Tino Livramento

Yorkie

15 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

Think it's the smarter move than signing a left back, personally.  Yes Trippier is a level above both left backs, but look at the dropoff behind Trippier at right back. It'd weaken the team far more and it's inevitable he can't play a whole CL season. Rotation now and then will get the best out of Trippier.

People seem to forget how consistently good Targett was until his injury. He would give us a 7/10 every game. His injury record is generally solid so perhaps they're banking on a return to that. With Trippier (and potentially now Livramento) as attacking options on the right side, then two less attacking left backs is fine for balance. If we face a team that parks the bus, we can start both Livramento and Trippier since they're both comfortable on the left.

When Bruno/Trippier were out it hurt us and I think we've moved to address the squad depth weaknesses and done it with first-team quality players rather than signing players just to be a backup.

Nailed it.

47 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

Think it's the smarter move than signing a left back, personally.  Yes Trippier is a level above both left backs, but look at the dropoff behind Trippier at right back. It'd weaken the team far more and it's inevitable he can't play a whole CL season. Rotation now and then will get the best out of Trippier.

People seem to forget how consistently good Targett was until his injury. He would give us a 7/10 every game. His injury record is generally solid so perhaps they're banking on a return to that. With Trippier (and potentially now Livramento) as attacking options on the right side, then two less attacking left backs is fine for balance. If we face a team that parks the bus, we can start both Livramento and Trippier since they're both comfortable on the left.

When Bruno/Trippier were out it hurt us and I think we've moved to address the squad depth weaknesses and done it with first-team quality players rather than signing players just to be a backup.

You are correct but the first eleven feels unbalanced comparing the drop off in ability between Trippier and Burn in the fullback positions. We need a left back as well.

Our tactics are designed for a more defensive player on the left hand side though. I'm not saying Burn or Targett are world beaters, but all the examples I think of when talking of top class left backs are more marauding, and I don't think that's what Eddie really wants in his first choice LB. The way we play requires more of a old school defensive full back / ball playing left sided centreback.

Not that I'm proposing this per se... but I wonder if some day we'll see Botman out there. Maybe after we sign Gvardiol.

27 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

Our tactics are designed for a more defensive player on the left hand side though. I'm not saying Burn or Targett are world beaters, but all the examples I think of when talking of top class left backs are more marauding, and I don't think that's what Eddie really wants in his first choice LB. The way we play requires more of a old school defensive full back / ball playing left sided centreback.

Not that I'm proposing this per se... but I wonder if some day we'll see Botman out there. Maybe after we sign Gvardiol.

I think Tierney makes sense personally. He's better going forward than Burn/Targett but still pretty balanced defensively and can play in a back 3 like he does for Scotland.

Edited by ponsaelius

Just now, ponsaelius said:

I think Tierney makes sense personally. He's better going forward than Burn/Targett but still pretty balanced defensively can play in a back 3 like he does for Scotland.

Injured even more often than ASM though. 

28 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

Was thinking similar but more unknown or known pacier taking the “left back” role. 

9 minutes ago, sempuki said:

Southampton's version of Rob M has backed this up. 5 year deal apparently.

Have we seen them both in the same room, at the same time?

42 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

This is very true 

44 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

Piero Hincapie.

8 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

If hes over the injury its a really good signing. Fast, strong, athletic. Future star.

Can only imagine that the medical team would have been thorough as fuck when it came to his acl.