NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

I think it's entirely possible we are now into a selling phase of the window. We have so much shite to shift that it's natural to assume the club is busy trying to offload wages and fringe players.

Once we have a clear picture of space in the squad + financial wriggle room, we will go again.

I'm certainly of the opinion that we might end up with only 1 or 2 more. I think it's depending on outgoings. For example, if West Ham come in for Lascelles, does that free up space to move for a CB? If we can loan out Lewis can we move on a LB. Frasers wages are quite big, I'm sure all of these thing are part of a big puzzle.

11 minutes ago, Shak said:

I could see us signing another CM instead of a winger.

It depends on where we see Joelinton playing most of his football, really.

If we want to play Joelinton on the LW, he and ASM is a pretty good pair of options. Then Gordon and Miggy on the right. You'd also potentially have Isak playing off Wilson in one of the wide roles too.

Would leave us with Tonali, Bruno, Willock and Longstaff in CM. Four players for three spots is very thin so spending on another CM makes some sense?

Would likely lead to some frustration next year as we'd still lack a bit of guile in our wingers but add a LB too and we'd be solid as fuck at the back and in the middle.

Then focus on adding some top quality wingers next summer when we can hopefully push the boat out a bit more financially and won't have so many holes in the squad.

LW is stocked. We know Big Joe and Little Joe can operate there and Howe put Isak there. Then we have Gordon, ASM, Almiron, even Murphy at a push.

The right side is more problematic. I think little Joe has played there hasn't he? Another young versatile right sided forward would be good.

As I’ve said before it’s basically impossible to buy domestically for a reasonable price anymore unless a team is actively looking to sell. 

May boil over in a few years if players feel they are being blocked in their career progression. Someone like Pacqueta could reasonably expect to play a top tier club at some point in his career but now is at risk of basically being stuck at West Ham unless someone slaps 100m down. 

2 minutes ago, Adam P said:

Re: Cucurella

Curly Hair (yes)

Shag his wife (yes) 

Love of my life (no) 

Restraining order against me by August (yes)

3 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

£40m :lol:  

next.

I'm shocked that anyone thinks that's a high price for a quality CB, certainly one playing for a PL club. It's 2023. 

We've just seen Brentford shell out 23m for Collins. On that basis, 40m on Andersen who was universally praised seems fair enough.

1 minute ago, GeordieDazzler said:

As I’ve said before it’s basically impossible to buy domestically for a reasonable price anymore unless a team is actively looking to sell. 

May boil over in a few years if players feel they are being blocked in their career progression. Someone like Pacqueta could reasonably expect to play a top tier club at some point in his career but now is at risk of basically being stuck at West Ham unless someone slaps 100m down. 

I totally agree. Value is very much abroad but then so is the risk.

However I would also say that it works two ways. Don't be surprised if we are given 15m for Lascelles. 40m for Andersen won't look so bad on that basis.

It sort of feel that the wedge you make from selling decent youngsters down the league covers you for making these sort of deals, if that makes sense.

Chelsea, City, Liverpool etc can pay that little bit extra that prices us out on a domestic player as they can likely sell a youth player for 15m+ who’s never gonna properly break into the team (or perhaps is never intended to). 

You can tell that’s where we are putting a lot of effort in.

32 minutes ago, BeloEmre said:

Whos the other club? Cant see any of them making this deal. Manu need a striker, Chelsea dont need anyone, Arsenal Timber, Spurs the Wolfsburg player. Liverpool? Aint no ceiling at that club so maybe 

11 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Whos the other club? Cant see any of them making this deal. Manu need a striker, Chelsea dont need anyone, Arsenal Timber, Spurs the Wolfsburg player. Liverpool? Aint no ceiling at that club so maybe 

Probably brighton. Who come sixth this year? 

55 minutes ago, STM said:

I think it's entirely possible we are now into a selling phase of the window. We have so much shite to shift that it's natural to assume the club is busy trying to offload wages and fringe players.

Once we have a clear picture of space in the squad + financial wriggle room, we will go again.

I'm certainly of the opinion that we might end up with only 1 or 2 more. I think it's depending on outgoings. For example, if West Ham come in for Lascelles, does that free up space to move for a CB? If we can loan out Lewis can we move on a LB. Frasers wages are quite big, I'm sure all of these thing are part of a big puzzle.

