Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 12/08/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Schar being doubtful and potentially Lascelles starting swings this in their favour I think. The lack of Schar’s long range bombs over their high line will be a huge miss.

I think we'll see the following side:

Pope; Trippier, Lascelles, Botman, Burn; Bruno, Joelinton, Anderson; Gordon, Almiron, Isak

Don't think Tonali will start, if Anderson doesn't get the nod then I'd expect to see Longstaff in the midfield instead.

1 minute ago, AJ9 said:

Schar being doubtful and potentially Lascelles starting swings this in their favour I think. The lack of Schar’s long range bombs over their high line will be a huge miss.

Is Schar doubtful ? I thought his omission from last weekend was precautionary.

I thought I was reading in the transfer rumours thread that people were expecting him to be out. I have no source other than the chatter on here.

Edited by AJ9

Think Tonali will get thrown in for this. Not usually Howes ideal way to introduce a player, but Longstaff isn't going to be ready to start, and I think he sees Anderson as more of a forward than CM. 

This is a tough way to start the season. Feel like may have just enough to scrape the win. Going 2-1. (Barnes on his league debut and Isak). 

I think playing tougher matches at the beginning of the season is preferable if we're well prepared. It can be a better chance to catch teams off guard while sharpness/fitness aren't optimal and new players from other leagues aren't bedded in yet.

I actually don't mind Lascelles for this either. Schar got absolutely rinsed by Watkins last season and the one thing Lascelles has over every CB at the club is some pace once he gets going.

Pope

Trippier     Lascelles  Botman   Dummett

Longstaff Bruno Joelinton

Almiron    Isak   Barnes

Edited by TBG

33 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I think playing tougher matches at the beginning of the season is preferable if we're well prepared. It can be a better chance to catch teams off guard while sharpness/fitness aren't optimal and new players from other leagues aren't bedded in yet.

I actually don't mind Lascelles for this either. Schar got absolutely rinsed by Watkins last season and the one thing Lascelles has over every CB at the club is some pace once he gets going.

Not sure about the pace part, but Lascelles is usually fairly dependable defensively when called on. His main weakness has always been playing out of defence, but he could probably do a job in an emergency.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

Not sure about the pace part, but Lascelles is usually fairly dependable defensively when called on. His main weakness has always been playing out of defence, but he could probably do a job in an emergency.

I remember an interview with Maxi where he said Lascelles is one of the quickest at the club. He's not got great acceleration but he does have a big, powerful running style.

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I remember an interview with Maxi where he said Lascelles is one of the quickest at the club. He's not got great acceleration but he does have a big, powerful running style.

That's why I said I wasn't sure tbh. I can buy into that, never thought he was as bad as some make out on here. He can usually do a job when called on.

40 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

What? [emoji38]

On 08/08/2023 at 10:10, NSG said:

Andy Madley refereeing this.

Can’t wait to see what utter madness he brings to this first game of the season, when referees are generally batshit for the first few games as it is.

Edited by LV

1 minute ago, JackieDoor said:

Pope

Trippier

Schar

Botman

Burn

Tonali

Bruno

Joelinton

Almiron

Isak

Barnes

Burn to CB and Targett left back if Schar is out.

Think he will play Gordon instead of Barnes.

Certain he'll also play Lascelles if Schar is out.

He's definitely not quick, now I realise it's coming from Hayden who's a slug, that explains it.

He was probably bantering his team mate considering he's put him against two of the quickest players at the club at the time.

On a serious note, I like Lascelles always have, one of Rafas disciples, golden in the championship, only thing was he seemed to regress, and looking at him now, movement is probably his weakness.

Villa's pace on the break will leave Lascelles in the dirt if he ventures up to the halfway line.

19 minutes ago, JackieDoor said:

Pope

Trippier

Schar

Botman

Burn

Tonali

Bruno

Joelinton

Almiron

Isak

Barnes

Burn to CB and Targett left back if Schar is out.

Think he will play Gordon instead of Barnes.

Agree, this! And the switches.