NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

But if we are all accepting it's borderline to June 30th, all those players above are passing another year of amortisation, we sell some players for 'pure FFP profit' and we have some new revenues, and then every new signing is Xm/5 year contract, could it not be that we actually are more comfortable than folk think? We'll only know come Sep 1.

Posted (edited)

Barkley has done well this season but long term I think we'd be better off developing Anderson/Miley.

It's the sort of short-sighted signing I'd expect from a Man U/Everton/other badly run football club.

Edited by Smal

I'm big on the signing of Tosin as he has pace, is decent on the ball is a good blend of Lascelles & Schar. Underlying stats show:

Interceptor, keeps possessions well, wins most headers
Accurate short passes similar to Botman/Gabriel
High up on long passes (but behind Schar/Andersen/Van Dijk)
He's also only missed 12 games in 5 years which was a single groin injury.

Very against the signing of Kelly. He's missed 89 games in the past 5 seasons (just under half!) with a variety of injuries.
His skillset is similar to Burn but his underlying stats are concerning:

Not many tackles/interceptions, tends to keep it simple, wins half of his competed headers, lots of inaccurate long balls, and just few passes in general. Smells like a basic player who doesn't get involved in the play much. Whoscored lists passing and crossing as a weakness.

We already have Burn and Dummett - Kelly will be 26 soon so has 6 years on them but I would sooner we got Tosin + an out and out left back and/or young centre back.

In fairness Bournemouth fans think he's solid enough, he doesn't have a rick in him - just would be a bit underwhelmed by the signing as defence is definitely an area we need to up the quality and simultaneously bring down the average age.

Posted (edited)

I'd be looking at this summer:

Backup GK - sell Dubravka, release Karius

LB - sell Targett - Sergi Cardona on a free?
CB - Tosin free + a project player, release Dummett
CDM - out and out robust DM - sell Longstaff, release Hendrick/Hayden
RW - an Anthony Gordon-esque signing, sell Almiron, keep Minteh around as U21/rotation
Young CF - for Academy with view of making it to the bench during the season

Edited by OhSholaAmeobi

44 minutes ago, Steve Charlton said:

Ross Barkley on a free? Played well for Luton when ive seen em

It's a good shout, but I think he's one of those players that just needs to be playing week in and week out to maintain any sort of form

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Chris_R said:

We likely have little to no money.

We've already kicked the FFP can down the road in previous windows by saying "we'll just amortise it over future seasons", well this summer is one of those "future seasons" and we've still got to find 1/4 or 1/5 of the transfer fees for each of Bruno, Isak, Gordon, Trippier, Barnes, Livramento, Hall, Burn, Botman etc because we haven't fully paid for them yet.

If you do kick the can down the road, as we've seemingly done, you can't then pretend the fees for everything after that initial year don't exist. Those commitments have not gone away and until some of these transfers drop off (which will be at least another couple of years) and we're not paying for them anymore, we're a bit fucked.

Yes we'll likely increase revenue a bit which will help, plus there's the CL money, but tbh the CL money is a one-off (so far) and won't be replicated next year so shouldn't form part of a multi-year transfer strategy. Hopefully we can shift some of the deadwood but let's be honest, we've not exactly had a queue form for any of them so far and I can't see that changing in the summer. Our only outgoing of any note for years has been ASM.

Our amortisation and intangibles charge for 22/23 last set of accounts is known, and the projection for future yrs based on player acquisitions is clearly shown. Of course we add on Tonali, Livra and Barnes to those figures and hall from 24/25 onwards, but get ffp profit back on Maxi and Chris Wood, and any sales we make this summer. It’s common knowledge we are close to limits for 23/24 but we are growing commercial revenue, and salary’s appear to be sensible. The key is continuing to grow our revenue, and staggering when we make signings. We benefit from the 21/22 ffp overspend falling off when next years accounts are published.

We can’t throw it around like the Manchester clubs and Liverpool, but we have a quality management team and owners who know what they are doing. I can’t tell this forum what we have to spend as a lot of the financials are confidential at this stage, but we will have some money to spend, and I am confident they will continue to grow the club.

It is important we qualify for Europe, otherwise an Olise type signing could be a struggle. A good deep run in either competition to semis or beyond would likely bring in similar money to this years champions league group stage.

Then we have to stay in the top 6 continually, otherwise it could get tight.

The key to really competing is probably regular top 6 finishes, a revamped stadium (or ticket price including season tickets increases)  continually increasing our commercial deals and clever player trading, unless the rules change again.

Edited by Pablo

Annoying that PSG have earned something like 107m from the champions league this season, despite only winning 5 games.

They don't get that dodgy pen, we go into the last game needing a point for 2nd rather than a point for 3rd.
They then played an under-par-this-year Sociedad and Barca - we would have raked the cash in from those games.

The way coefficients work is quite corrupt, another example of the old rich staying rich.

Old rich relative to us, as I accept PSG are also new rich.

rules bought in to stop another Chelsea, Man City or PSG… basically to stop us.

Just now, OhSholaAmeobi said:

Annoying that PSG have earned something like 107m from the champions league this season, despite only winning 5 games.

They don't get that dodgy pen, we go into the last game needing a point for 2nd rather than a point for 3rd.
They then played an under-par-this-year Sociedad and Barca - we would have raked the cash in from those games.

With the injuries we had I'm not sure we'd have beaten Sociadad like. It'd have probably had a knock on effect on our league form too.

50 minutes ago, Smal said:

Barkley has done well this season but long term I think we'd be better off developing Anderson/Miley.

It's the sort of short-sighted signing I'd expect from a Man U/Everton/other badly run football club.

Could get Barkley in for a year as number 5-6 midfielder, send Miley out for a year to help his development?

2 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Ross fucking Barkley [emoji38]

It's probably funny in the past but he's been genuinely top notch this season. I wouldn't bother with it as it's not really long term thinking but this year's Barkley would have been useful 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Could get Barkley in for a year as number 5-6 midfielder, send Miley out for a year to help his development?

imo Miley is better off learning from our coaching staff than going out on loan now.

He's had his first taste of Prem football and looks technically ready already - it's now just about doing the physical and tactical work that our coaches are so keen on to get players ready for the first team. 

Crazy how much it would transform us getting a keeper like that, don't think some people quite realise. Pressing us would be much harder with almost an extra outfield player, that can also distribute well for our quick transitions.

Probably seems a waste to some as Pope is quality and might not seem an area with any rush to improve but it would be huge for us imo. Trippier/Bruno/Isak levels in terms of a boost.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Smal said:

imo Miley is better off learning from our coaching staff than going out on loan now.

He's had his first taste of Prem football and looks technically ready already - it's now just about doing the physical and tactical work that our coaches are so keen on to get players ready for the first team. 

Only issue I have with that, he’s young and needs to be playing. A year of coaching is well and good, but if he’s not even going to be playing u23 games and gets like 200 mins across the season, that’s quite a bit of stagnation. Either needs to be out on loan, or with u23s quite a bit, if he’s going to be 6th or 7th choice CM next season.

Edited by Sibierski