NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

7 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Rodri for me is the best player in the league. Don't understand why nobody has tried to have a dedicated player with high stamina just stick to him like glue for 90 minutes. No surprise Phillips isn't getting a lot of playing time. 

Rodri is Pep, Busquets was Pep. There is another Rodri in the wings - Rico Lewis?

Agreed - Rodri is the best DM midfielder in the PL by far.

It's only good for us that Chelsea spent 120M for Enzo (Bruno is better) - 110M Caicado (Longstaff is better)

Chelsea and Man U will continue to spunk billions on players - Eddie Howe/Newcastle, Man City approach - value for money.

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

I have definitely watched him play CB for Leeds - particularly in their Championship promotion season he played about half of the season there. Not sure he's done it often in the PL and I'm not saying that's what should happen - more making the point that he operates in that area of the pitch not further forward.

Agree with everything else. I'm not convinced by him and worried he'd be a career repair job we could do without. But as a stop gap he might be OK.

1 hour ago, MorganBarasi said:

He never played as an actual CB. Pontus Jansson, Liam Cooper, Ben White were centre backs.

I know what you mean, he played for Bielsa in that half midfielder/quarter back role, dropping between CBs He was great at it - Yorshire Pirlo. Bielsa's tactics are incredible when they work - Bilbao vs. Man U at Old Trafford!

Move to Man City is what he's probably dreamed of - but he can't get a game under the greatest manager of our time. Pep would rather give minutes to a young lad like Rico Lewis who's come through Pep's Man City/Barca way than play Phillips.

Moving to Man City from Leeds has now priced his contract terms sky high. Like Lingard -ability is 8-15 in the PL, but priced at £100k plus is bonkers. Fair play to the lad getting his money, but like Sinclair, Rodwell he's never getting a better contract than at Man City - he's gone from being great to barely kicking a ball. Man City will be a career finisher - as was Rodwell's.

Full disclosure here, I'm a Leeds fan. Not here to troll or anything - just wanted to clear up around Kalvin. He did play CB for us in a 4 quite a lot under Bielsa but it was almost always in the first season, the season before the promotion season. That tended to be a bit of a last resort, the CBs that year (Cooper, Jansson, Berardi) were an injury prone lot. In a back 3 (which we always switched to when we occasionally played vs a team with 2 strikers) he would play as the third centre back naturally (Bielsa called the CDM role the 'third defender' regularly in press conferences).

From the promotion season onwards Kalvin only played CB in a back 4 in strange injury crises. He was always otherwise a CDM or CB in a three (and he didn't always end up doing that either, Bielsa started arranging the team in other ways when we used a back 3).

I think Kalvin would work well for your team. Mobile guy, good presser, can really ping a pass well. He's not the first good player who doesn't fit Guardiola's team, but it doesn't mean he's not good. Tbh I think their scouting team misunderstood who he was a bit based on Bielsa's system, but all that means is that he isn't Rodri. Loan in Jan, esp if Tonali gets banned, makes lots of sense.

If there's anything wrong with his attitude, Trippier, Wilson and Pope will know about it. So that's the end of that nonsense.

It was always an odd signing for City. They like to pass the opposition to death, which just isn't Phillips game. He's much more suited to the likes of us or Liverpool, where it's about running power and pressing.

Given the 40m sums for Barnes and Gordon etc. I think if we could get him for that, I'd be a no brainer. If we can get him on loan first, all the better.

If we did get him on loan or whatever, surely he'd sit as the deepest midfielder, couldn't see him in front of Bruno

It would maybe open the door further for hall/livramento to be our full backs playing as wing backs, with Phillips dropping in to be the 3rd centre back.... As it would seem a bit over the top imo to have burn as a 3rd centre back with Phillips sitting in front 

6 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

No brainer to bring Phillips in in January, that is if Pep will let him go which I very much doubt he will.

If he sanctioned the young lad to Chelsea I'm sure we'll be okay going after Phillips.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

56 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

No brainer to bring Phillips in in January, that is if Pep will let him go which I very much doubt he will.

They have sold Jesus and Zinchenko to Arsenal, Sterling and Palmer to Chelsea. Why would he stop a player who plays less than all of them for him from coming here ? 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

They have sold Jesus and Zinchenko to Arsenal, Sterling and Palmer to Chelsea. Why would he stop a player who plays less than all of them for him from coming here ? 

Just thinking he might be reluctant to let anyone go in January, we all know how difficult it is to sign players this time of the year?

Just now, black_n_white said:

Just thinking he might be reluctant to let anyone go in January, we all know how difficult it is to sign players this time of the year?

He let Cancelo go last January, I’d be amazed if Phillips isn’t allowed to go. 

21 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

He let Cancelo go last January, I’d be amazed if Phillips isn’t allowed to go. 

Guess it's not quite the same situation since Cancelo fell out with Pep massively.

16 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Phillips looks so unfit :lol:

He wouldn't even get a game for us until the end of the season based fitness alone :lol:

If that was the case Pep wouldn't even have him on the bench. If there's one team we can sign a player from and not be worried about their fitness it's Man City.