Im not sure we’re quite there yet but I agree this will definitely form a bulk of the window. I think we’ll bring in (or our budget will allow for) at least one more top player and then the scenario you’ve highlighted will develop. 

59 minutes ago, STM said:

I'd prefer if Lascelles doesn't go, those yellow cards last year were great 

1 hour ago, Shak said:

I could see us signing another CM instead of a winger.

It depends on where we see Joelinton playing most of his football, really.

If we want to play Joelinton on the LW, he and ASM is a pretty good pair of options. Then Gordon and Miggy on the right. You'd also potentially have Isak playing off Wilson in one of the wide roles too.

Would leave us with Tonali, Bruno, Willock and Longstaff in CM. Four players for three spots is very thin so spending on another CM makes some sense?

Would likely lead to some frustration next year as we'd still lack a bit of guile in our wingers but add a LB too and we'd be solid as fuck at the back and in the middle.

Then focus on adding some top quality wingers next summer when we can hopefully push the boat out a bit more financially and won't have so many holes in the squad.

This is a viable route. B UT leaves us with 2 problems (assuming Thuram

is the added midfielder). 

1. Bruno is still the only CM that is creative from open play, who can constantly make those line splitting passes.  
2. ASM is the only winger with any guile or massive creativity. 

In that scenario we are still short of a passer.  Whether CM or wide. That Szo/JM profile. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

This is a viable route. B UT leaves us with 2 problems (assuming Thuram

is the added midfielder). 

1. Bruno is still the only CM that is creative from open play, who can constantly make those line splitting passes.  
2. ASM is the only winger with any guile or massive creativity. 

In that scenario we are still short of a passer.  Whether CM or wide. That Szo/JM profile. 

I don’t think we’ll see isak playing out wide as much next season as he’ll be getting rotated on striker duties with extra games and us only having two.

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

I'd prefer if Lascelles doesn't go, those yellow cards last year were great 

Every player that gets listed to go - there’s always people saying they want them to start but if we want to improve then some people need to go so we can get better in.

46 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

It sort of feel that the wedge you make from selling decent youngsters down the league covers you for making these sort of deals, if that makes sense.

Chelsea, City, Liverpool etc can pay that little bit extra that prices us out on a domestic player as they can likely sell a youth player for 15m+ who’s never gonna properly break into the team (or perhaps is never intended to). 

It’s a cheat code for FFP.  City have flogged about £100m worth of youth player in 2 years.  

Arsenal will do it to circumvent FFP.  

Problem is that it takes 5+ years to come to fruition.  More like 10+ in fact. 

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

Every player that gets listed to go - there’s always people saying they want them to start but if we want to improve then some people need to go so we can get better in.

But what if any of our players need football punching into them

45 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

It feels like such an easier game to play once you’re at that established level. There’s such a high bar to be in the squad that more often than not you’re just turning them over.

We’re at a point right now where you’re still really hoping a player like Anderson or Miley can contribute to the squad, plus it’s not like there are another five right behind them. It makes you hesitate to send them on loan and reluctant to sell whereas a player of Anderson’s quality at Liverpool or Arsenal would be loaned a couple times, generate some hype, and then sold for double digit millions. Rinse and repeat until you land on a Saka or a Foden.

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We should really flog a couple to KSA

The majority of players going to Saudi are all Muslim. If only we had Papiss Cisse, Hatem Ben Arfa, Massadio Haidara, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, Moussa Sissoko and Mehdi Abeid up for sale, we’d be laughing right now.

Unfortunately, we’ve got a load of deadwood, non-Muslims, on massive wages, who we are having to pay off to kindly leave. 

Terrible situation for us.

Edited by Toon88

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

It feels like such an easier game to play once you’re at that established level. There’s such a high bar to be in the squad that more often than not you’re just turning them over.

We’re at a point right now where you’re still really hoping a player like Anderson or Miley can contribute to the squad, plus it’s not like there are another five right behind them. It makes you hesitate to send them on loan and reluctant to sell whereas a player of Anderson’s quality at Liverpool or Arsenal would be loaned a couple times, generate some hype, and then sold for double digit millions. Rinse and repeat until you land on a Saka or a Foden.

Real Madrid ran the academy like that for decades. They still kind of do.