NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Very spurious links to Chalobah again (Gazzetta dello Sport). Considering who we have been linked to he would be a massive comedown. Good squad depth and versatility but not improving our starting line up. I thought he looked good against us last year but he isn't the answer. Not sure he would want to exchange one bench for another either. We could surely also do better. Will probably end up somewhere like Everton.

https://tbrfootball.com/newcastle-not-put-off-by-24-year-old-chelsea-players-25-8m-asking-price/

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

Very spurious links to Chalobah again (Gazzetta dello Sport). Considering who we have been linked to he would be a massive comedown. Good squad depth and versatility but not improving our starting line up. I thought he looked good against us last year but he isn't the answer. Not sure he would want to exchange one bench for another either. We could surely also do better. Will probably end up somewhere like Everton.

https://tbrfootball.com/newcastle-not-put-off-by-24-year-old-chelsea-players-25-8m-asking-price/

Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

My own feeling is that we're still one short on wingers.

Barnes, Gordon, Almiron and Joelinton seems very short on numbers for a team who asks as much as we do from our front three in terms of pressing the opposition. And Joelinton will be playing plenty of LCM too so it's basically three and a half players for those two spots. Needs to be a lot of rotation of those spots or they're going to burn out after Christmas.

I know we all love Murphy now and all that and I'm happy for him to continue to be a reliable shithouse sub but in terms of starting games I'd hope it'll be domestic cup games and half a dozen starts in case of emergency otherwise.

Right now I think we're thin on numbers, and that's assuming everyone is fully fit. One long term injury and it immediately looks really bad IMO.

If we don't add anyone I'm gonna not get worked up about it, thought we didn't do enough last summer and it was a mistake not getting a CM in January but neither turned out to be true. I'm reasonably confident that Howe has thought about this more than I have so if he thinks we're covered then I'd assume there's a good reason.

11 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Dont know if hes the answer, but its been mentioned we are after a CB with pace and CL experience (think I have read that somewhere). But Chelsea wont do any business with us anyway..

1 hour ago, Andybiotics said:

Doesn't even support NUFC, so idk how she gets onto these things.

Always just banged on about Athletico Madrid for years.

Nah, I know her family, she definitely supports us and was Newcastle mad even when she was a bairn 

8 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I mean.. it's not. Only if you look at it in a 1-dimensional manner.

Our approach is unique because our context is unique. There's nothing like this in the history of the sport.

On that basis every clubs approach is unique.

The dimension I was looking it at from was in terms of buying Champions League brand players.

In Klopp's first transfer window, Liverpool's major purchases were Mane and Gini. He also brought in Matip, Klaven and Karius.

With Champions League qualification in the bag they brought in Robertson, the Ox and Salah. The likes of Solanke were also purchased.

A majority of these success stories weren't brought in as house hold names, they were coached and developed into them by Klopp and his team.

It wouldn’t take Chalobah long before he replaced Schar as first choice, he has a high level reading of the game mixed with pace so he has a lot of the attributes desired to balance us out at the back. Plus he has Premier League and Champions League experience.

What he hasn’t got is the range of passing that Schar has but I’m wondering if Howe will see beyond that since we could have Bruno and Tonali who can spread the ball about.

I would be happy with him signing.

9 minutes ago, Shak said:

Barnes, Gordon, Almiron and Joelinton seems very short on numbers for a team who asks as much as we do from our front three in terms of pressing the opposition. And Joelinton will be playing plenty of LCM too so it's basically three and a half players for those two spots. Needs to be a lot of rotation of those spots or they're going to burn out after Christmas.

I know we all love Murphy now and all that and I'm happy for him to continue to be a reliable shithouse sub but in terms of starting games I'd hope it'll be domestic cup games and half a dozen starts in case of emergency otherwise.

Right now I think we're thin on numbers, and that's assuming everyone is fully fit. One long term injury and it immediately looks really bad IMO.

If we don't add anyone I'm gonna not get worked up about it, thought we didn't do enough last summer and it was a mistake not getting a CM in January but neither turned out to be true. I'm reasonably confident that Howe has thought about this more than I have so if he thinks we're covered then I'd assume there's a good reason.

We're short of a left back, centre back and right forward (in terms of quality, not quantity). Think a centre back will come in but we do love to leave things for the next window (except a right forward which we never actually sign despite needing one every window since the takeover.)

