thought in that position.

19 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

How much more do you think we spend?

So far I think we're ~£130m.

It’s closer to £89m spent ?  Net 

minteh £6m

tonali £52m

barnes £39m

livramento £31m

Out

maxi  £23m

wood £15m

shelvey £1

darlow £500k

maybe a new RCB £35m/£40m

total spend £125/130m

I’ve left off add ons

35 minutes ago, Rich said:

He always started games in central midfield, though, which is what I think people might be getting mixed up by. Arguing two different things.

He typically ended with a higher average position than Joelinton and on the occasions when we went 4-2-3-1 with them both in the team, it was Willock rather than Joelinton who played on the wing, with Big Jow moving back into the midfield two.

Honestly think Willock could play in any attacking midfield position, including on either wing, with good success. He's such a natural footballer and a great athlete, plus he still has plenty of time on his side, too.

Exactly, they seem to push him forward and usually left but he seems to be essentially LM more or less.

6 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

minteh £6m

tonali £52m

barnes £39m

livramento £31m

Out

maxi  £23m

wood £15m

shelvey £1

darlow £500k

total spend £125/130m

I’ve left off add ons

Yeh I was just quickly adding up what we've spent on incomings to get to that figure.

Think you're correct with just the one more signing. With some funds held back for another window and not let us get close to our feckin FFP limit.

13 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

minteh £6m

tonali £52m

barnes £39m

livramento £31m

Out

maxi  £23m

wood £15m

shelvey £1

darlow £500k

total spend £125/130m

I’ve left off add ons

Not sure if it's traditional to include them and if they only count towards FFP when triggered. That would make perfect sense as they may never get triggered.

image.thumb.png.7c69efc39b96c8aaebe99539152aaa0e.png

4 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

I’m not sure why people are down on Chalobah, if he was in Ligue 1 playing for someone like Rennes last season he would have been like prime Costacurta.

He didn’t look great against us when they beat us with that late Havertz winner. Murphy give him a bit of a runaround iirc and could’ve conceded one penalty if not two.

Probably that game that’s sticking in people’s heads ?‍♂️ 

Down on Chalobah (and Anderson) because coming from a PL club we’ll pay a premium.  

The main benefit of a PL transfer is knowing they can succeed in the league. You don’t get that with Chalobah - at least not in a back 4.  Anderson does give you that though.  

Chalobah is not considered an elite or near elite potential talent.  He’s 5th choice for a good reason. We should be signing Colwil level wonderkids.  Same thing with Anderson.  He’s a good PL player but nothing more. Schar is a good PL player. I don’t think either have the potential to be a significant upgrade on him. And definitely not for £25m-£40m. 

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Andersen’s passing range is elite, he’s also a brilliant defender. I’d be delighted with the signing.

Passing is great. Defending is good but is it elite? I follow Palace and always thought he was a good player and a shrewd signing.  But never thought he would be a £40m defender for a top 6 side. 

He looks slow in Palace usual mid to low block and will be susceptible for us to the Same pace in behind.  

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Passing is great. Defending is good but is it elite? I follow Palace and always thought he was a good player and a shrewd signing.  But never thought he would be a £40m defender for a top 6 side. 

He looks slow in Palace usual mid to low block and will be susceptible for us to the Same pace in behind.  

Aye I wouldn’t say his defending is elite but he is a very good defender imo. He’s basically a like for like for Schar (I rate Andersen a bit higher tbh). If we aren’t going down the route of adding pace then I think Andersen is the ideal signing.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Willock starts at LCM but ends up in LW positions a lot. Howe does not start him at LW in a 433. I don’t think Howe considers him a winger so I won’t. 

I dont think he considered Joe a winger either.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

I dont think he considered Joe a winger either.

I think he does in his 433. At least that’s where he puts him on the team sheet and expects him to start when we are in possession deep.  That’s how he scores those goals from the Schar diagonal. He’s in a LW position.  Willock doesn’t make those runs because he’s not in position. 

Once we have settled possession sure Willock runs up there and stays there.  He’s a little cuter with his dribbling than Joe in tight spaces can wriggle past a defender. 

Because of his physicality I think Howe considers Joelinton a better option in 2 man midfield pivot as he’s more of a defensive presence.  But when they both start JoeW is the nominal LCM and Joelinton nominal LW. 

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think he does in his 433. At least that’s where he puts him on the team sheet and expects him to start when we are in possession deep.  That’s how he scores those goals from the Schar diagonal. He’s in a LW position.  Willock doesn’t make those runs because he’s not in position. 

Once we have settled possession sure Willock runs up there and stays there.  He’s a little cuter with his dribbling than Joe in tight spaces can wriggle past a defender. 

Because of his physicality I think Howe considers Joelinton a better option in 2 man midfield pivot as he’s more of a defensive presence.  But when they both start JoeW is the nominal LCM and Joelinton nominal LW. 

He maybe did when we had Maxi playing but when he wasn't and he and Joe held down the left hand, side they were a lot more fluid, interchanging loads to the point where you couldn't really say who was wide and who was more central. Don't expect it to happen when Barnes plays though.

Edited by madras

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No but it’s peak value.  Sell him 2 years later, likely lose some money. And we always banging on about FFP. 

We also like to go about 'balance' a lot. So don't think they're necessarily against signing someone with the idea that they're likely going to be there for the back 9 of their career, rather than with half an eye on sell on value. As long as we don't make a habit of making multiple signings in that bracket per window. 

8 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

We also like to go about 'balance' a lot. So don't think they're necessarily against signing someone with the idea that they're likely going to be there for the back 9 of their career, rather than with half an eye on sell on value. As long as we don't make a habit of making multiple signings in that bracket per window. 

Aye but we’ve not signed a player that age since the first window. 

And I feel like CB is a position where you can find good value.  Schar being an example. And because I like Schar so much - I’d be happy going proper young like 20 and mostly used as cover. 

3 weeks of the window left and there seems to be only one definite name (Andersen) floating about.

Some tenious rumours about Solet, Amrabat and Zaniolo but I don't see any of them happening. Solet is young and quick but he seems so raw, not sure how ready he would be for Premier League. The other two is just nonsense I think.