NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Phillips is 100% what this team needs if we can get him cooking under Eddie. Can ping the ball about, athleticism is good, and I’m sure can help us keep the fucking ball far more. Frees Bruno up to play as an 8 as an alternative too. 

39 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Phillips is 100% what this team needs if we can get him cooking under Eddie. Can ping the ball about, athleticism is good, and I’m sure can help us keep the fucking ball far more. Frees Bruno up to play as an 8 as an alternative too. 

Next season?

Tonali.                          Bruno 
                 Philips.   

5 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

Next season?

Tonali.                          Bruno 
                 Philips.   

there’s going to be matches where you want Joelinton or willock or Longstaff in there too though. If Bruno goes to an 8 we need an elite 6 and we need an elite right winger imo. 

15 hours ago, Away Toon said:

A fit and motivated Phillips is an elite 6, at his best better than Rice when they played together for England. I don't think that either Willock of Joe are particularly good in midfield so not sure why you would want them in there.

I agree I think a fully fit Phillips would be a great addition and having a designated 6 in the squad would be a bonus. 

I think an elite right winger and new striker are key moving forwards and they need to work out what they do in midfield between now and next season with Tonali’s absence. They also need to work out a plan B when Beuno is out. I imagine Tonali was probably the plan B so in the short term a Phillips loan(? With option to buy) wouod help sure things up even if he’s a completely different type of player to what we have already. 

Over next two windows: RW, striker, midfielder, right sided CB

Edited by ExiledGeordie

14 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Philips being better than rice is an absolutely mental take btw :lol:

Only if you can't read. The lad clearly says that at one point Phillips was performing better than Rice in the England set up. At one point it was close.

43 minutes ago, STM said:

Only if you can't read. The lad clearly says that at one point Phillips was performing better than Rice in the England set up. At one point it was close.

Rice is a monster of a player but Phillips wasn’t far off him not long ago as you say. I think he’s lost his way a little recently, the transfer to City always seemed like an odd one. I mean I guess a fat contract and being involved in a winning side is something but he was never going to play regularly. Stick him in our side, fit and hungry and allow Bruno to still dictate play with someone else in midfield and it gives us real options. Equally if they aren’t interested in him then fine but it seems like a sensible signing if they can get him. 

15 minutes ago, arnonel said:

We need a midfielder who can evade a press. Bruno is the only one right now, and it showed on Sat

I feel like Willock can as well, but he's obviously not up to speed yet. But yes, we need someone else of Bruno's quality, aside from Tonali who I would hope can be at that level when he's back.

1 hour ago, STM said:

Your right, a handful of irrelevant games not even worthy of mention. :thup:

From the little I know about Dan Ashworth, I can say two things for certain - he is very, very good at his job and he does not speak in public unless absolutely necessary. 

Considering those two factors, I'd be really surprised if our masterplan was to bring Neves in on a cheap loan in January, only for Ashworth to torpedo those plans in November by very publicly saying "Oh well, there's nothing in the rules currently *wink wink* that stops us from loaning players from Saudi clubs"

I have no idea what sort of 4D chess is going on here, but that much I am certain about.