Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 12/08/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Who plays RB in that Villa team?

Cash.

He's been trying a system whereby Torres plays a sort of leftmost CB / LB role, depending on the flow of the game. I think we'll see it at the start of the season, at least until Moreno is back.

We're going to miss him, he's a massively important part of how we played last year.

He's insanely attacking, as you'd have noticed against us last season

Honestly, Villa look a mile more appealing than Spurs, for example. Much more balance and depth.

Neither us nor Villa should be finishing below Spurs.

It's a real bone of contention for me that anyone can think Spurs have a better first team or squad than either of us.

Just now, STM said:

Honestly, Villa look a mile more appealing than Spurs, for example. Much more balance and depth.

It's a real bone of contention for me that anyone can think Spurs have a better first team or squad than either of us.

Spurs seem to build collections of players rather than teams in recent years.

I also think the entire Kane circus is not great, brilliant player though he is.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Think the only thing with Villa is what happens if Watkins misses any real length of time, they're very light upfront.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Villa have to pray Watkins stays for though right?

Archer looks very promising and is not going on loan, but yes, although Diaby can plays across the front, we could do with another striking option.

On the flip side, Watkins never seems to get injured.

Ah, tempting fate.

1 minute ago, brummie said:

Spurs seem to build collections of players rather than teams in recent years.

I also think the entire Kane circus is not great, brilliant player though he is.

They are the most "one man team" you will ever see. The rest of their squad is made up of very average players and even some of their better ones have been fighting relegation battles recently.

People will say "well Bentancur and Kulusevski are good players", aye well so are Palinha and Mitrovic but I'd be annoyed if Fulham finished above us.

1 minute ago, STM said:

They are the most "one man team" you will ever see. The rest of their squad is made up of very average players and even some of their better ones have been fighting relegation battles recently.

People will say "well Bentancur and Kulusevski are good players", aye well so are Palinha and Mitrovic but I'd be annoyed if Fulham finished above us.

I do think Spurs will be interesting without Kane, if Ange can put his arm around Richarlison and get him firing again. Their ceiling will be lower than with Kane but I think they could be an OK team. Problems at CB though, for sure. Wonder if Tanganga might get a second chance. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Nobody has two strikers as good as Watkins like. 

I mean, we do, but normally...

Emery is a massive fan of Watkins, as he does literally everything he tells him to do, and he also works his bollocks off. 

He's not a fan of players who aren't able to follow instructions. I know no managers are, but with Emery I think it is extreme.

21 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I do think Spurs will be interesting without Kane, if Ange can put his arm around Richarlison and get him firing again. Their ceiling will be lower than with Kane but I think they could be an OK team. Problems at CB though, for sure. Wonder if Tanganga might get a second chance. 

There signing a new CB today from Germany.

Also a striker from Argentina and still linked with the Leverkusen defender on top of the one from Wolfsburg.

Their spending will go behind 200 million, easily. Can't see them doing that unless Kane is definitely leaving. It's a rebuild job like 2013.

How would this go for a starting 11? 

Pope

Trippier   Schar              Botman      Burn

Tonali              Bruno

Almiron                Isak               Joelinton 

Wilson

Gordon, Barnes, Murphy, Anderson, Longstaff off the bench. 

45 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

How would this go for a starting 11? 

Pope

Trippier   Schar              Botman      Burn

Tonali              Bruno

Almiron                Isak               Joelinton 

Wilson

Gordon, Barnes, Murphy, Anderson, Longstaff off the bench. 

I don’t think Howe will go with a no. 10 - he’ll play a holding midfielder instead - and I also don’t think Tonali will start (I also suspect it will be one of Wilson / Isak)

Not a criticism of your selection, but more a prediction from me :) 

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I don’t think Howe will go with a no. 10 - he’ll play a holding midfielder instead - and I also don’t think Tonali will start (I also suspect it will be one of Wilson / Isak)

Not a criticism of your selection, but more a prediction from me :) 

Perhaps this: 

Pope

Trippier      Schar               Botman       Burn

Anderson    Bruno   Joelinton

Almiron               Isak                     Gordan

Tonali, Barnes, Longstaff, Wilson off the bench, 

10 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I really hope Tonali plays. 

I can’t see Eddie starting Tonali yet. Unless there are injuries of course.

Think he’ll want him to bed in a bit more tactically and get used to the PL like he did with Bruno initially. 

2 minutes ago, LV said:

I can’t see Eddie starting Tonali yet. Unless there are injuries of course.

Think he’ll want him to bed in a bit more tactically and get used to the PL like he did with Bruno initially. 

Bruno didn’t have an entire pre-season with the team though.

2 minutes ago, BeloEmre said:

Bruno didn’t have an entire pre-season with the team though.

There is that.

But does that really prepare you for real PL games? 

We’ll see if he starts him I guess. I just don’t think he will yet.