Harvey Barnes

khay

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think for this goal he had his head down and kind of rolled the two defenders, they didn't even realise he was looking for a shot until he was already in space and letting it go. Not sure if it was deliberate by him but it was very deceptive. 

For me it's less about tricking the defenders and more about not allowing the goalie to set his feet and expect a shot.  I do recall the winner against West Ham being from a similar area and him winding up for the shot though, so not sure he always strikes the ball that way.

Bruno for example will always let the ball run in front of him and take a few short quick steps before striking and give the goalie time to set themselves.

Always felt it was a hugely underrated aspect of finishing.

2 minutes ago, Ste said:

Textbook strike to take the slightly heavier touch to work the space then he has the time to work his feet for the optimum technique and let the shot go. 

Some may call it boring, but there aren't many who can do what he does.

He can bore the shit out of me all day long :indi:

3 hours ago, Beren said:

Read that too. Really good piece.

Think there is a middle ground that the likes of Foden, Odegaard etc score (or get rebounds/deflections) from with a reasonable return... not screamers, but not in the box either.

Also read that, and the fun part was that Harvey Barnes was 9th in goal conversion rate of outside the box shots in PL history. Probably gone up now.

image.thumb.png.ede2d989453b5ccb0653f902711a6584.png

Link if anyone wants to read an exceptionally long article on something relatively trivial: https://www.bbc.com/sport/extra/7ruba7shs4/the-slow-death-of-the-screamer

Edited by SEMTEX

Worth noting in that very moment he took the shot, he also had Bruno and Gordon possibly to pass to to get in behind, :lol: and he said NAH, fuck that, hold my beer. 

24 minutes ago, huss9 said:

this lads gonna be a scotland legend.

He should embrace his Scottish side, and just be the Bale-role for Scotland. Give him the ball and let him shoot at every opportunity. 

2 hours ago, OverThere said:

Gordon and Barnes are first team players, so maybe have to rotate them left to right during the game as both seem to prefer the left.

This makes the most sense to me. Keeps both the boys happy, and helps to unsettle other teams.

We think that this goal was better than the West Ham one? West Ham might still pinch it for me, y'kna. Would be interested to know which was the harder strike. 

Have made this point before but Molineux has such ugly aesthetics from the TV angle. 

Screenshot_20240916_145054_YouTube.thumb.jpg.9a25213ed5d35241138cec5c9b55d35e.jpg

So much clutter. Nowt can look as good there. :lol:

Regardless, he strikes a ball absolutely beautifully. Up there with Hatem and Robert as far as that's concerned. 

18 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Worth noting in that very moment he took the shot, he also had Bruno and Gordon possibly to pass to to get in behind, :lol: and he said NAH, fuck that, hold my beer. 

Need to be taking shots from outside the box more, scored from two yesterday and sometimes we end up losing it through too much touch and pass. Worst case they get the ball back because it’s gone over.

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

We think that this goal was better than the West Ham one? West Ham might still pinch it for me, y'kna. Would be interested to know which was the harder strike. 

Have made this point before but Molineux has such ugly aesthetics from the TV angle. 

Screenshot_20240916_145054_YouTube.thumb.jpg.9a25213ed5d35241138cec5c9b55d35e.jpg

Regardless, he strikes a ball absolutely beautifully. Up there with Hatem and Robert as far as that's concerned. 

It’s better than the West Ham goal. But the scenes after that one went in were incredible. Ando losing his mind shouting makes it even better :lol: 

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Their two tier LED ad boards that came to life at kick-off were absolutely lifting, like. Has to be a minor distraction at best for the players on the field. 

I just can't get that excited about the goal because Carra on Sky Sports commentary said the defender made it far too easy for Barnes.

All I could hear from my telly was that the defender was shit and making the space to hit the shot wasn't down to Barnes being good. 

So I think we all need to understand that it wasn't a worldie, it was just shit defending. Unless it was Mo Salah who'd scored it, obviously.

Edited by bobbydazzla

4 hours ago, Kanji said:

I looked at that and they were both definitely onside but you cant take any chances with VAR, sleeves and elbows and all that

39 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

I looked at that and they were both definitely onside but you cant take any chances with VAR, sleeves and elbows and all that

This is what makes the "death of the screamer" even more sad. They are even more enjoyable now because it's the one time you can just celebrate.