NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Targett was top notch when he came into the club and played really well. But with us playing a more pressing game now I'm not sure he can adapt. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's just lack of match fitness that's giving him bother. 

4 hours ago, Decky said:

Murphy did well too last season. I think the problem we have with RW is that last season we rotated players in form to get us through. Almiron was on fire until January and kinda went off the boil a bit, then Murphy had a purple patch towards the end of the season. We need to put a quality RW in there who will play most of the season. We know Miggy and Murphy aren't all that long-term.

Think of Almiron's form last season and how many points we got from it. If he or someone else can replicate that this season we'll fall behind compared to last year. We need someone who can be relied upon to deliver that consistently. Players like that cost a fair bit and we've obviously got FFP limitations but I think we missed a trick with Diaby going for £50m, we'll see. 

Diaby has a lot of positives to his game, but I also think we’re at a delicate point tactically.

Intensity is our identity as Howe said. We’re about hard work creating the platform to be decisive, but that requires input from all eleven players. If you drop Diaby 15-20 yards deeper and you ask him to press like Almiron is he getting 15-20 goal contributions like at Leverkusen?

One of the big critiques I saw of him referenced his lack of involvement defensively. If Unai Emery can accommodate that with his system that’s great, but that’s why I say we’re at a delicate point.

We can all see where the opportunities to improve are, but finding that improvement while also not compromising the robust system we’ve built narrows the scope of potential players significantly. We’ll have to change our style gradually, which is what make Howe’s job so tough and why I think they’ve gone for young versatile options whenever possible. We can’t afford a 55m gamble from the Bundesliga because if we try to sell him back you’re lucky if you’re getting 20m back. 

Edited by Viana

6 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I agree with this. But we haven’t been as ‘smart’ in the transfer market in terms of unearthing gems as I thought we would be. 

Barnes and Tino were logical and predictable signings.  And then we’ve signed the Milan captain for a premium.  I expected us to do more Botman & Bruno type deals and the type of signings at Brighton. 

Hard to say yet though isn't it?

We've signed Minteh, Ashby, Kuol, Alex Murphy, Reece Byrne, Jordan Hackett, Jude Smith, Amadou Diallo, Isaak Westendorf & Alfie Hughes.

We're seeing with Miley that we may have players in the academy the previous lot would have just ignored too.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

6 hours ago, LFEE said:

Willock not mentioned. He was our main wide man most of last season 🙂

Willock played almost all his football as LCM last season.

He gets into great wide positions from that spot but saying he was our main wide man last season is absurd :lol:

31 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

We've signed Minteh, Ashby, Kuol, Alex Murphy, Reece Byrne, Jordan Hackett, Jude Smith, Amadou Diallo, Isaak Westendorf & Alfie Hughes.

We're seeing with Miley that we may have players in the academy the previous lot would have just ignored too.

That is a very fair point. Some of these may emerge in the first team over the next couple of years saving us tens and of millions. 

18 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

A loan move abroad sounds very much like a step that suits Arsenal rather than the player, for whom it would be very disruptive on a personal level. Arsenal don't need him, but would like to keep him in reserve, and they don't want him to go to another Premiership team. It's a short career and I don't think the club is behaving very well.

7 hours ago, LFEE said:

Willock not mentioned. He was our main wide man most of last season 🙂

If I'm correct, Willock did not start one game out wide, he always played as part of a central three. However he did indeed spend a lot of the games wide due to the way we played. 

44 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

We have boosted the youth ranks but I don’t think we have done it like was expected when Ashworth came on board, Minteh is the only one that we have spent any sort of decent money on for a youth player. I don’t include Ashby in that group.

It probably seems worse in that we have been linked with a few South Americans over a number of months that we have reportedly been watching yet they end up at Man City and Chelsea out of the blue.

6 hours ago, Decky said:

Murphy did well too last season. I think the problem we have with RW is that last season we rotated players in form to get us through. Almiron was on fire until January and kinda went off the boil a bit, then Murphy had a purple patch towards the end of the season. We need to put a quality RW in there who will play most of the season. We know Miggy and Murphy aren't all that long-term.

Think of Almiron's form last season and how many points we got from it. If he or someone else can replicate that this season we'll fall behind compared to last year. We need someone who can be relied upon to deliver that consistently. Players like that cost a fair bit and we've obviously got FFP limitations but I think we missed a trick with Diaby going for £50m, we'll see. 

I disagree with Murphys “purple patch” - I just think he’s responded to new squad, training, atmos and that’s him now.  

19 hours ago, Tiresias said:

Anyone who thinks "But I don’t think they’re the type of signings that the rest of the Premier League would make" is insulting us and not them is has way too much respect for the rest of the leagues competence like 

I haven’t heard him say the comments, the tone etc, but what you quote isn’t necessarily bad. May be positive re Howe, backing himself to grow good/great players into something even better and having an approach which moulds a team rather than slots in people who are already at the top of their game.

