Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 12/08/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

7 minutes ago, LV said:

I can’t see Eddie starting Tonali yet. Unless there are injuries of course.

Think he’ll want him to bed in a bit more tactically and get used to the PL like he did with Bruno initially. 

I'd agree if everyone were fit. However with Willock still out and Longstaff having a disrupted pre season I think Tonali will play more than Eddie would want ideally.

There is also the argument that if Bruno and Botman had gone straight in they might have just hit the ground running anyway, there seems to be an assumption that giving them time definitely helped them (and it may have) but we'll never know for sure.

With Tonali I don't think it's paramount to start him straight away just on the basis we have a lot of cover in that position at the moment.

6 minutes ago, madras said:

I'd agree if everyone were fit. However with Willock still out and Longstaff having a disrupted pre season I think Tonali will play more than Eddie would want ideally.

That’s a good point 

3 hours ago, Alberto2005 said:

There is also the argument that if Bruno and Botman had gone straight in they might have just hit the ground running anyway, there seems to be an assumption that giving them time definitely helped them (and it may have) but we'll never know for sure.

With Tonali I don't think it's paramount to start him straight away just on the basis we have a lot of cover in that position at the moment.

Botman started already from GW 2. I think he did pretty well in the early stages.

I think it will be a similar team and system to the one that ended the season. So Tonali won't start. A big factor behind him being the No 1 target I think is that he will allow for a wider variety of tactical changes/system to be applied before and during games. I see him playing this off the bench game changing role in this game.

Gonna guess the usual back 5 plus Bruno, Big Joe, Anderson, Gordon, Isak and Miggy starting this one. Purely based on pre-season. Tonali getting Bruno'd into the team after a period of time. Eddie already said Barnes is behind the other players physically at the moment.

12 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

This is probably how Villa will line up next week 

Very interesting. 

Pau operating as a left-back likely means Villa will be a back three in build up. It's an idea I first saw Guardiola use in the Premier League and Howe copied it with us (using Dan Burn as the CB/LB hybrid). It'll negate his weakness in the air and give them greater strength when defending counter attacks. My wonder is whether Bailey and Diaby will fancy doing the back tracking required. 

2 minutes ago, Viana said:

Very interesting. 

Pau operating as a left-back likely means Villa will be a back three in build up. It's an idea I first saw Guardiola use in the Premier League and Howe copied it with us (using Dan Burn as the CB/LB hybrid). It'll negate his weakness in the air and give them greater strength when defending counter attacks. My wonder is whether Bailey and Diaby will fancy doing the back tracking required. 

He played there last week in pre season, didn’t look great tbh but obviously it was only a friendly.

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

He played there last week in pre season, didn’t look great tbh but obviously it was only a friendly.

Yeah, it's a different skillset tbf. I know Burn gets pelters from some sections of our fan base, but the fact he can transition between the two roles in-game is important. It's a mindset shift as much as anything.

Pope

Trippier Schar Botman Burn

Anderson Bruno Joelinton

Almiron Isak Gordon

Subs: Dubravka, Livramento, Lascelles, Targett/Miley, Longstaff, Tonali, Barnes, Murphy,Wilson.

Edited by NSG

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Played there the first half of our game at Valencia tonight and clearly, won't be doing it next week (i had assumed he would do), much better when Digne came on.

Coutinho has looked brilliant these last few showings, and Philogene is going to get the nod ahead of Bailey I think.

I also thought Tielemans looked excellent again. It's nice to have options.

Edited by brummie

12 hours ago, gbandit said:

At home I’m definitely backing us to win against that line up first game of the season, partly due to them having a couple of new bodies in there who won’t be completely up to speed 

And Tyrone Mings.

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Not many press as intense as us mind. Blew them away up here. They're good and capable of beating us but a lot of people over-rating Villa imo. 

Took us to pieces pretty comprehensively at their place.

4 minutes ago, loki679 said:

Took us to pieces pretty comprehensively at their place.

I overbuilt Brighton in my head for a similar reason start of last season. Could have been a similar score but they weren't all that up here. They're capable of a top 6-7 push but I'd expect us to finish above them. 

Their results for over half a season were CL form weren't they? They've been very good in the transfer market too.

We'll beat anyone at SJP (other than Man City) when on it, but Villa do look very strong like. There's very little between the two squads or managers from what we've seen imo.

They've got a better squad but we've got a better manager. Home advantage should tip things our way, but it'll be close.

We've risen to the occasion so many times over the last year and a half. It's still scary but I've given up betting against us.

2 minutes ago, Cronky said:

They've got a better squad but we've got a better manager. Home advantage should tip things our way, but it'll be close.

We've risen to the occasion so many times over the last year and a half. It's still scary but I've given up betting against us.

I'm definitely seeing something different to Villa clearly. I was thinking we have the better squad but Emery is the leveller. :lol:

I'm nervous for this one. Villa have improved massively since we took them apart at home 4-0. The last 2 meetings they've cut through our defence easier than any other team I can think of. However, we are at home and it's going to be jumping. 

My only concerns are that Emery seems to have played his core 11 together for most pre season, and our first 11 won't play together until that game. Whilst this might see villa come out the blocks strong (we've seen that before) maybe the game will be won second half through our subs who might be sharper