Harvey Barnes

khay

1 hour ago, sushimonster85 said:

Could really go either way. Even if (numbers wise) he has a similar season to his last couple and is coming up with consistent goals and assists, just playing in and around the top of the table, playing in Europe, being English, all should see his price go up 20m or so if we chose to move him on in a couple years. 

I don’t see anyone ever paying £55/60m for the lad. 

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

And that’s the thing about our recent transfers… we’re paying a premium. That’s because competition is so high. Chelsea in particular. 

Some bargains here and there but all top clubs in the PL are paying a premium.

32 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don’t see anyone ever paying £55/60m for the lad. 

That's because he's been quite a low profile player with Leicester struggling, before our interest I don't think there'd been that much talk of him. But if he was to have a good season with us, with us being a CL club and constantly on TV, I could quite easily see his value go to £50m+.

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think all of our deals have been pretty good value so far, no?

I don’t see us making 40%+ profit on the likes of Gordon, Barnes, Pope… maybe even Isak.  

The likes of Botman and Bruno, easier to double your money. 

For FFP actual transfer profit doesn’t matter that much. Holding value can be powerful. 

Just now, TRon said:

That's because he's been quite a low profile player with Leicester struggling, before our interest I don't think there'd been that much talk of him. But if he was to have a good season with us, with us being a CL club and constantly on TV, I could quite easily see his value go to £50m+.

Leicester finished 5th twice and won the FA Cup with him in the side. 

He has been linked to Liverpool in the past. 

there's always a Forest or Saudi so maybe. But his West Ham ceiling is £45m ish give it take football inflation. Ultimately I think that’s his level imo

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Leicester finished 5th twice and won the FA Cup with him in the side. 

He has been linked to Liverpool in the past. 

there's always a Forest or Saudi so maybe. But his West Ham ceiling is £45m ish give it take football inflation. Ultimately I think that’s his level imo

Never that simple though is it? Darwin Nunez was wanted by all leading clubs last season, I think he was eventually bought by Liverpool for something like £80m while no one valued Isak enough to take a punt on him for anywhere near that much. Which one would you rather have now?

Of course this is all about opinions, but I value Howe's higher than most. If he wants Barnes so badly, I figure there's good reason for it.

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

Never that simple though is it? Darwin Nunez was wanted by all leading clubs last season, I think he was eventually bought by Liverpool for something like £80m while no one valued Isak enough to take a punt on him for anywhere near that much. Which one would you rather have now?

Of course this is all about opinions, but I value Howe's higher than most. If he wants Barnes so badly, I figure there's good reason for it.

What point are you making? 

Im talking about resale value here. Isak has looked a success but even him because we paid a premium I think we would struggle to turn a 40% profit if we sold him. 

I like Barnes, I think he goes straight into the XI and adds value to the team. But I think his ceiling is limited. And I wouldn’t expect to make a significant profit on him when he’s sold. 

Guess the profit potential mainly comes from Brighton style signings who come in really cheap. I’m sure we will be looking to do that. 

But at the moment we need to add top players that give us a chance in all the completions immediately. 

Hopefully the Caicedo type signings with a massive upside will come next. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Guess the profit potential mainly comes from Brighton style signings who come in really cheap. I’m sure we will be looking to do that. 

But at the moment we need to add top players that give us a chance in all the completions immediately. 

Hopefully the Caicedo type signings with a massive upside will come next. 

That’s the thing. Imo I think Botman, Bruno and Isak have the potential to reach the top of the game.  City, Man U, Barca, Madrid, Juve, Bayern etc. if all goes well I can see it. Potentially top quality players.  I assume Tonali is in this group.  

Pope, Trippier, just great value for money. 

Gordon and to a lesser extent Barnes. Sure they lift the quality of the squad / first team.  But the ceiling is lower (imo).  

Because of FFP I thought we would prioritise value for money. But Gordon, Tonali and possible Barnes deal are all premium transfers. 

44 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

What point are you making? 

Im talking about resale value here. Isak has looked a success but even him because we paid a premium I think we would struggle to turn a 40% profit if we sold him. 

I like Barnes, I think he goes straight into the XI and adds value to the team. But I think his ceiling is limited. And I wouldn’t expect to make a significant profit on him when he’s sold. 

Why do we need to turn a 40% profit on a signing? What's wrong with a 20% profit for example?

Obviously we'd love to make 150% profit if we could on every player, but the bottom line should be we recoup our money if it doesn't work out surely?

It feels like a classic case of a player the club admires has become available at a price they think is fair. Same as Gordon. 

However, whether it's right for them to pull the trigger, when those funds could be better spent strengthening other positions, remains to be seen.

But I think the club have said on record a number of times if the right player becomes available, then they won't hesitate to act.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Why do we need to turn a 40% profit on a signing? What's wrong with a 20% profit for example?

Obviously we'd love to make 150% profit if we could on every player, but the bottom line should be we recoup our money if it doesn't work out surely?

If we get our money back in 3 years we’ll have made profit FFP wise of 18 million (60%) on a 30 million deal. 

Edited by clintdempsey

1 minute ago, clintdempsey said:

If we get our money back in 3 years we’ll have made profit FFP wise of 18 million (60%) on a 30 million deal. 

I'm sure that would be the dream scenario, but football isn't played on spreadsheets, so we do have to balance that with players who are actually available, and that would improve the team first and foremost. Especially given buying them isn't an exact science.

I think we’re also seeing why the multi club model has been adopted.

FFP had a lot of good intention - protecting fans and clubs from ruin - but it also sits at odds with the capitalist approach to economics that football has long run on. 

If we signed a promising Brazilian kid to our team in Belgium, then flipped him here for 2m before selling for 10m our purchasing power grows. Do that four times over and suddenly you’re afforded greater flexibility in the market. It’s all a bit messy. 

6 minutes ago, Viana said:

I think we’re also seeing why the multi club model has been adopted.

FFP had a lot of good intention - protecting fans and clubs from ruin - but it also sits at odds with the capitalist approach to economics that football has long run on. 

If we signed a promising Brazilian kid to our team in Belgium, then flipped him here for 2m before selling for 10m our purchasing power grows. Do that four times over and suddenly you’re afforded greater flexibility in the market. It’s all a bit messy. 

We should have gone multi club already, not sure why we are being so slow. FFP has zero intention and it’s working as designed.