Newcastle United 5-1 Aston Villa - 12/08/23

Disco

Atmosphere even was good in the posh seats near gallowgate end, songs came round from strawberry corner and people were joining in.

Leazes is a lost cause like, been dreadful everytime i've been there bar Man City and Villa last season.

Was strange watching Villa. You can see the talent and you can see the potential within the team method at times. There were passages when the used the ball very effectively.

But without the ball they were not consistent nor cohesive. That’s not what I expected.

Hope for their sakes Mings isn’t that bad because none of their other CBs looked as capable defensively.

Positives 

Chance creation - scored five, could have easily been more. Tonali, Isak and Wilson all missed decent chances and Joe had one off the line.

The press - Our press was as suffocating as error and forced plenty of errors in the final third.

Debuts - Tonali was superb and Barnes looked like a machine when he came on. 

Options off the bench - We brought on Longstaff, Anderson, Barnes and Wilson and still have Willock to come back. 

Negatives 

The left hand channel - First half Diaby constantly found space down the left, second half it was Cash. I haven't watched it back yet so I don't know who was tracking those runners, but it ultimately led to the goal and the Cash sitter.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Negatives 

The left hand channel - First half Diaby constantly found space down the left, second half it was Cash. I haven't watched it back yet so I don't know who was tracking those runners, but it ultimately led to the goal and the Cash sitter.

Agree with all your positives and partly the neg. 

They did have more joy down our left but, for their goal, Tripps and Miggy didn't close down Dinge, Watkins was totally unmarked (Schar) then Diaby unmarked as both Botman AND Burn marked Bailey. Gordon not tracking Diaby eithe?? 

Bit of a catalogue which, I'm sure, will be dissected by Howe etc etc

12 hours ago, Gawalls said:
12 hours ago, TRon said:

Seconded. Keep firing the bow son!

And with his assists - he has another string on that bow.

Releasing both the bow and the string at the same time though, that arrow is going nowhere :huff:

10 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Agree with all your positives and partly the neg. 

They did have more joy down our left but, for their goal, Tripps and Miggy didn't close down Dinge, Watkins was totally unmarked (Schar) then Diaby unmarked as both Botman AND Burn marked Bailey. Gordon not tracking Diaby eithe?? 

Bit of a catalogue which, I'm sure, will be dissected by Howe etc etc

Villa had no problem to find space between our lines. I´m a bit suprised we didnt seem to adjust that. But fair play to Villa, some really crips passing.

For all the love, Burn really is the weak link. Upgrade there and we cooking!

I'm with Eddie on this game. '5-1 flatters us to some extent. They gave us a hard game"

I think, personally, they were a threat everytime they had the ball. They just didn't convert it into chances. We, conversely, we're ruthless. They did give up mind. 

Have to say watching all the extended but, even tho I did like the cunt, their keeper got a hand, or foot to nearly everything. Very unlucky. *

The Wilson chance from the Barnes pass wasn't a fuck up. Was a great save. 

* cunt should've been sent off like 😂😂😂

7 minutes ago, ATB said:

Villa had no problem to find space between our lines. I´m a bit suprised we didnt seem to adjust that. But fair play to Villa, some really crips passing.

For all the love, Burn really is the weak link. Upgrade there and we cooking!

Dan Burn man. Despite his limitations there's something I really appreciate about having him in the team.

Always makes his present felt somehow physically when engaging attackers and pushes people around on set pieces.

I appreciate the guy still, although at some point an upgrade there will indeed be necessary.

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

Was strange watching Villa. You can see the talent and you can see the potential within the team method at times. There were passages when the used the ball very effectively.

But without the ball they were not consistent nor cohesive. That’s not what I expected.

Hope for their sakes Mings isn’t that bad because none of their other CBs looked as capable defensively.

They played through our press with some nice patterns from the back a few times, which most teams will struggle to do, but we'll never play against a higher, more dissorganised line all season.

They'll sort it out like, unfortunately, as they pointed out on MOTD they just gave us far too much time in midfield to pick out a pass, it was the same in pre-season.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

41 minutes ago, Peppe said:

Releasing both the bow and the string at the same time though, that arrow is going nowhere :huff:

It makes no sense but does he give a fuck? Does anyone?

Just had a skim of Villa's forum, found it interesting how they all think the ref was getting paid off, and giving us every decision under he sun. Where I was thinking the ref was terrible and gave them everything. 

Cognitive dissonance is real I guess :lol:

Just now, 54 said:

Just had a skim of Villa's forum, found it interesting how they all think the ref was getting paid off, and giving us every decision under he sun. Where I was thinking the ref was terrible and gave them everything. 

Cognitive dissonance is real I guess :lol:

Cash could easily have been off for persistent fouling on Gordon, took about 6 tackles to get a yellow.