Edited by Skeletor

7 hours ago, Tiresias said:

Anyone who thinks "But I don’t think they’re the type of signings that the rest of the Premier League would make" is insulting us and not them is has way too much respect for the rest of the leagues competence like 

He actually says "I don't think they're the type of signings the rest of the premier League are seeing and thinking thinking wow" 

I'm not sure why him and Neville are acting like FFP isn't a thing though, talking about all the money we have and how long before 100+ m signings etc. We have the money we just aren't allowed to spend it. 

9 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I mean.. it's not. Only if you look at it in a 1-dimensional manner.

Our approach is unique because our context is unique. There's nothing like this in the history of the sport.

They fear our methods because they don’t understand our methods. 

Oh ok. No they're not they are sensible transfers making us better bit by bit. 

I really think Brighton and Brentford and such show your much complacent mugs run premier League scouting departments. I saw someone saying you'd be shocked how many chairman are obsessed about 'winning' windows and spending the most money or some shit. I'm not that concerned about ffp even after all this because there is plenty of low hanging fruit to improve is and trying to become a league challenging club overnight you will end up like a total clown show or worse Chelsea 

They'd be the first to take the piss and criticise if we went big for the likes of Kane and M'bappe. We stick to the rules, sign promising young talented players to legitimately strengthen the squad, all sensible and fairly modest and we still get criticised. 

I'm beginning to think that no-one likes us very much these days... :lol:

We are in the age of top coaching and intelligent scouting. We have Howe and Ashworth who are excellent at each role respectively.

The age of lazy high price 'marquee' signings is over if you want to make real progress.

They just don't get it. 

3 hours ago, Shak said:

I’ve been wanting us to sign a RW in every window since the takeover. Surely next summer’s marguee signing has to be that. :lol: RCB probably a bigger emergency right now and think we’ll get someone in this window.

Edited by Pata

4 hours ago, Shak said:

Aye Murphy is due for some serious minutes.   It what I wanted but seems it will happen. 

It is what it is.  

57 minutes ago, KaKa said:

We are in the age of top coaching and intelligent scouting. We have Howe and Ashworth who are excellent at each role respectively.

The age of lazy high price 'marquee' signings is over if you want to make real progress.

They just don't get it. 

I agree with this. But we haven’t been as ‘smart’ in the transfer market in terms of unearthing gems as I thought we would be. 

Barnes and Tino were logical and predictable signings.  And then we’ve signed the Milan captain for a premium.  I expected us to do more Botman & Bruno type deals and the type of signings at Brighton. 

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Willock not mentioned. He was our main wide man most of last season 🙂

Aye terrible post from SHAK imo. Misses off several players who played a decent number of minutes on the wing for a team that finished 4th. 

Murphy did well too last season. I think the problem we have with RW is that last season we rotated players in form to get us through. Almiron was on fire until January and kinda went off the boil a bit, then Murphy had a purple patch towards the end of the season. We need to put a quality RW in there who will play most of the season. We know Miggy and Murphy aren't all that long-term.

Think of Almiron's form last season and how many points we got from it. If he or someone else can replicate that this season we'll fall behind compared to last year. We need someone who can be relied upon to deliver that consistently. Players like that cost a fair bit and we've obviously got FFP limitations but I think we missed a trick with Diaby going for £50m, we'll see. 

6 minutes ago, Decky said:

Murphy did well too last season. I think the problem we have with RW is that last season we rotated players in form to get us through. Almiron was on fire until January and kinda went off the boil a bit, then Murphy had a purple patch towards the end of the season. We need to put a quality RW in there who will play most of the season. We know Miggy and Murphy aren't all that long-term.

Think of Almiron's form last season and how many points we got from it. If he or someone else can replicate that this season we'll fall behind compared to last year. We need someone who can be relied upon to deliver that consistently. Players like that cost a fair bit and we've obviously got FFP limitations but I think we missed a trick with Diaby going for £50m, we'll see. 

Agree with this. Some on here are convinced Miggy is a top 6 level player and will be able to replicate his league output. He scored 11 last season in the league,I doubt he'll get 10 but would love to be proved wrong.

The more I think about our preseason the more disappointed I get with Targett. He should have came back one of the fittest, and like Anderson and Gordon have done, given the manager a real selection headache. Instead, he's looked slow and off the pace and has instead ensured Dan Burn has the left back position locked down for the foreseeable. 

This is with the massive caveat that I don't have access to the data and knowledge the club have, but I'd be interested to know what his fitness is like compared to before his layoff last season. From the outside looking in, and with the way FFP works, I'd probably look to sell him in order to be able to bring in the best left back we can find.