NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Our senses of smell are different, that’s fine.

Not convinced he wanted to keep it hidden or if he did, that he managed it, given the stories of him ‘ring-leading’/it involving others.

Given he knew it was illegal and what his punishment would be I'd say him and his mates wanted it kept hidden.

1 minute ago, madras said:

Given he knew it was illegal and what his punishment would be I'd say him and his mates wanted it kept hidden.

Didn’t do a great job of it though, did they? Otherwise we wouldn’t know anything about it and he wouldn’t have been banned. The information was there to be gathered, we didn’t gather it. As I say, it’s personal preference whether you think that represents a failing on the part of the club or not.

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

Didn’t do a great job of it though, did they? Otherwise we wouldn’t know anything about it and he wouldn’t have been banned. The information was there to be gathered, we didn’t gather it. As I say, it’s personal preference whether you think that represents a failing on the part of the club or not.

That's how people get caught, often by accident and there'll be many who don't get caught at all and many who haven't been caught but will in the future.

The club do all sorts of checks on backgrounds etc but this got by, I'm guessing because it was kept hidden.

Gambling illegally will be very difficult to keep tabs on, especially in a different country. Hopefully there are things that have been learned but it’s a very rare occurrence for a player to get banned for illegal gambling so I’m not sure how helpful it’ll be for the future. Just need to forget about it now 

3 hours ago, Holmesy said:

It seems very unlike 'us' under our new owners to leave ourselves so vulnerable to PSR punishment. Were they expecting an influx of revenue from somewhere that failed to materialise? Could the new restrictions on sponsorship deals have left us with a big financial hole to fill?

Either way, to leave it until the very last minute to sort it out is incredibly risky. It's the kind of thing you'd expect under Ashley, not Amanda and co.

I read somewhere the Premier League held up two of our sponsorship deals and currently still scrutinising them which then left us short for the deadline causing the last minute panic.

Again something else working against us. Not that I’m casting aspersions…  

14 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Been here before like but there are methods of finding out about a players character, habits, friendship circles which aren't reliant on CCHQ style surveillance. It happens all the time in the US in the pre-draft process and it basically relies on conversations. I don't think anyone should have been going through his bank statements but I also don't think the 'how could we possibly have known?' argument passes the smell test. There are ways we could have gotten wind of his habits, we just didn't choose to use them. Whether you think that means the recruitment team failed or not depends on what your view of the research process for bringing in a big money signing should look like/involve.

I got absolute pelters when the Tonali rumours around his gambling were announced, for suggesting that our player vetting/research process wasn't robust enough - the usual simpletons on here suggesting I was saying we should get the CIA involved etc.
But it's all too easy to brush off the financial side of things when it's the PL because it feels like Monopoly money - it was 50 million pounds!! 50 fucking million pounds! Anywhere else, where that amount of money is being spent, every minute detail is poured over to minimise risk.

If we didn't have a leave-no-stone-unturned process before, I really hope we've learnt our lesson and do now. And yeah, if that means getting private investigators involved at a cost of £20k or asking Piers Morgan if we can borrow his phone-tapping equipment, just fucking do it. 

Just now, Holmesy said:

I got absolute pelters when the Tonali rumours around his gambling were announced, for suggesting that our player vetting/research process wasn't robust enough - the usual simpletons on here suggesting I was saying we should get the CIA involved etc.
But it's all too easy to brush off the financial side of things when it's the PL because it feels like Monopoly money - it was 50 million pounds!! 50 fucking million pounds! Anywhere else, where that amount of money is being spent, every minute detail is poured over to minimise risk.

If we didn't have a leave-no-stone-unturned process before, I really hope we've learnt our lesson and do now. And yeah, if that means getting private investigators involved at a cost of £20k or asking Piers Morgan if we can borrow his phone-tapping equipment, just fucking do it. 

Usual simpletons :D

17 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

His England experience will make moving to a club like Liverpool seem more appealing.

Like all the other Liverpool  players playing in the game yesterday? 

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I read somewhere the Premier League held up two of our sponsorship deals and currently still scrutinising them which then left us short for the deadline causing the last minute panic.

Again something else working against us. Not that I’m casting aspersions…  

That makes sense! You can imagine them up in the background just long enough that we miss their financial deadlines. This whole thing just stinks to high heaven

10 minutes ago, madras said:

Me ?

No mate, that would've been really fucking rude wouldn't it?! [emoji38] I was referring to the simpletons. No idea who they were..........but they do! 

Edited by Holmesy

3 hours ago, Peder75 said:

Gordon is at the Euros, and has full focus on that. They have no idea if his head has turned or not, or if he has given it any thought at all. Just lazy journalism.

Can't have liked being peddled about by the club and if Liverpool did show interest it's not a stretch to think his head could have been turned. He has total belief in his ability and wants to get to the top.

28 minutes ago, Adam P said:

Madras has been part of the inner clique of simpletons on this forum since the noughties. Plays the wacky amusing uncle nowadays. 

Harsh

But fair.

But I was never part of any clique.

Edited by madras

28 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I'd prefer we acted ethically and didn't violate peoples privacy regardless of how much money we're talking about.

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

I'd prefer we acted ethically and didn't violate peoples privacy regardless of how much money we're talking about.

I wasn't actually being serious about tapping his phone, for the record. [emoji38]

Just now, Conjo said:

Don't think many players would want to join us if they knew we'd hire a fucking PI to dig into their lives either :lol:

Just get a lie detector, like that lad from The Mentalist, he would be canny to bring with before they sign!