That said, not sure every other team has a different approach and plenty would have fancied the players we have signed. So it doesn’t really make sense to me. 

7 hours ago, SEMTEX said:

Aye terrible post from SHAK imo. Misses off several players who played a decent number of minutes on the wing for a team that finished 4th. 

Appalling post here from SMETEX.

Willock almost never plays on the wing. He does well linking up with a LW from his LCM position but it's a very different proposition just starting games as the winger.

You Yanks just find it difficult to see what's happening out there like people who have grown up with the game.

7 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I agree with this. But we haven’t been as ‘smart’ in the transfer market in terms of unearthing gems as I thought we would be. 

Barnes and Tino were logical and predictable signings.  And then we’ve signed the Milan captain for a premium.  I expected us to do more Botman & Bruno type deals and the type of signings at Brighton. 

I'd say intelligent scouting is a mix of unearthing gems and getting in some solid predictable signings. Because of Howe's style and experience coming through the lower leagues and working with English players, we are going to be more likely to look at more of those types, but he gets top returns from them so they can't be overlooked.

Well end up getting more gems of the Brighton ilk in the younger under 21 age group to eventually come through into the first team, as the academy has not been strong.

8 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

The Brighton type signings aren’t really going to emerge until another few years down the line though surely? Although I’d argue in Alex Murphy we maybe have got someone who could step in to do a job after 12 months of Ashworth being in situ. The number of players the club seem to be recruiting in the 16-19 bracket (the two Irish lads from the Milan clubs for instance) suggests they are looking to set that kind of conveyer up, but it will take a while to bear fruit and I’d imagine even in Brighton's more mature set up, there are half a dozen that are moved on for every youngster that steps up to the first team setup.

23 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

The Brighton type signings aren’t really going to emerge until another few years down the line though surely? Although I’d argue in Alex Murphy we maybe have got someone who could step in to do a job after 12 months of Ashworth being in situ. The number of players the club seem to be recruiting in the 16-19 bracket (the two Irish lads from the Milan clubs for instance) suggests they are looking to set that kind of conveyer up, but it will take a while to bear fruit and I’d imagine even in Brighton's more mature set up, there are half a dozen that are moved on for every youngster that steps up to the first team setup.

When did Brighton become Brighton and start making Brighton-type signings? 

They came up the same season as us and were struggling the first few seasons. As poor as we’ve been they’ve finished above us once I think. Ashworth wasn’t there a long time.

Edited by gazza ladra

Here are last season stats on our exclusively wide players and Diaby. His defensive contribution at Leverkusen was even less than ASM for us(!)

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_comparison.cgi?request=1&sum=0&dom_lg=1&player_id1=3ea50f67&p1yrfrom=2022-2023&player_id2=862a1c15&p2yrfrom=2022-2023&player_id3=de112b84&p3yrfrom=2022-2023&player_id4=2b16cb1a&p4yrfrom=2022-2023&player_id5=aeed5c06&p5yrfrom=2022-2023

The big thing Diaby brings is assists from crosses, something we don't need on that side with Trippier as the league's top crosser. Statsbomb Kev said he expects Tonali to add quality delivery from the right.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1672622138329538566.html

22 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Here are last season stats on our exclusively wide players and Diaby. His defensive contribution at Leverkusen was even less than ASM for us(!)

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_comparison.cgi?request=1&sum=0&dom_lg=1&player_id1=3ea50f67&p1yrfrom=2022-2023&player_id2=862a1c15&p2yrfrom=2022-2023&player_id3=de112b84&p3yrfrom=2022-2023&player_id4=2b16cb1a&p4yrfrom=2022-2023&player_id5=aeed5c06&p5yrfrom=2022-2023

The big thing Diaby brings is assists from crosses, something we don't need on that side with Trippier as the league's top crosser. Statsbomb Kev said he expects Tonali to add quality delivery from the right.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1672622138329538566.html

Yeah, I can remember seeing those numbers a little while back. Made think we weren't going to be looking at him.

1 hour ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

I think the difference is that Brighton have invested in that area on players where as we have only really signed Minteh for any sort of transfer fee, who is then loaned out to develop to either come back in at a later date or not. That doesn’t mean the Irish lads or Kuol won’t make it but the idea behind Ashworth was copying Brighton to some extent, acknowledging that we can’t keep going out and buying ready made star players window after window.

I’m surprised at how little we have invested so far in development players to go out on loan.

Just now, Matt1892 said:

I’m not sure why people are down on Chalobah, if he was in Ligue 1 playing for someone like Rennes last season he would have been like prime Costacurta.

He's a talent and can apparently play in midfield which I didn't know.

Think it was the season before last when he was playing a lot at the start of the season and was looking really good.

£25 million for him would be very good business.

1 hour ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

The Brighton type signings aren’t really going to emerge until another few years down the line though surely?

Reckon Minteh at least is going to be in the first team squad next season (24/25) getting consistent minutes from the bench.