NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

14 minutes ago, Paully said:

Phillips on loan is a total no-brainer - he was arguably England's best player at the last Euro's and Eddie would work wonders with him!

Agreed. Got to sort his “hair crime” out though. Menace to society with that going on! 

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Anderson has stepped it up. If Willock is fit. Miley progressing. Hall is also a CM. Do we really need another CM in that mould?

Howe 8's we have: Willock, Joelinton, Longstaff, Anderson and potentially Hall too. Do we need Phillips over Anderson?

I guess Tonali is also cover at 6 too though.

Thought Phillips was a DM.

Great player somewhere in there - was standout player for Leeds' Bielsa shows me he can run/press - however, Pep has him nowhere near his first XI for a reason. Don't think he's that great, playing alongside more technical/creative/talented players at City has shown him up - he was dross and hid against us when we played them. (City Forums tell) 

I'd happily sign Phillips if he bossed and ran City's B team midfield against us, but he was rubbish. 

Moving to Man City has probably ruined him. He's this incarnation of the Jack Rodwell, Scott Sinclair...

20 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Anderson has stepped it up. If Willock is fit. Miley progressing. Hall is also a CM. Do we really need another CM in that mould?

Howe 8's we have: Willock, Joelinton, Longstaff, Anderson and potentially Hall too. Do we need Phillips over Anderson?

I guess Tonali is also cover at 6 too though.

Phillips is a DM not a #8 though. He can also do a job at CB.

I think he's a repair job which worries me because we haven't really gone for these kind of big club cast offs. But he arguably gives us a bit more balance in midfield options as somebody who can genuinely play #6.

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Don't massively rate Phillips but would definitely take him loan-to-buy if we're going to be without Tonali for the rest of the season. I think Howe rates him.

We need numbers in midfield. Miley isn't ready.

This is where I'm at.  No idea if it would be doable with FFP, or if City would even be keen on it.  Plus I'm guessing wages might be a stumbling block.  But we currently only have Bruno that can play the deeper role in Howe's midfield. 

As a stop gap, with an option to buy, it is quite appealing.  If he rediscovers his Leeds form.  Then he would be well worth buying at the end of it if the price wasn't daft. 

6 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I think he's a repair job which worries me because we haven't really gone for these kind of big club cast offs. But he arguably gives us a bit more balance in midfield options as somebody who can genuinely play #6.

Fair enough, then. 

We would change to a 4-1-4-1 formation if we got Phillips, kind of like the chelsea set up when Kante was there.

The front five would be pretty formidible:

Miggy--Bruno--Joe--Gordon

‐-‐-------Isak---------

Phillips is a very good fit in terms of style and ability, he played Bielsa ball effectively enough for 3 seasons to earn a move to Man City.. in terms of pressing intensity you don’t get much closer to our style than what Bielsa deployed at Leeds. Yes he is more of an out and out DM than what we have and would not offer what Bruno does going forward but he is technically very tidy, he has quick feet and shifts the ball nicely. Playing him at 6 would allow the 2 in front in a 4-3-3 midfield some more freedom. 

He’d also seemingly settle right in, knows the league inside out and will already know the England lads from our squad. It makes a whole lot of sense.

Edited by Nine

6 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Howay, Phillips is never a CB! 

He made his standing/name/reputation/move to City from playing in a very good Bielsa Leeds' side. He was incredible at dropping in between centre backs then playing that long diagonal. 'Yorkshire Pirlo' was the cry. Since stepping up a level, training with Pep/Man City his career/talent has dropped off a cliff. There is a reason Rico Lewis is going to get more minutes as a CM/DM for Man City - he's better!

Southgate will be blind to see that. Rico Lewis is far too good for U21 level, ahead of Phillips at Man City - but 33 year old Hendo will rob another cap, rather than promoting from a winning U21 side. Players from U21 are actually playing week in week out in top sides in the PL, and playing well - Cole Palmer, Anthony Gordon, Rico Lewis etc.

1 minute ago, MorganBarasi said:

Howay, Phillips is never a CB! 

He made his standing/name/reputation/move to City from playing in a very good Bielsa Leeds' side. He was incredible at dropping in between centre backs then playing that long diagonal. 'Yorkshire Pirlo' was the cry. Since stepping up a level, training with Pep/Man City his career/talent has dropped off a cliff. There is a reason Rico Lewis is going to get more minutes as a CM/DM for Man City - he's better!

Southgate will be blind to see that. Rico Lewis is far too good for U21 level, ahead of Phillips at Man City - but 33 year old Hendo will rob another cap, rather than promoting from a winning U21 side. Players from U21 are actually playing week in week out in top sides in the PL, and playing well - Cole Palmer, Anthony Gordon, Rico Lewis etc.

I have definitely watched him play CB for Leeds - particularly in their Championship promotion season he played about half of the season there. Not sure he's done it often in the PL and I'm not saying that's what should happen - more making the point that he operates in that area of the pitch not further forward.

Agree with everything else. I'm not convinced by him and worried he'd be a career repair job we could do without. But as a stop gap he might be OK.

40 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I have definitely watched him play CB for Leeds - particularly in their Championship promotion season he played about half of the season there. Not sure he's done it often in the PL and I'm not saying that's what should happen - more making the point that he operates in that area of the pitch not further forward.

Agree with everything else. I'm not convinced by him and worried he'd be a career repair job we could do without. But as a stop gap he might be OK.

He never played as an actual CB. Pontus Jansson, Liam Cooper, Ben White were centre backs.

I know what you mean, he played for Bielsa in that half midfielder/quarter back role, dropping between CBs He was great at it - Yorshire Pirlo. Bielsa's tactics are incredible when they work - Bilbao vs. Man U at Old Trafford!

Move to Man City is what he's probably dreamed of - but he can't get a game under the greatest manager of our time. Pep would rather give minutes to a young lad like Rico Lewis who's come through Pep's Man City/Barca way than play Phillips.

Moving to Man City from Leeds has now priced his contract terms sky high. Like Lingard -ability is 8-15 in the PL, but priced at £100k plus is bonkers. Fair play to the lad getting his money, but like Sinclair, Rodwell he's never getting a better contract than at Man City - he's gone from being great to barely kicking a ball. Man City will be a career finisher - as was Rodwell's.

Edited by MorganBarasi

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Well I've just looked at transfermarkt and he played as an orthodox CB in a back four on a number of occasions as well as playing in a back three. I agree it's not his primary role.

I'll bow down to transfermarkt's facts - but I've never seen Phillips play as a CB. Watched Leeds plenty live under Bielsa - Phillips was different level in that team - but never a CB.

His failure at Man City is honestly sad. He can run and work like fuck as a midfielder - he played midfield for Biesla!!

Going to Man City has shown up Phillips isn't an elite player. We shouldn't be thinking about players that aren't/or can't reach elite level.  

Rodri for me is the best player in the league. Don't understand why nobody has tried to have a dedicated player with high stamina just stick to him like glue for 90 minutes. No surprise Phillips isn't getting a lot of playing time.