NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Will be delighted to see the back of June. Can actually look forward to preseason and a couple of new signings.

More excited to see a fit tonali and Barnes. As long as we get a cb obviously, not that I'm going to be complaining if we sign someone for RW with genuine pace

On 17/06/2024 at 20:25, Dr Jinx said:

No it's snippets of quotes from those at the club. They'd have known in January if they were in bother and would have acted accordingly. It's tight enough that we couldn't spend much.

Leaving it with 2 weeks to go before they might potentially get a fine and a points deduction (if an outgoing transfer didn't work out) is not how they operate.

So common sense tells that we're on the right side of it. You disagree?

Looks like we do indeed need to sell.

I find some of the Barnes comments pretty harsh. Aye, he had an underwhelming first season, but this was largely due to injury. The injury then allowed Gordon a chance to nail down that left side they were probably going to compete for. 

But even then, coming on as an impact sub, he probably won us 4 points (West Ham win, Luton draw). Was irrelevant after the FA Cup, but this was the difference between 7th and 8th. I know he is more limited than Gordon, but he is great to have in the squad.

16 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I find some of the Barnes comments pretty harsh. Aye, he had an underwhelming first season, but this was largely due to injury. The injury then allowed Gordon a chance to nail down that left side they were probably going to compete for. 

But even then, coming on as an impact sub, he probably won us 4 points (West Ham win, Luton draw). Was irrelevant after the FA Cup, but this was the difference between 7th and 8th. I know he is more limited than Gordon, but he is great to have in the squad.

It's as if they've never actually watched him play for us and just looked at his injury record. The lack of respect is ridiculous. He's the only player in that mould we have and he'll contribute even more next season. 

Is anyone actually calling Barnes bad or anything like that? Or are people saying right guy wrong time?

An easy way to look at it is, how much of what we bought contributed as much as expected? Ultimately we had an extremely poor return on our spend last summer for a myriad of reason. 

Doesn’t mean they won’t shine this year though or they are bad however. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Is anyone actually calling Barnes bad or anything like that? Or are people saying right guy wrong time?

An easy way to look at it is, how much of what we bought contributed as much as expected? Ultimately we had an extremely poor return on our spend last summer for a myriad of reason. 

This is fair enough, but some people seem willing/eager to get rid at the drop of a hat. It's madness. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Yep.  Hall looked like a dud until the last month or so of the season; I thought Livramento often flattered to deceive, but is young and clearly talented; Barnes is one-dimensional and suffered from injuries (though that one-dimensionality is still an asset - he's the most direct wide player in the squad, so gives another option); Tonali hopefully will work out but didn't pull up any trees when he played - and then ...

I'm in agreement though - perhaps all four will have blinding seasons this year.  Certainly hope so.

9 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

When Barnes played he largely did what we expected he would and probably better tbh.

Crucial against West Ham and the finish into the bottom corner was as fantastic.

Not an original point but fuck I absolutely loved that goal.

Among the squad I think he's got quite a unique technique in how he strikes the ball; just hits it so clean and true, and that strike was the perfect example. 

It went over but he pinged one against Blackburn in the cup which was similar in how it absolutely flew. 

Looking forward to seeing more of him next season. Optimistic that he'll have a good one. 

You know that fact about how if you win the lottery you're much more likely to fall out with friends and family, take things for granted, become paranoid, suffer from depression, lose your mind, turn to addiction, lose who you are and kill yourself etc?

Anyway, how are you all handling Newcastle's summer transfer window so far?

Edited by Kid Icarus

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep.  Hall looked like a dud until the last month or so of the season; I thought Livramento often flattered to deceive, but is young and clearly talented; Barnes is one-dimensional and suffered from injuries (though that one-dimensionality is still an asset - he's the most direct wide player in the squad, so gives another option); Tonali hopefully will work out but didn't pull up any trees when he played - and then ...

I'm in agreement though - perhaps all four will have blinding seasons this year.  Certainly hope so.

I think you’re being harsh personally. 

Hall looked suspect defensively without a doubt but I thought he looked good on the ball from day 1. Ultimately I close an eye as it was a loan and didn’t count much towards this years FFP. 

I really like Barnes he can really offer a lot of threat, I think he’s shown he is primarily a goal scorer but he can score quite the variety of goals. Was he what we needed last summer? Probably not but I take nothing away from his ability. 

Tonali, as I write this he’s the worst signing in the clubs history and it isn’t close. I really hope that changes but as of now what he’s cost us is eye watering. 

Tino, I love Tino for me he’s the future but his injuries concern me, he’s had a couple of niggles and I really hope he isn’t fragile because for me he’s got it all. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I think you’re being harsh personally. 

Hall looked suspect defensively without a doubt but I thought he looked good on the ball from day 1. Ultimately I close an eye as it was a loan and didn’t count much towards this years FFP. 

I really like Barnes he can really offer a lot of threat, I think he’s shown he is primarily a goal scorer but he can score quite the variety of goals. Was he what we needed last summer? Probably not but I take nothing away from his ability. 

Tonali, as I write this he’s the worst signing in the clubs history and it isn’t close. I really hope that changes but as of now what he’s cost us is eye watering. 

Tino, I love Tino for me he’s the future but his injuries concern me, he’s had a couple of niggles and I really hope he isn’t fragile because for me he’s got it all. 

I really like Barnes - but he is one-dimensional.  No issue with that for me - he's direct - the lad is always looking to find a position from which to shoot.  It is something many players in the modern game lack.

Hall and Livramento are for the future - but in the immediate term, I didn't view them as resounding successes.  I'm confident they will be.

Agreed re Tonali - hopefully in a few years' time we can wax lyrical about the career the lad had on Tyneside after a nightmare start.  But as it stands - he's up there.

14 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Not an original point but fuck I absolutely loved that goal.

Among the squad I think he's got quite a unique technique in how he strikes the ball; just hits it so clean and true, and that strike was the perfect example. 

It went over but he pinged one against Blackburn in the cup which was similar in how it absolutely flew. 

Looking forward to seeing more of him next season. Optimistic that he'll have a good one. 

Totally agree with this. I often feel odd saying 'X player won us these specific points' but I do feel like Barnes is one of/the only player in the squad who takes that shot on at that time in the game. And has the ability to execute in the way he did.

33 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Totally agree with this. I often feel odd saying 'X player won us these specific points' but I do feel like Barnes is one of/the only player in the squad who takes that shot on at that time in the game. And has the ability to execute in the way he did.

Definitely. His sub that game was a turning point in the season too.

1 hour ago, sushimonster85 said:

Yup.

Gordon had a great break out season, but there was absolutely no guarantees that would be the case. He was very much somewhat of a raw prospect when we bought him, without any history of a significant output in the Premier League.

Can totally see why they also went for Barnes on that left side, who had shown he could consistently contribute goals and assists in the league.

"Meanwhile, Newcastle are in talks with Nottingham Forest over a potential deal for winger Anthony Elanga that could see Elliot Anderson go in the opposite direction."

From Hope in the Gordon to Liverpool article.